Setup help needed - 2 x servo for Elv and 2 x servo for Ail

Nicholas Kay

Running with DX7 and AR6200, setting up a Edge EP with seperate servos for each aileron and each elivator.

Not familiar with the terminology and the definitions, so struggling to search the usual places for advise.

I would assume to use Mix Prog 6 for Ail to Aux1 (on the 6200) but its not an option on the DX7.  Only AUX2 is available.

I would there use Mix prog 5 for Eli to Gear, to drive the second servo?

Also, I would have to supress the Gear function, how do you do that?

Help with terminology and setup would be appreciated.

Nick

Edited By Nicholas Kay on 26/07/2009 14:53:08

Advert

Hi Nicholas,

So you have separate aileron servos and separate elevator servos.

Is the Edge a v-tail?

If so, the DX7 will cope admirably and no Prog Mixes will be needed as all you need is built into the Tx.

Just confirm the v-tail situation (ie elevators acting as both elevators and rudder) and I can easily take you through the set up procedure.

Hi Nicholas,

If you do not intend having the elevator halves operating wit the ailerons (just straight up and down in other words) I would use a "reversing Y-Lead", these can be bought for a few quid from the likes of Steve Webb. Then use the standard "Flaperon" setting for the ailerons.

You have four primary control channels right? and 6 ports on the rx.
1) Throttle
2) Elevator
3) Rudder
4) Ailerons

With the 6 ports on the Rx being
TH
El
AIL
RUDD
GEAR / AUX2
AUX1

Use the DX7 fixed mix of "Flapperons" and plug one aileron servo into aileron port, and the other in aux1 port. Thats your ailerons sorted... if you dont want the flapperon function, no problem - but you still have ailerons as required.

Plug  any one elevator half into elevator port - plug the other elevator half into aux 2 / gear
Then use a free mix ( either 5 or 6 ) as these two mixes are the only ones of the six allow both trims to be set via one master trim EG: elevator.
Set up mix as follows....
Master - Elevator thorws 100% each way. 
Slave -  aux2 with same throws, 100% mixed linear.
If AR6000 does not have aux 2 ( which from memory it does not ) then just substitute gear channel for aux 2 for mixing to elevator.  Set gear to be 100% on /off ( cant remember which - experiment ) in either gear switch position, to null the effect of accidentally throwing the switch!

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 27/07/2009 16:02:47

ive been setting up my seagull edge 540 today ,i just used a y lead on elevator and on one side i revervsed the servo arm so both elevators go up and down together ,cant see why you need to mix them (am i missing somthing ) and i just used a y lead on airleons to ,im using ar500 with the built in y lead for airlleons.

ive got a build thread going on  here il post some pics soon

Mod, many thanks for the info, makes sense and i will mock up the gear and play with the setting.  There are few support sites for this sort of thing.

couple of reasons for the mixing preferrence, 1) cheaper, bought the radio so may as well use it!  2) I intend to use the Edge as a test bed for mixing ele and ailer.  Seems good practice to use the radio mixing, less to go wrong on the plane.

Nick

Using a Y lead and reversing the arms ie one up one down very rarely gives you exactly equal movements which on an aerobat like the Edge 540 can give you all sorts of problems. Far better to use two channels and a mix providing as Tim said you can get the trim to act equally on both

Edited By Ultymate on 27/07/2009 18:06:25

The fixed mix of flapperons on the DX7 will give you ....err ....flapperons i.e. elevator mixed with ailerons. It will also provide three flapperon positions - normal, both flaps (ailerons) down for thermal, and spoilerons (both ailerons up) for landing.

I would do as TIMBO says and use the gear channel for the second aileron servo.
That way, you will have accurate adjustment for the travel of each servo which will ensure equal movement of each elevator. A y-lead will not provide this.

Think you have to set the gear channel travel to 0% before you mix the elevator channel to it, otherwise the gear switch would move one elevator if inadvertently operated.

Flapperons does NOT mix elevator with ailerons - it "mixes" ailerons and permits them to be also droopped as flaps.... hence the name flapperons.
Mixing ailerons with elevators is not something I am aware of, (other than switched as snap roll etc ) and flaps with elevator is sometimes used to increase the pitch movement in £D stuff etc.

A mix of ailerons and elevators is possible, I have it on some aerobats, useful in a prop hang if the ailerons don't get much propwash the elevators which have to be on seperate channels become ailerons 3 and 4 when the mix is on. I think Fuby call it tailerons
When mix is on the elevators move as ailerons

Edited By Ultymate on 27/07/2009 21:08:49

Edited By Ultymate on 27/07/2009 21:09:03

Timbo, my apologies. I will use your name in future.

Great discussion. I am now understanding the terminology. And mixing makes sense. I want to test these options and true independent servo control would be the only way.

Austen rover's build link shows the elevator geometry to be different left to right. I assume this would make negligible difference but would strictly speaking change the output at full throw. In this instance it would be better to rotate the servo so the head of the servo is forward on 1 side, thus reversing the action but maintaining the same output and link geometry.

Perhaps someone should write up a list of definitions for all these terms, with diagrams?

Nick

Posted by Doug Ireland on 28/07/2009 00:47:49:
Hi Ultimate, with a "Reversing Y-lead" you don't have to mess about with the servo arms.

The reversing "Y" leads I've used in the past have a pot on the circuit board so that the two elevator halves can be fine-tuned for equal travel.

Doug that does'nt achieve anything a decent trannie won't do in the first place and introduces another failure point in the system IMHO