Polymodders got a proper job ! Cutting me a wing for the sloper hawk

So, after a small ( well huge actually ! ) mid-air fight with Simon Cocker at the Llandudno PSSA meet a while back, my ex IC BAE hawk ( acquired S/H last year and wing pretty much untouched by me ) came off worse .
Fuselage is pretty wrecked, and the wing is in at least 3 pieces.
Now, it transpires following this rekitting that the wing is an all balsa, fully ribbed and made up affair, with a flat bottomed section.
Hmm.... 2 things not so good there then
1) Its a "crunchie", and the rocks are hard on models at the Orme.
2) Flat bottomed wing section.... not great for a PSSA jet model.
I have decided to have the new one out of foam, veneerd with 32 nd Balsa and then film covered.
Talking with Eric Bray, he suggested ( and many other sources seem to confer ) that a good old Eppler 374 section would be best, so after checking out a few things in the workshop yesterday, Phil Wood has kindly taken the old wing back to PolyHQ - as I am up to my eyes in other stuff - and has started the work
I shall be rebuilding the fus completely, but will stick to Balsa and ply, glassed for strength, and profilm /acrylic airbrushed. 

I will leave it to him to supply the build info, and ( hopefully ) pictures along the way.
So for all you budding foam cutters and skinners out there...enjoy

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 15/09/2009 19:14:54

Advert

Its just from wear and tear as it were. I should spec it so that it were "straight" and level in line with the TE of the aileron, at least that way the chord will be bigger rather than smaller, which has got to be better. If necessaary, I can simply adjust the fus cut out to suit.
TY

Hey Phil, you are right I do need one of those, I will be building a four axis CNC hot wire cutter very soon! Stepper motors and control interfaces available from Ebay, controlling software is available as freeware.

Anyway enough of this idle chat, back to your thread......

Morning polyfoamman
What you need are stepper moors - but I think you knew that already
There was /is a big thread running by foamy dave on the phatboy cnc printer gizmofoam cutter thingy or whatever it was called. I reckon anyone getting /building such things needs to be cutting a fair bit of stuff to justify the cost, so I will stick to the old home made bow that you used at my place the other day...or simply farm the job out to people who are better at it than me -  people like you in fact
Incidentally, ( I am sure you have this covered ) but please remember to explain / illustrate to peeps how to do the templates, and how you will be sorting out the taper and sweep geometry etc. Cutting a plain old straight and constant chord panel is one thing....this baby is alittle more complicated.
PS will you be using the lithoplate I gave you as template material ??
PPS you know what would be good here now dont ya  - Video!

Stephen...Pollyfoamhead is not firing on all cylinders at present...been suffering with the back again
However, he has assured me that all will be revealed as he progresses.
Simplisticly, the process involves making two templates - 1 X root rib template, and one tip rib template. I use lithoplate, but others have their own fav material.
These are then pinned to the ends of the foam block. A hot wire bow is then "dragged"across the two templates, at equal and matching speed at both ends, right across the top, around and back up under the rib templates to finish where it started.
The result is a blank foam wing panel, which is then normally veneered with balsa or obechi etc. Normally the tips will be made from balsa and stuck on after, along with balsa trailing edgessquare stock, and half round L/E balsa.
The lot is then sanded to correct profile finish, befpore covering as required.
I did hope he may use a video to demo, but his son has nicked the camera, so we may have to put up with showing you just the pictures.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 13/07/2009 22:54:26