Airbus A-380

Hi Folks,

Thought i wouldshow some of my progress with my A-380 build.
here are the specs:

1.8 m wingspan
4 x edf's(51mm) fans
4 x 4800 Black mantis motors
4 x 40amp esc's
4 x 2200 3s1p 25c Flightmax packs
5 x MG-14 MG servo's
I will be installing mechancial retracts but use one of my 3 channel servo slowers to create individual delays and scale speeds for the retracts
Scheme is QANTAS Airlines and have scale stickers on the way

Advert

Some More pictures

As you can tell from the size in the living room not a small edf model
below is what i am also working on, this SU-34 has more than 1:1 power and thrust verctoring which allows you to hover it vertically,
the down side is you need 8 channels to have thrust vectoring on both the elevators and aelirons unless you hardwire all the servo's together as a customer of mine has and allows him to use a 6 channel radio

Grant

The penny dropped last night, I am south african and i am building a model with a AUSTRALIAN!!!! scheme, this is a no no but too late now, Dont think i will ever live it down.

Just in case you didnt know South Africans are very competitive with Australians in the rugby and cricket well we not cos we always win, its the Aussies who are the competitive ones lol

Grant

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/07/2009 09:09:25

Timbo,

Glue?? we dont need no stinking glue!!!

yes i have almost completed, bear in mind i have also covered most surfaces with tissue and poly c as well.
It is a big model but very light
It is designed as a slope soarer but was gagging for 4 x fans of cos
only used epoxy for wing join, nacelle installations and tail. rest is done using UHU-POR

so will not fall apart in the air
Knife edge, wow that gives me a thought, 4 point rolls will look so good as well(sits back and thinks of display routine now)

grant

Guys,

It is the Windrider kit we sell, but until i have personally confirmed it does as it says on the tin i wont be selling it. I want people to have proper info on setups and build issues, this is why i build every model i sell, its called R&D well thats what i tell her indoors is the reason i have 234 models now lolo
It can be found here if you are interested. But let me test it first before you all rush out and buy them

Grant

Wow Grant, what a plane, congratulations.

Living here in Dubai and working on the new Concourse at the airport, I get to see the Emirates A380 each day and cannot wait for my trip aboard on 21 August to LHR.  Have been on it whilst on the ground several times including a tour around it in 2005 at the airshow here.

Impressive "beasty" and look forward to the video and details of cost for all of the components mentioned in your earlier mail.  Would have to be in Emirates colours of course despite me also coming here from South Africa 5 years ago.  SAA tail colour scheme would probably also look good, nah Emirates it is.

Damn, you better post a vid of her maiden !  And: No auto focus from a mobile.  If Im gonna druel, it had better be worth it !!   lol.  Great looking bird.  Oh a slow mo with the retracts asc/desc would be great Grant

BB

Roger,
I dont know why i never thought of the SA Airways colours it would have looked so much nicer, but to be honest as windrider only do the qantas stickers it saved me having to do all those windows myself
Setup is not nearly as much as you think.

retail prices for fans are 9.99 each
motors 9 quid each
esc 15 each
and lots of power wire
and everyone has 3s1p packs so you could use 2 of the same size lipo's with 2 fans off one battery, i am just choosing to use a pack per lipo for ease of use and i might even consider using 3s1p 3000 20c packs i have per 2 fans
I could have used the tried and tested servoless retracts, but the sf ones are far cheaper and just as strong and using a 9.99 servo slower it works out a lot cheaper, even us shop owners have budgets to work too

grant

oh and video will be with a camcorder never video with mobiles its poor quality

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 11/07/2009 09:53:58:
Oooooo - designed as a sloper eh ?

no I do not need more models
NO I DO NOT NEED MORE MODELS

Timbo you can never have enough models, you always need a spare to replace one that becomes deceased or the one you get bored of

Posted by Grant Wright - Mr Foamyjets on 11/07/2009 08:57:58:
The penny dropped last night, I am south african and i am building a model with a AUSTRALIAN!!!! scheme, this is a no no but too late now, Dont think i will ever live it down.

Just in case you didnt know South Africans are very competitive with Australians in the rugby and cricket well we not cos we always win, its the Aussies who are the competitive ones lol

Grant

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/07/2009 09:09:25
Grant,

Well then cook everyone a beorewors roll with my nandoes sauce and it will make up for a C***p choice of airline colours, so show them you at least have some rainbow colours in you...

These are nice colours here not scale for type but are effective... BWT this 70 was flown at zim air day 95, the pilot got a commendation from boeing, although the  airline was not impressed ( 12' agl, full pax enroute to gatwick so + 12hrs fuel on board)... enough said, can only be done in Africa

Twelve foot!  Full of passengers as well! Thats quite something. Could've gone very wrong though!

Anyway, Back on thread, Im loving this model, bit big and pricey to on the electronic front though. I know that an A380 has a steep climb out angle, but not Vertical! Surely You could get away with 2 fans and one 4S Lipo giving 130w/lb?