An electric virgin

Ho Guys,
Some of you know that for various reasons, I'm building an electric glider.
Now, I've got bags of experience re. IC but am a complete leccy virgin, so I have some very basic questions
I'm BUILDING an atrain glider from DB models, and very good it is too. But, I want to put a motor in the nose. I'm quite happy to modify the fuz
From Puffin, I've bought a RAV C3542/06 motor, with the recommended prop and spinner, and ESC...Lipos and charger to follow  from next months pension
The picture shows all
My questions are
1  How do I mount it in the fuz? The instructions suggest thet it is mounted from the front. Can I bolt through the firewall into the threaded holes at the rear?
2  How do I ventilate it? The supplied spinner is bigger than the front of the motor, and would restrict airflow 
3  I intend to use the alloy soap bottle, with suitable openings cut in it as a cowl. Is this OK?
4  Is the spinner/prop held onto the motor shaft only by the friction grip in the rear of the spinner?

Thanks ernie

cowl. Is this OK?
4  Can I install an indicator that will tell me the state of the batteries?

Advert

1) Imagination is needed , and little builders skill - radial "spider" mounts are available for most outrunner types like this one. You may need to reverse things around in order to get the spinning outer case in front of the mounting back plate, rather than how it is at present.
2) cut a few slots in you bottle /nose area.
3) see number 2
4) yes - known as collet style prop adaptor - make sure it is the correct sized hole for the shaft, and do them up TIGHT.
5) that depends on your battery choice. Little voltspy thingies ( google em ) are OK, but if using NiMhs, then thse batts fall off rapidly toward the end, so could look to be still fairly healthy, and then drop off after just a few minutes! Just charge before every flight.
PS - just thought...do you mean the main flight pack, or the radio pack, or are you using BEC?

Hi Timbo
Thanks, 
1 I think I'm going to use Lipos, unless someone has better advice
2 The ESC is called RAY40, and has a BEC. It seems like a clever wee thing
3 I'll contact puffin models, and get a radial mount
4 I've got a couple of voltspies that I used to monitor RX batteries

ernie 

Well if your gonna use the BEC then a voltspy will be redundant, as the power to the radio will remain steadfy and full to the end, at which point the LVC will have stopped the motor and you will have landed anywy. After the LVC kicks in, you have AGES of radio time left in your batteries. I take it from this that the only battery on board then will be the main flight Lipo pack, and no, there is no monitoring device for those required TBH - as I say, thats the role of the ESCs LVC device. Having said alll that, dont fly unitl the LVC kicks in anyway, thats bad practice - use a timer, amnd land before the battery starts to drop power. This will be noticeable as the revs drop off etc, as soon as this happens land immedately, check the flight time, and set your timer for that length of time minus 30 seconds or so. This allows a bit of leeway for a go-around etc.