Vac Forming Rig Construction

Don't be put off by glass temperatures and stuff. You don't need to know about this stuff to vac form. It's one of those things that in practice is more about feel for the material. I've heard it said that a complete novice will get it working after just a few attempts, I think that is about right.

Advert

Hi Gemma,

good stuff. Back in college many moons ago, I did some vacuum forming. The preheat was like an old grill unit. I used to work in the domestic heating market and often we found the best way to develop an even temperature for a grill was to do a toast test. Yes you guessed it layers of bread all over the grill and see where the hot spots are and then you can make adjustments to the heat distribution. In our case these were ceramic tiles but the same applied to moving mesh in regarding to flame impingement.

On deep drawn parts we preheated the mould, soft materials like wood or plaster benefit from the use of a hot air gun or similar.

I'll continue to observe with interest!

Lindsay

Hi Gemma, I wondered about the peg board, not only does it allow air to pass through it. you can also have pegs on the back of your plug to stop it from moving. I've never seen one of these things in action, do you pre-heat your material in its holder and then drop it down on the vacuum box?

• 1 month later...
Gemma , It looks like you are well down the line to success on your ownsome but just note that I have copies of two vac.forming techniques from the R.M. and R.C.M.E by Matthew Ivey and Robin Fowler .They were using low cost soft - drink bottle plastic and used a gas oven for heat . If you are interested..............................  About a dozen A4s in total . Rgds., Eric C.