Cheapskate indoor foamy bipe

Ok not quite my 1st ever own design but it is if you discount those I've made from bits of other aircraft. this one has come entirely from my own head and hands but does owe its inspiration to a guy who sent the mag some pics of bipes he's made using depron from supermarket own brand pizza packaging.

I wanted a slow floaty indoor bipe and being tempararily between jobs funds are short so building one using recycled packageing seemed a good idea.

having collected a quantity of depron circles and many meat trays of a similar material and spending many evenings with my 2D cad programme I'm now about to start building.

the basic vital stats will be wingspan 468mm length 390mm weight may be as much as 4 or 5ozs

The outline drawings below are just part of the full set i've drawn up

Advert

Phil
If I read your drawing correctly it is an "interesting" wing shape, not quite sure of its aerodynamic qualities.

Is the fuselage a balsa frame structure?
Just a thought but at this size I would have thought that Depron sheet on Depron formers would be plenty strong enough with local balsa reinforcement just for the heavy bits i.e. the motor and battery. Overall it might not be that much lighter but it would be cheaper!

Indoor RC is a real challenge - keep posting.

Thanks one and all Simon the curve is to the rear of the wing allowing for huge ailerons if required. the  1st prototype is currently on the bench and yes the rear section is balsa frame work and will be left open the rest is depron skin over depron formers with probably light card/plasticard skin on the curvy bits a whacky racer / stop the pigeon (vulture sqn) look is what I'm aiming for I've even got a tiny mutley and Dick dastardly to pilot the 1st couple of prototypes. the motor will be the same as I used for the tiger moth designed by foamie dave photo's of the progress so far will be forthcoming tomorrow

1st a few photo's of progress as of this morning.

things have moved on a little since then. my estimated weight is about 200g and with a total main wing area of 990cm^2 that gives me a miniscule wing loading of 0.2g/ cm^2  or 0.05oz per inch^2 that sounds ridiculously light what do the experts think

Edited By Phil Winks on 08/06/2009 17:18:37

well here we go all I need now is a calm day or a free sports hall (some hope £30 an hour hereabouts) and I'll get to see how the prototype flies if at all  I've left the wheels of for now as I intend to try her over longish grass for the 1st flights she has come out bang on 200g but looks like about 5/10g of weight needs to be added to achieve correct CoG.

Thanks Andy. Ailerons are prob going to be added when I see how she behaves on 3 channels and yes they will be quite large almost all of the curved trailing edge of the upper wings however adding them will add weight so I'm waiting to see if they're neccasery

Phil
Looks ok but big prop/short wingspan/limited dihedral does suggest roll control issues when under power.
I would also round off the tail surfaces. A square leading edge particularly can produce rather variable lift with small changes in the angle of attack, not ideal characteristics for a tail plane.

Well that's my 2 pennyworth but then what do I know!