Electricy Size Zero

First off, just wanted to thank Peter for a wonderfull little plane!
This is my first plan build, infact apart from my tutor 40 artf, its my first build of any sort!

All in all its gone well, the fuse is covered and all but finnished, tail feathers are complete and done and the wing is almost ready to cover. My first question is wieght. With all the components inc a 3cell 1800 li-po she will come in at about 2.25 pound, definatly no more than 2.5, is this ok?

Next up is do I check the CofG without or with the battery in place? sounds silly but you check the I.C. version with an empty tank!

The next one is how do I check incidence, I'm sure its fine as I have followed the plans, but would be good to know how to check!

And last but not least, anybody got an idea for my next plan build??? I have a brand new SC 120 FS looking for a home! Something scale thats going to stretch my building skills a little more without being too hard, is fairly acrobatic without being stupidly hard for a novice's second / third plane to fly and isnt too bad in windy conditions as I live atop of the pennines lol! OH and MUST take the 120fs

Thanks for any info

Brian

Advert

Hi Brian,  Glad you like Size Zero, it is a nice little model.

Weight is roughly the same as mine which was 2 lbs 7 1/2 ounces so no problem there.

Check the CG with the battery in place. WE check with an empty tank because we burn the fuel off. batteries don't get lighter as they discharge.

Incidence check. Set the model up on a level surface so that the top line of the fuselage is parallel to that surface. Insert a pin in the centre of curvature of the leading edge. Measure from the pin to the suface and from the trailing edge to the surface. The measurements should be the same. This gives you the 0 degrees incidence that I use. it means that the model flies eqaully well inverted.

If the front is higher than the trailing edeg that is OK. You have slight positive incidence which is OK and the model will fly just as well but will climb a lot more on full power unless you triom it out.

If the front is lower that the trailing edge correct it. You have negative incidence and that can make the model hard to control. See the long discussion in the Miss Demeanor thread.

I can't help with models for 120 engines, I never use anything bigger than a .40 FS or a .32 two stroke these days and have never built anything for an engine that size.

Many thanks Peter for the great info and fast reply!

I will check the incidence tonight (that was a really good simple exsplination!) I forgot to ask you for control surface deflection measurments for a beginner, and high rates too please.

I have really enjoyed the build and have caught the 'balsa bashing bug' now. I had started 'werewolf' but left it on the shelf as this model seemed easier, but once size zero is complete, werewolf will be continued while I start looking for the next plan for the 120fs

Once again many thanks

Brian

Thanks again Peter!

I've noticed you did an artical called ' Design It Yourself ' but cant find anything on here, what magazine issue was it in? Just i'm starting to lean that way as I cant find a suitable plan for my next build after werewolf. I have always been a huge fan of Martin-Bakers MB5 and am thinking along those lines for a home for my 120fs. Steep learning curve for sure, but a challenge is something I enjoy! The Fuse seems fairly easy to make and I have a few Ideas for that already, but the down side would be the relatively small wing area! (I think it may require being built a little larger than a true to scale job so she would fly a little nicer!!

The hard part for me would be finding the right scale/weight for the intended engine, aerofoil type to use and wing build design (tho I had considered just using scaling up a wing design like yours with the appropriate aerofoil?????) Obviously this would be a long term build for me (give me a chance to get my fling skills up to warbird standard!)

Sorry for all the questions, hope I'm not driving you mad!

Brian

• 3 weeks later...