Kyosho Spitfire 40 (the old one )

Vinno

Lo again chaps ,
     another bout of daft  questions to put to the floor....
Just managed to get hold of a kyosho spitfire 40 with fixed u/c.
Two questions to anyone who has knowledge of said beast.
Is the wing of the fixed u/c version ok to take retracts without too much fuss ?
Engine wise am torn between a 2 stroke 46 and a 4 stroke 52 what would you guys recommend ?

Thanks as always

Vin

A 52 4s was not fantastic on this or the Kyosho p51, I ended up putting a 52 2s to get the models alive! I have retracts in my spit and they fine, I belly land 99% of the time as they prone to nose over on landing (I fly of a rather rough patch). If you need some retracts for it I have a set from my kyosho p51 that I removed when I decided just to keep it fixed gear and a retract servo if your interested!

Yes the wing of the fixed u/c version can take retracts, you will need to cut out the wheel wells, did your get the plastic wells with the kit? if not you just fill the gaps with balsa!

If you stuck with engine choice go with the 46 for sure! I made some forums on these models about a year ago on this site! somwhere

Vinno go with the 46 and its more than enough!! I just put the 52 2s on cause it was from a deceased and the models flew on a 52 4s but they where sluggish and short of top end power!Just confirm the spit you have is the one with a blue underside, if not i am sure the retracts with fit fine! what you say £15-20 for the retracts inc servo and postage (they graupner mechanical) and the servo is a Hi-tech retract one! pop me your email add in a PM and I will take a pic of the retracts and servo for you in the morning when i can get them out the spare room!

I have this model too- the later version with green / grey colour scheme ( and that terrible blue underside!)  I have fitted an OS70 FS and retracts . AUW is 5Lb 11oz (dry)  - this includes 2 flight batteries ( seperate one for retracts. )    THe undercarriage is a little wobbly and of course, works the wrong way but does at least make ground handling easier than a narrow track ( inward closing) retract system and in the air is not noticable.

Four stroke every time for warbirds.
Remember....this is not a jet - IMO nothing looks or sounds worse than a Spitfire screaming along too fast.
Four stroke will allow a nicer pitch speed from a larger prop.
Keep the weight down as far as poss, and keep the screaming 2 strokes for fun stuff.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 06/06/2009 11:03:49

if your going to go for one of those go for the 70 dont waste time and money on the 52 4s. It will fly the model but on full power! I have tried the same engine on the spit and p51 and results are poor! I had the 2s to hand so they are both 2s models now! The 4s was dontated to the flying cub for a piper cub.

When you can afford the 4s then you can get a new cowling from carbon copy and convert it to a 4s, by then you will have a feel for the model and see if its what you want etc, IMO thats the way to go then you keep both models! better to have more planes than few!

Hi, i had the early version and now own the latest version.
Both of these were fitted with Super Custom .52 four strokes, no ballast needed and they really do fly very well.
Out of interest, i used 10% glow fuel and a 12 x 6 prop.
Retracts can be fitted to the Mk 1 version, wheel wells are supplied, you will need a low profile servo though ( i use a Hi-tec one)
Build it as per the instructions, and as i say, using the SC FS NO ballast needed.

Play with the model up high, you will be suprised at how slow you can fly it without a wing dropping, when it does, just throttle up and it is magic !!

Hope this helps a bit
Regards as always
Chris.

Got hold of an sc70 FS from a clubmate but will not fit, is just to long to achieve the 115mm from firewall to prop as per the manual, guess its a 52 or a two stroke...utter pants was looking forward to that!
Cheers Chris , am a little confused by some of the conflicting opinions as some seem to think the 52 not enough to get this plodding along nicely.Not after a rocket ship.

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 14/06/2009 21:56:51

Hi Vinnon, never used an RCV, they are supposed to be very good engines though.
As i say, the SC .52 WILL easily power the Spitfire, loads of grunt for reliable take-off's, and will fly around very happily on just over half throttle.
I did in my first one start with an MDS .40 , even tnough it flew well enough it just did not sound right, hence the SC fourstroke.

Regards as always
Chris.