Electric flight query

Although the pictures are pretty blurry TBH Erfolg, there is nothing there to suggest overheating. That amount of shrink on the covering is perfectly normal, and in fact, I have several units which are far tighter than that from new.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 13/07/2009 22:19:52

I had a esc that gave trouble one time . the soldered power ends that go through the circuit board werent soldered properly. on visual inspection they looked fine but when powered up and given a wiggle they were shorting. maybe you problem is similar in that when heated under load they short. I also noted that the solder was of doubtful quality as alot of chinese products are.
Hey no harm in checking.

Kiwi

If you think that the soldering on the ESC is poor, you should see my own.

It is probably the poor images, that I have shot that is the issue, regarding soldering.

I hope to try the model again, tomorrow. I will ponder my flight plan. I normally start with simple circuits. I normally try a stall, then push the nose down for some speed to see what happens. Next flight I would  loop and try a roll etc.

Erfolg,ever so slightly aprehensive.

Kiwi

The anticipated flight did not take place.

I had to strip out a carpet, underlay and grippers, from my mothers kitchen.  That is after removing table, chairs and a myriad of other odd items. Then start laying interlocking a planked flooring system. The weather was supposed to be bad you see, it will only take a couple of hours, I could trip over the carpet (which was very true) she said. All the time the sun beat down, the promised wind and rain no where to be seen. Of course this was possibly true to southen England, therefore need to be announced as a national disaster.

Tomorrow, need to finish patio and move garden wall,  for the arrival of my granchildren. This is a very tiring experience for me.

Friday. Back at my mothers to complete the remainder of floor. I need a kitchen cabinet emptying so I can move it. Again high winds and rain are predicted.

But I hope that the next week will give me more time! and good weather.

Erfolg

• 3 weeks later...
Well at long last the Sun has got its hat on, in the UK.

So it was time to fly the Holtzflugel (this was the second attempt actually, the last was the last day of the previous good spell, the motor tore out of the Fuz).

Yet again it was not without a set of problems, but different ones. The model flew well, in that there were no glitches, no mysterious shut downs, with no response. The flight was approx 8 mins according to the watch.

Today's travails were the following
a) Some of the Solar film had peeled back, I have complained about the poor adhesive on the stuff nowadays. I could hear it rustling, just like leaves in a gale.
b) The motor has sheared the aluminium back plate. I now seem to have an issue with my folder. Although the blades are very free it appears that I have to open the throttle slowly, if not either one of the blades can be held in the folded position, as the blades can go past the centre line of the spinner/motor. Here it seems it can be a stable, balanced position. This can only happen when used as a pusher. Not sure how to deal with this one. Any ideas.

The climbing rate is now pedestrian. 200w is nothing.

So there does appear to be a good chance that the problems were an overheating ESC. 

Erfolg

Well, the issue of the folder has been solved, I guess others must have experienced the same problem. That is when used in pusher mode, it is possible for the blade to swing rearward to the extent that the CG of the blade is on the wrong side of the CL. So on start up the propeller blade is firmly held by the centrifugal forces, causing massive out of balance forces. Just stuck some balsa into the propeller slots to limit movement and then Cyno'd them to the spinner.. They can only go parallel to the body/axis now.

Anyway another scorcher here today, so I was of to the field, from which I have just returned. The wing flew faultlessly. Everything is pretty good. The only slight concern is that the ESC gets warm after a 10 minute flight.

Seems it may be time to start optimising the wing. Does any one have experience of moving the CG back on a moderate 10:1 aspect ratio wing. Is the slight dive test reliable?

Any way fingers crossed, that the problem was simply an abused ESC.

Erfolg