Airbus A-380

Advert

gents,

the main reason i am building the a-380 is because i intend to sell them, and like to make sure they fly right, suppliers and manufacturers put lots of hype on kits that dont live upto it.
regarding costs

2 of the fans and motors are out my gws a-10 and the other 2 are new
the scale wheels are the only luxury to be honest .
i have a set of the eflite airliner u/c which i will be installing in mine until the scale ones come these only cost $27
The 787 is a good way to go to keep costs down and i believe they designed for slightly bigger fans.
I agree the power i have is stupid , but i have a throttle stick and it should climb out the way its designed and i might actually mix it so i can switch the outer fans off in flight to save battery if it cruises ok on 2 only, there is a LOT of wing so it should float well.
The only concern for me is due to the weight i have to watch it doesnt drop a wing coming on as the wing tips are VERY THIN compared to the root and it could stall very easily.
the hard part was fitting the servo ext lead for the aeliron,plus 4x power wires plus another 2 x servo etx leads from the esc's all down the narrom groove provided in the wing
i will post pics of that instead of just the nice ones

grant

Folks,

done some more work now, all fans/motors and esc's installed, all servo's and all associated wiring installed in wings and there is a lot of wiring now in the fuz
done the windows and main name, awaiting the large white kangaroo for the tail and the smaller version for the sides of the nacelles.
The landing gear should be here tuesday the latest so will install the retract units tommorrow with the servo slower unit.
Am considering doors but not before cosford
have taken some pics for you to show you progress and one with my son who is 6 foot one to give you size comparision this is NOT a small model, designed for the wing to be permenantly installed, but me thinks i may make this a removeable wing, i have a transit van so transporting is no issue but i think just to make it easier and to avoid hanger rash

Weighed the model as it is, the only extra weight to be added is a 7 channel rx,the wheels and the batteies and we at 4.5lbs i think we going to be closer to 6lbs when complete, which drops my power to weight ratio to 200watts/lb still not anywhere a issue,
This model should fly with as little as 150watts per lb very well .
but not a model that could be hand launched me thinks, plus a belly landing will mark those lovely nacelles

Grant

labels??? that adds extra weight lololo
its ok thats what servo testers are for, will put little labels on later, as the wing will be removable, just need to ensure the wing bolts are strong enough for 4 point rolls and large loops, i think a nice high stall turn would look good too

Grant

Steve,
he seen it already and said its going to his house, my answer NO CHANCE this one i get to keep, once he see's my thrust vectoring su-34 in flight i think he will want that instead, se you have to have a alternative for him to make him not want the one you want lol

he is yet to still see the swing wing f-14 tomcat, that has 2 x wild mighty mites in it, which should give it alomost 2:1 power to weight ratio and 1800 watts for a 4lb model which is a mesily 450watts/lb

no just to find the time to build it, i am building a 3DD as well which has a 68inch wingspan designed for a zenoah 23 i am electrifying it for display at the shows, leaving in 2 hours to go fetch the ford transit i have just bought to transport these models lololo
grant

All finished, had o mak decals myself as 2 1/2 weeks lter and no decals fom windrider
This look pk nd AUW i 5lb 14oz
ran thefans up and got 454 watt out of each wing, the battery was not carged and was showing 11.45 befr running them up but settled in at 10.74volts

so fully chargd it will be well over 1000 watts

regards

grant

Yeh best of luck at Cossy Grant.... we are not doing that one this year ( luckily last year we went saturday - sunday was cancelled through heavy weather)
Rufforth is my only LMA fix this year.
Video would be nice if possible
PS dont forget to get the ground shots in first...you know why