Cmpro Mosquito Potential Torque Swing & Engine Failure

Adrian Smith 1

I have recently acquired a Cmpro Mossie which I intend to fit with two OS 52 FS engines. However, I read somewhere recently that to counter potential torque swing on take off a gyro can be fitted to the rudder (not heli holding gyros or HAL). I have no idea what to buy if this is the answer or how much? In the same vein an engine synchroniser was mentioned which in the event of one motor failure in the air or take-off, would reduce the remaining engine to tickover, thus avoiding the dreaded air/ground loop. Where can I get one and how much are they? Is this the answer? I have flown aerobatic single engine IC models for years now but fancied trying a twin but this has stopped me in my tracks. From Adrian Smith  

Adrian,
I fly a Bf-110 with RCV58CD engines.  There is no noticeable swing on take off.   I would not recommend the Mossy as your first twin - I had a 0.25 twin and 0.15 twin, both sports models to gain experience before embarking on the Bf-110.
I also thought about gyros and engine sync but eventually dismissed them as to much bother. I did make a device that used the spare flap channel to enable me to "lock" one engine at a predetermined speed and the other on Tx control.  PM me if you are interested.  I did eventually do a circuit on one engine.  I also used a simulator to practice one engine flying.  The hardest part is recognising an engine has failed quickly enough to do something about it. 
The problem with engine syncing is that you have to detect the rotation.  The only reliable method I found was to mount a magnet in the prop driver then use a sensor to detect the magnet.  I decided that was too much bother never mind doing the electronics.  The best advice I read was if you are the kind of person that always has to adjust/fiddle with an engine to make it work then a twin was not for you.
I would recommend an on-board glow for added security.  Engine reliablity is the name of the game. 
Don't let me put you off - twins are fantastic and well worth the effort.  
Nik

Hi Nik,
Thanks for the input. I must admit I like to keep things simple. I had already decided on an on-board glow system for safety. I do swear by OS engines (which I will use here) hence I don't usually fiddle around with them, never needed to. I have found the four strokes very reliable in particular, using them up to 120 size. I asked the questions after reading a piece in a idle moment but I am fast going off the idea of adding more gadgets. It just there's more to go wrong. However, I am not daunted. I had a brief affair with World Models DH Comet which flew very well but I made the mistake of slowing too much on finals which prompted its spectacular demise ! Ho Hum.......