Hanger 9 Funtana setup

Dusty

Hi guys/gals

Just aquired a real bargin (200 Euros) Funtana with "never run" O.s 91FX, all servo's fitted and a 6v rx pack etc etc...

To the point, anyone flying one? Need some setup advise  re. the control throws and c of g? The model has flown before but on a different engine, apparently it was a pig on the previous one so the Fx should get it lively?

Anyway going through it with a fine tooth comb, so before it ends in  or someone stands on it  I shall just sus out all is ok first! Looks a crack to fly (mrs not impressed cause its another BIG one  )

Oh any ideas on these servo's? This is what its kitted with, the specs look ok for this model, some info on them weather they Good, ok or stay away from?

Any help much appriacted!

Advert

hi dusty,

i have the smaller 50 size version which flies brilliantly. don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you a hangar 9 flies like a pig; they've obviously got something wrong or set it up incorrectly.

The servos look ok as they're metal gear, but don't know how the torque compares to kg/cm. They aren't that quick either. I've got hitec digis in my X50 and these have been excellent, but the ones you have fitted are probably fine.

you can download all the H9 manuals from the horizon website. Here's the page for the X100, it should tell you everything you need to know on setup. On the X50, i found the lower rates on aileron too little, so increased them after a few flights. Not sure if it'll be similar on the X100.

Jono thanks bud, ya these are popular in the 50 size like yours, this guy is big.. it was flown on a 60  before when it had swine flu but beefed up with the 91 now so according to prev owner this should be more than enough.. re the servos, ya will play safe and replace them i think, they wont go to waste in a 40-46 size model that gets thrashed... rather go with a saftey margin, these will do but they dont feel like MG's if you know what I mean! Easy enough to replace anyway..

Throttle cable needs some work, deceided to replace the rx packs to, will go with a back up pack for piece of mind...

Getting some mixed response on prop size for the 91. 14x7 on there at the mo, alu spinner is shaped to fit, some saying drop to a 13", I would rather have the torque n pull?

Good idea to go for battery back up, its a sizeable model and you don't want it crashing (especially near people) due to battery failure.

I don't know about props for a 91FX having never owned one. I suggest you fit a prop recommended by OS. On my X50, i had problems getting the 46AX i have in there to run on a bigger 12x5 so went back to the 11x7 it had originally. Its back to its brilliant best so my advice would be don't overprop. My X50 doesn't glide well, so its best to try and avoid dead sticks.

ya there is a big lump of lead up the front bolted to the engine mount! Had a look on rc universe and a guy had mounted his rx pack there, so think I would use  a big 6v 3000mah or such pack up the front and a smaller get me home pack under the tank! Its still dead weight but more useful than a lump of lead!

Will check the props out later and get working some more this evening when I get home! Ya dont plan on breaking this, but if it did come down it would be messy lol...

Ya she flies

Maidened her today, all was well, just getting the feel for the model as its pretty big and the controls are very responsive (crazy roll rate on 50%).. Speed seemed ok with the current prop, didnt try much as still breaking it in... all was well until

The engine coughed about 100ft up downwind at the end of the field! (I was running her possibly a bit to rich) anyway, managed to turn back into the wind was able to make the field but this guy just floats so I hand to force the model onto the ground or face landing to deep and hitting some obstacles. Anyway only broke the cheapy carbon fibre u/c leg (better than hitting the stuff at the end of the runway).. Just unfortunate that this was on a maiden and hadent even tried stall's and approaches so was a complete guestimate!

All is well and repaired ( good thing I had a another set of legs from a big stik) ready to take to the skies again tommorow...