90mm Lander Alloy EDF Fan

Reno Racer

Hi all,

I recently bought the new 90mm Alloy EDF Fan with the 1800watt 1600Kv motor, which on the Lander web site shows it producing 2.5 to 2.8 Kg (5.5 to 6.2 Lbs) of thrust, which is exactly what I need for for K&A Models F-100 Super Sabre (when it arrives!).

I tested the fan today on the bench (I know its not a great measure without the right ducting etc, etc) and only got 1350 Watts max and about 5 Lbs of thrust.
I used 2 x 3S 4900mah Rhino 25C lipos and a simple 100A ESC (not sure if you can set high or low timing). I will retest later on next week with a HET 100A HV ESC and see what I get.

Has anyone else tried this fan yet; i would appreciate hearing your readings. I am tempted to fit my Medusa 36-60-1500V motor which will run on 8S and should deliver closer to 2KW!

I open the floor.......

Chris

Advert

Ya you can set high/low timing with that esc, I have the manual, I have the 6s 70mm version, if you have a look on the Lander Hunter thread you will see I was under the expeacted W because of different Kv motor, so you might need to wait for Scott from BRC to help you more or GW from foamyjets... other thing is to do some research, email Tim Wan of Lander.. They had changed the Kv in my fan for instance so it was more efficient. I played with the timing modes and got more power on high timing, also the super simple is set on auto cell detect, it should be set to relevant cell number you are using! PM me email and I will scan the manual for you, then at least you can have a play around!

Edited By Dusty on 25/07/2009 16:28:21

Thanks Dusty,

I've just pinged you my e-mail address; I wil try an program the super simple and see what i get. The HET 100A HV ESC is on route anyway for the 90mm F-100 from K&A Models, so i'll see if that makes a difference. I really hope I can fly the model on 6S, without too many Amps. My Lipo collection is of 2 and 3S, so a 8S combo wiould mean multiple parallel leads.

I have e-mailed Lander; as ever i'm chasing the holy grail of lower amps, high trust, high watts and long (ish) flight times ................... without breaking the bank!!! - all probably too much to ask!!!!

Yes a little too much to hope for really
I found that part Holy Grail was obtained in changing rotors in my large EDF setup from the stock flyfly fan to a midi fan -retaining the flyfly housing. On the same 1600Kv motor and 6S batts, Amps went down ( as did watts of course ) but the thrust increased significantly. This proves that fan design can have a significant impact on efficiency, and its not all about the Watts alone is it.
Theres not much that can be done in the pure "power" dept though - The physics and laws of electrics cant be changed - more watts = more Amps or Volts I am afraid and to get 1800 watts from 6 cells will require a LOT of amps, and a voltage that holds well under high load. Even assuming cells capable of keeping say 3.7V nominal, thats still asking for 80A+ current, which is high by any standard. Of course, the other thing is the power to weight ratio roundabout - to maintain 80A+ a battery needs very good C rate capability, and large capacity - or both...... and these come with the penalty of bulk,  weight and cost.

Dusty,

Thanks, got the instructions and will try tomorrow.

on test the Lipos held up very well, watt meter showed 22.2V and 61A, hence 1354Watts.

Tim Wan replied very quickly, apparantly my readings are about right for a low timing setting, so I'll try to switch to a high setting and give the Lipos a full top up (they had been charged and used to test a few things). According to basic maths, the RC Lander video, which shows 2.8Kg of thrust and 81A at 22V should deliver the 1800Watts. I will have another crack tomorrow and again when the 'better' ESC arrives and let you know what i get. That said 81A equates to sod all time in the air, even at 3/4 throttle, so 60-70A would be better. Clearly, the only way to see how much thrust I actually need is by test flying the aircraft, once I've built her.

Timbo, I might use you suggestion on my 90mm Vampire; Midi rotor and Fly Fly casing.

Overall, I am very impressed by the RC Lander fan; the prefitted motor and fan and extremely well balanced. In fact, I like it so much I've just ordered the new Hawker hunter package from BRC with 68mm aloy fan on a 4S set up!!

Tim's Response (RC Lander):
Dear Chris,

According to your testing result that is only a time mode of your ESC setting in lower performance. If you want to get more either close to 7lbs. Please modify your ESC time mode setting in higher. That can be provided the thrust power as you want.

Thanks,.
Tim

> I have bought your 90mm Alloy EDF Fan fitted with your 1600kv motor for 6S.
>
> What is the higest voltage this can take?
>
> On my test bench, with 4900mah Rhino 25C Lipos (6S), I am only getting 1300W@61A, giving about 5Lbs of thrust. I want to get nearer the 7lbs thrust mark and 1800Watts.I plan to fly a 7Lb F-100 super sabre.
>
> Chris

I'll post test results when I check it; probably now not until next Fri due to work

• 5 months later...
Using 2 x 5800mah 3s 30/40C  lipos (Zippy Flightmax Lipos from HK ($50 each!!)), and a turnigy sentinal 100A ESC I get a solid 1800 watts at 81A, and nearly 2000watts when just off the charger. This should (not measured yet), deliver the 7Lbs of thrust I need, giving about 6 mins of combined flight with careful use of throttle.

Similarly, I get 1054 watts from a 3575kv 68mm lander fan on a fully charged 4S 3300mah 30/40C lipo fromm the same manufacturer  (and $35 from HK) on 60A at full power, using a turnigy 85A 4-6S S/BEC ESC.

30/40C lipos are the way to go; you just have to accept high Amps to get the high watts, unless you go to 8S+ lipos, but then you pay the additional cost in lipos, a new motor and AUW penalty.