Inrunner settings

Calling all 'leccy fliers

I've installed a Vortex 28/35/2500 inrunner;

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/allelectricrc/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=594

into a protech/wattage Mirage 2000 (speed 400 foamie), but I'm a bit stumped as to whether this needs special ESC settings, or whether it will be perfectly happy with the 18 amp ex-bell motor controller I'm using.

Any advice welcome.

Oh - it's running on 7 - 8 NiCAd/NiMH cells (me still being stuck in the dark ages an all). I'm planning to use a 5 x 3 prop so that launches are less fraught.

AlistairT

Advert

Alistair

Don't make it easy do they, the electric flight people?

Here's my 2p's worth. They recommend a 4.7 x 4.7 on 3S Lipos (11.1V nominal)and say the motor is limited to 20A. You will be using a max of 9.6V on a prop that should absorb a similar amount of power. My guess is that you will be pulling around 15A, so your existing ESC should be OK. However, I would strongly recommend you beg, borrow or steal a Whattmeter so you can make sure. Invaluable bit of kit for this sort of thing.
Best wishes
Tony

Thanks Tony

I'd bolted a Master Airscrew (i.e. non-electric prop) 4.5 x 5.5 on the front (this worked well on speed-400 motors), but I've now invested in some APC-E props ranging from 4.2 x 5.5 to 5 x 5 with a 4.7 x 4.7 in there as well. Hopefully one of these will do it.

A whattmeter is on the birthday pressie list :)

AlistairT

A watt meter is indispensable. Without one you have no idea, if you are under or over propped to your motor, or what is happening to the battery. I have found quite a large variation from one propeller to another of similar size.

With regard to the speed controller (I use primarily Robotbird budget models or Tornado (Overlander)), the timing option seems to have no effect on either the out runners or standard motors. With the speed controllers I use if you set the speed controller incorrectly, the motor does nothing, other than beep to tell you.

My other main thought is make sure your propeller is strong enough, Graupner, Aeronaut and Overlander seem OK. I have used some budget set-ups from a UK Distributor and these have shed blades on two separate occasions. The damage to the planes was appreciable. Therefore keep well clear of the propeller with Brushless motors, +200 watts is quite a lot of power.

Regards

Erfolg

Thanks for the tips Erfolg

I use only APC-E props with the 400 Watt setup in my Tucano, and with the 150W parkflyer setups, and stick to the sizes and battery packs tested by RCM&E/Nigel Hawes way back (2002?) when 400 Watt brushless setups began to become affordable/accessible for the masses.

I'm still using old-school NiCads (sheesh, what does that make my diesel PAW engines? prehistoric?) so the testing data (based on 8 - 10 cell nicad/NiMH packs) is still valid.

I've not lost a prop blade yet - or broken one on landing for that matter - but I do run an OPTO-isolated radio setup so that the radio can be switched on and checked with no risk of the motor starting up unexpectedly. This is very reassuring when carting a heavy overpowered model along the flightline to the launch point.

AlistairT

Alistair

I have used an APC set up,with no problem. The only issue seems to be that their replacement blades, do not seem to be widely stocked as Graupner etc.

Strangly I have not broken a blade on landing etc (must be due for some then). My main reason for changing blades is to get a better match to motor or improve climb etc.

I have a number of NiCads, but find them heavy for their storage and discharge capacities. The price of LiPo's has fallen considerably and discharge C rating gone the other way.

I have found that LiPo's & Brushless (standard or outrunners) transform aircraft, like a magic wand. From staggering about to going like the wind.

Regards

Erfolg

:)

I watched a 130Mph+ F5D pylon racer outpacing everything at an airshow last weekend on a £150 brushless + lipo setup.

It was faster than every jet turbine, ducted fan, and IC pylon racer I've ever seen.

Was I tempted? who wouldn't be. I'm just not quite set up for Lipos yet. Once I've built up my attention span enough for 20 - 30 minute flights....

Alistair :)

Alistair

I may be briefly tempted, by the outstanding performance (speed), but not for long. My abilities do not run to it.

What has impressed me, for a recently returned modeller, is convenience and practicality.

I originally flew glow powered models, but there were restrictions to when you could fly (at the local club). In addition there was a truck load of equipment to take to the flight line. When you finally got there, you had to queue to fly. When the club started with the BMFA certificates to be allowed to fly, I had enough (and this was before New Labour).

I started gliding instead, BARCS league etc. No need for all the junk, fly when you wanted (when I could find a couple of hours). The downside was that most flights were about 4 minutes, with some flights of 20 minutes or more. My attempts at electric flights were diabolical.

Now 15 years later, 20 minutes is achievable (with electrics) with no effort (perhaps not quite as challenging). I do not even need a bungee. I have just built a FW152H with 42 inch span, to try a different aspect of flying. Modern electrics’ are so convenient, quite and low cost. I have a 32 inch Gee Bee R2 under construction, planning to build either a Heinkel 219 (twins are so practical as electrics) or a Heinkel 162 as a ducted fan.

I have become an evangelist (for electric), and become even more boring. Everything is now possible, as long as the control freaks do not find out, unregulated fun.

Regards

Erfolg

:)

You're preaching to the converted. Most of my (flying) planes are electric.

I started dabbling about 10 years ago. Now nothing will persuade me to give up electric (nor to gve up IC for that matter, I swing both ways).

I resorted to gliding (with an R/C KeilKraft Caprice - now there's a floater) when my old club effectively banned IC, other than control line (anything up to 1cc was allowed, as long as it wasn't a cox....).

I've lapsed recently, other than electric powered, although as the flying field is an exceedingly well-mowed airfield, it's probably time I dug out the bungee again.

AlistairT