Powering the Flycam One 2

Is it possible to power the Flycam One 2 by taking power from a spare channel on my Futaba 606fs receiver.
I have plugged a servo lead into a spare channel and checked the voltage and its 5v which is what the Flycam needs.
What I am worried about is drawing too much current and damaging the receiver.
The flycam user guide specifies +5v @ 500ma which seems quite a large current draw.

Another possibility would be to make a  Y lead and share the 5v from the BEC. I am using a Flight Tech Synergy 35A.
Again, does anyone see a problem with doing this.

Any help would be great.

Jeremy 

Advert

Phil, David.

Thanks for the help. Phil, that makes perfect sense. The +ve and -ve connections on the RX are on a bus.  I will give it a try. The battery on the flycam just doesn't last. I used it last night set to take 1 picture every 4 secs and got less than 1 minute of battery life. That was after a full 3 hour charge!  Got a couple of good picture though .    

Hi Jeremy, yes this is an interesting topic & one I have had some thoughts on.....the Flycam switch unit (that allows you to use a spare channel to operate the shutter, start/stop the video) does indeed seem to also power the camera. & seems to pull about 230mA according to my meter. This is fine if you know about it & particularly if you are using a BEC on an electric model because the low voltage cutoff setting will alert you to the fact that your flight battery is flat by cutting the motor.

Much more worrying if you are flying ic with a typical1500-1700mah Rx pack as the first inkling you have of a low Rx battery may be when your model stops responding!!!!

If you are flying IC then I would urge caution & lots of battery monitoring until you feel comfortable with the safe duration of the Rx battery....or possibly a better solution would be to use a seperate NiMh battery for the camera as we do sometimes with retract servos!!!

Interesting , I have managed two movies on youtube both in excess of 4 minutes and when i have taken photos using a 2 gig SD card i got over 70 photo's.
Just a thought but you do have an SD card dont you?
The camera has a built in memory but it is very small and the camera shuts down when it is full
D

Hi David. Yes I have a 2gig SD card. The pix I got when I used the flycam in flight were stored on the card. When I ended the flight the camera had turned itself off. I did a test this evening at home using power from a spare rx channel and got 15 mins of video before I switched it off. So I think I might have a poor battery in the flycam.