ESKY - Honey Bee King II

Dave Wilson

My cusin got me a ESKY Honey Bee King II (as an apology for wrecking my P38 during test flight)and I am just about getting the hang of it. It looks good and flyes well but I think I will need a few more months of practice before I can realy put it through its paces.
One thing I would like to do though, as I do with all my projects, is personalise it a little. I have been looking at the High Torque website and there seems to be some nice conversion kits on there (body shells). Does anyone know of any other sites that have kits as I would like to see if there are any other than the usualy Jet Ranger and UH-1C type.
Thanks
Dave

• 1 month later...
Advert

Yeah,try Heliguy.com and Nitrotek. I'm getting my Bee 2 today and will put it through the ringer on sat & sun.I use to be quite proficient on the old Heli's a long time ago and I decided I would get this to get back in to things. I did get a Blade cx2 but that was just to easy for me (for sale,mint if anyone interested).I hope to get a couple of vids of it on to youtube and might do a small review for those that are interested.Later in the month I will be upgrading it with all the extras if needed.Best of luck with yours,keep the blades turning!

Hi Gregg
Had a look at both sites and loads more. They all seem very expensive at nearly £90 or more (get a new chopper for that).
Now going for next best thing and making one myself. just getting the prototype going at the moment, my own version of a gunship.
see album http://www.modelflying.co.uk/gallery/images.asp?sp=&v=5&UAbN=285.
Once the prototype is done and all the mesurments are spot on, I will make up the real thing and poss post the plans up in the forum

Thanks for the info and have fun with the BEE 2 :-)

Oh... done some stickers for my Bee King to print out. Will fit Bee 2 nicely see album.

Dave

Well got my one yesterday,unfortunately due to a heavy work load i didn't have time to really have a good look and only a quick test fly.The first thing that worried me was after fitting the supplied batteries to the TX it didnt work,i messed around with the batteries and eventualy it did work. It would seem that the batteries have too much room to move around and there for dont get a propper connection.Pulling the contact springs seem to have helped and fitting rechargeable batteries might help further as they tend to be thicker.The other thing was a huge piece of velcro is supplied to secure the battery which is far too long and difficult to use so something else will have to be sorted for that and the arial is extremely long from the reciever so some thought over the weekend will hopefully come up with a resolve for that.I was also surprised to find that there was not a mains addapter for the charger.Luckily i have one from my Blade CX2 thats a perfect match.All that aside I grabed the heli, did a quick check all was running the right way and then up it went.Only a trimming hover at first.It lifted effortlessly and a lot quieter than i expected.A rough trim and a slightly unsteady hover was maintained.Its extremely sensative to the sticks and ground effect but it gave me a real buzz and i cant wait till the weekend. I will be filming it too step by step.Sorry if i have gone on a bit but i thought this might be helpfull to any noobs to the hobby.

when you say "Bee 2" do you mean the Honeybee CP2? If so, I've just got one aswell from Rc Scale. It cost £91 delivered from hong kong which is quite impressive.
Gregg, do you find that there are two "pitch settings"; one that barely atains flight and another, that springs into action about 2 clicks off full throttle. Is this just my example or have you had any similar problems?
Jonathan

OK.Had seconde flight this evening in the workshop at work after everyone had gone home.Had a quick check over and up it went.Took a bit of time trimming it and had to add a little pitch which helped.Nice steady hover, a few tentative circles but no probs and finally got over that first knee wobble. A couple of landings and then a circuit sweet as. After landing at loss of power I did a check over. I could smell the motor was very hot and then I noticed it.My fault entirely and because I was in a rush and didn,t take time.I should have known better than to miss such a simple thing. The tail boom supports were nicely tucked up the side with the fin in a vertical position. Thats how they pack it and I didnt even notice it.People, preperation is everything,the first rule and I forgot. Well no damage but now it doesn't fit in the box anymore unless I want to unscrew it each time so off to the camera shop to buy a big metal case for it.

Plese tell me if my reports are getting on anyones nerves but I thought that my mistakes would help others not to do the same.I have just had another flight at work,fully charged,trimmed and balanced.Checked the blade pitch and the motor seems to be almost run in.Had a great flight and hover in the workshop up untill I got too confident too fast, I flew it in a wide circle to my left a bit too fast and before I knew where I was I flew streight in to a Biffa bin. Pow,it stoped dead and fell to the floor with a couple of flaps of the blades befor I cut the throttle. It all happened so fast but thankfully it's a tough sun of a bitch and only the blades were damaged.Off to Phil Greeno for spares and will be back up soon.Lesson of the day.Know where you are flying and make sure you have space,take your time and one step at a time.

Well,not done any flying since the accident,Why ? Because no one has the spares locally at the moment. For those of you that have heard of Phill Greeno of Greeno models and know his store in Rayners Lane London, will be aware of his talents and good service. For those who don't well I have just said it, a very talented and helpful man with a store that is well stocked with the latest stuff. He now stocks the Honey Bee King 2 and is getting stock of spares too.As soon as my order is in I will be up again,hopefully I will get a video this time so if I do crash again you can all see it but don't count on it..

Me Again. Got some carbon blades from RCMods today, fantastic. They are quicker sleeker and seem to perform better,possibly because of a higher head speed, I don't really know but it is certainly more responsive and stable in the hover.They look the nuts too, would look great with an Air wolf fuss.The wooden set I got however seem terrible. I have read in other forums people complaining of head wobble,even though everything seems ok. Well thats what I have got and I put it down to the blades not being equal or balanced. Can anyone tell me an easy way of checking this besides weighing them.