Graupner GF-9F Panther

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

I bought a Graupner GF-9F Panther at the Weston Park show.  I wish I hadn't!!  It's a foamie EDF jet, priced at around £120.  For this you get fan, motor, ESC and servos included.  So all you need is radio and LiPo.

However, I took it for its maiden flight yesterday.  For about 4 or 5 minutes it looked very promising and on a 3s, 1700 mAh pack was doing well.  Then power suddenly vanished and I had to bring it in for a hurried landing.  The reason?  The motor seems to have shifted in its mounting and the fan blades had run into the shroud, effectively seizing up and not doing the fan blades a lot of good.  Note that the fan unit is factory installed, so it wasn't my c**p building!

Aside from that, the quality isn't wonderful in other areas either - I had to source new screws to fit the U/C as the supplied ones were too short.  Also, translating some German pages trawled from the Internet, it seems several people have noted that the fan shattered after a few flights.  I can't personally vouch for this though, obviously!.

All in all therefore, I don't rate this as one of my better buys.  So if you're thinking of buying one, just be aware of possible issues.

Cheers,

Tim.

I did get a debit card receipt and the retailer is quite respected I would have said, the proprietor being very well known in the field of helis and jets.

However, I've been very silly and have hacked at the foam surrounding the fan installation, thinking that I might be able to replace the fan unit with a decent quality one.  So I think that I have gone well past the point of being able to ask for a refund!

Regretfully, I have to write this one off to experience I think, but I thought it worth flagging up, in case there are genuine quality issues, rather than it being me buying a rogue example.

Tim.

Give it a try with the supplier, then Graupner if that fails. You have nothing to loose, and a lot to gain. Slicing it open was one of those daft "spur of the minute" things which we have all done, and will probably do again, but bear in mind that it came about because of a fault, which is  possibly known to the manufacturer / supplier..

Well that sounds promising at least...and please be sure to report back, with the results, AND the retailers name.
We are happy to name and shame on the forum, and also very happy to give praise and publicity where due.
The "story" must of course be both factual and fair.

All noted Tim, and I entirely agree.  I didn't mention the retailer's name because I wasn't sure what the policy was.  It's Motors and Rotors and it's Dave Wilshere who I have been in contact with.  I have no axe to grind with Dave as he's behaved entirely reasonably up to yet.

I have pointed out to him that I have been stupid and have hacked the model about trying to get the fan unit out, but equally that the fan did fail after just five minutes of use and was therefore not fit for purpose.  I guess whether I get any satisfaction depends on how Graupner view it.  I wish I'd left the thing alone now!!

Tim.

Edited By Phil Wood - Moderator on 07/07/2009 10:32:29

Dave is a good guy,and I am sure will do all he can to help.
As you probably realise, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, so in all cases of unfit for purpose types things, it is they who are responsible for repair, replace, or refund. They in turn then get recompense from the manufacterer or distributor.
...But as you say.... its not helped by your axeman cometh role   Best of luck.

Wish I'd read this post before my recent rash purchase of an F-9F but, we'll have to see what happens to mine. (In fairness, I usually crash well before the 5 minutes mark but if I can keep it aloft then I'll report on the durability of the motor / fan combo).
As a question Tim, what LiPo battery did you use. I've an overlander 1700mAh 35C which I figured would be perfect - but sadly its around 5mm too long for the battery box , all other dimensions being almost 'made for purpose'.

Thanks Dusty - I have to say my hand has hovered over the micro-saw but I was concerned firstly about weakening the battery box in the likely event that the liPo carries on moving but the plane (with mother earth's help), has come to a dead stop! and secondly, I was a bit worried about having any edges to which the LiPo might be exposed in the event of a bump.
I shouldn't be such a wuss and just hack on...

A scapel will do the job, or anything to "pluck the foam out" to make a groove to fit the battery.. some "velcro" (hook and loop) will help secure the battery too, 99% of my foam jets have been hacked to get bigger lipos in etc.. In reality foam does not stay pritty forever.. If in doubt I can take some pics for you? A shame you didnt spend that money on a Lander panther eh??

Edited By Dusty on 13/07/2009 19:24:14

Hi Tony,

I only just sat in front of the computer (been out flying this evening!).

I used Dualsky 3s 1700 mAh batteries, which I bought just for this model as the stated dimensions looked as though they would just fit.  They didn't!  So I did exactly as you have and took out the rear of the battery box and about 5 mm of foam.  By doing that the battery JUST fitted in.

I sincerely hope you have more joy than me.  I'm waiting for Cosford to see if Dave is willing to offer a replacement.

I too wish I'd gone for the Lander Panther, though the Graupner model did fly well for five minutes!

Cheers,

Tim.

HI Tim, hope not wanting to wander too much of the subject but I can confirm the Lander Panther is superb,  been flying mine for about 6 months now.  BUT I did use Landers own Fan Unit (The 4s version).  This particular fan unit is the biz and since I got mine I belive the range of Lander Fan Units has now increased considerably.  Perfomance is excellent but only about 4 minute flight on a 4s 3700... 

re your Graupner model, ive dealt with Dave 3 or 4 times before at Motors and Rotors over the years and have always found him to be a very reasonable chap..  Good service, let us know how you get on.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Interesting comments.  Yes, I have no gripe with Dave at all, as he obviously has no knowledge of whether a particular model has a problem or not.  I was very stupid (with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight!) to mutilate the model to try and extract the faulty fan unit and this may well result in me losing my money on this one.  Still, Dave has agreed to look at the model at Cosford, so I've not written off all hope yet!  I still maintain, despite my stupidity, that this particular model was not fit for purpose.  I'm sure the law must state though that you return the model in good condition if you want a refund or replacement!

Cheers,

Tim.

Valid point Timbo.  However, there's a difference between a model being in three pieces due to an unavoidable crash (in turn due to a deficiency in the model) and it being attacked by a maniac with a modelling knife!  Dave did say in one of his emails that I should have left it alone.  I'm going to Cosford expecting nothing - then I won't be disappointed but might be pleasantly surprised.

Tim.