Flying Legend Spitfire

Colin Boardman

I have had several problems. Some were witrh my original which was subsequently replaced by someone elses because their motor had burnt out on its second flight. Because my friends Spitfire had burnt out I made sure mine had air getting to the motor - Flying legends have designed the motor to be in a sealed box!
My original flew quite nicely once I had it trimmed out until the firewall pulled away from the foam fuselage in a loop. That efectively wrote off my airframe. My frien gave me his with the burnt out motor which I put my motor in. I then noticed the ailerons would not go "UP" because the tubes in the wing were only held in with a bit of soft glue and sellotape which was now detached. I had to cut a hole in each wing to fit them in properly.
I have since out motors burn out regularly. Another friend bought a Mustang which appears to have better cooling but still burnt it's motoor out.
Definitely not worth £20 (for a pelacement motor) per flight even if you forget the shoddy assembly.

Advert

The FL Spit gets the thumbs down from me .

Whilst it looks great quality control is poor. I had the following problems:
Wing seat not straight and cracked, elevator control VERY stiff - had to sand the wire down, ailerons did not move equally, stabilizer is a sloppy fit - needed packing, original cowl broken to name a few.

There were quite a few of broken FL Spits/Mustangs in their boxes being sold at W&W on the cheap - says it all really!

For a few short flights it flew well but it was too heavy.

• 1 month later...
My FL spitfire was a disaster! The motor shaft wasn't alined properly so the prop wouldn't stay on, the whole construction was terrible. The wing is hollow so it breaks very easliy just like the fuzz. The cowl is so thin I could read a newspaper through it. The alieron system is terrible, it took 3 hours to fit the servo in and it still wouldn't work properly. The elevator was so stiff my high powered metal geared servo couldn't move it. Luckaly i had some modeling experience so i could fix most of these but a novice would probably crash or break it during construction. The bigger balsa ripmax spitfire would be a better choice.

That does look good  The only advantage about the FL Spitfires construction is the detailing on the panels and Cannons, but these still don't override its dynamic shortfalls  Still i'm determined to get it to do at least one decent flight, envitable crash photos will be up shortly

I've got a brand new wing left over from mine if anyone wants it - was going to ask £25 but just cover the postage and its yours. I'll throw in the spare cowls as well. I've resisted the temptation to get another Spit but will get the new Parkzone 109 instead - a much better bet but a bit more money.

I was given a FL Mustang...............the quality of everything on it is poor to diabolical.

It had a broken cowl.....splintered into many pieces.......I think somebody sneezed ten miles away............... the replacement turned up ready broken, as did the next one as I gingerly removed it from it's plastic bag packing.

IMO they are simply Not Fit For Purpose!!!!  Do NOT Buy one!!!

• 3 years later...

what a pity i did not read these accounts earlier,the people who sell these well know by now

that these models are rubbish.

the model itself looks good though it needs part of the church roof to reach the cg.

will just write it off .were these short falls common knowledge ,not mentioned to save profit.

who can we trust.