Wings & Wheels 07

I think this show sould now be renamed "North Weald" I have been attending for many years now and there were no "wheels" all this year. It was definatly not spectacular. This is a view held by all my clubmates who went last Saturday. This year it was just an ARTF shop in a field. There was no effort to celebrate the 25 year anniversary , unless this took place on Sunday ?
As for DB asking the visitors to organise a show close to Londonto replace Sandown as "everybody wants one , the traders want one etc " I thought that was a B****y cheek. If traders want one then they have the finance and clout to get one going . After all they seem to be the biggest beneficiaries these day. Roll on the Nats and Paddock Wood I say.What do you think ?

Advert

It as certainly different this year with a marked absence of more Large planes. Is the LMA boycotting this event or was there another show somewhere. I suppose that as it is run by a commercial outfit (Designaction, something to do with Traplett Publications,traders displays must take precedence as they are the ones that are paying. More trade displays this year rather than individuals, as was borne out by the DB commentary. However, DB was right, there are less shows in the South than there used to be.
Agreed, roll on Paddock Wood, now that is a truly magnificent show.

very true paul there are less show's in south but if the W&W lot do the same next year the as they have this there will be even less.
n i'm a show pilot and up until this year i have supported the show. but this year the show organisers took it on themselves to charge any pilot who flies for a trader for camping on the site. incidentally they are the only show that does this hence what i've heard it had a poor turn out. i wonder why?????
regards
nasa

Ah, I didnt know that the trade pilots had to pay for their camping, that will definately have an effect next year, we are not all made of money and it is a hobby after all. But I suppose that is the commercial aspect of it all, it not only has to make money for the organisers, it has to make a certain percentage of the costs as profit. All said and done, I suppose I will be there again next year, maybe see you on the flightline at Paddock Wood then? Do you have slots booked yet as I understand they are closing their pilots invitations due to so many wanting to fly there.

Good old Wheddo being his usual forthright self! Like Dave Caldecourt I am missing Plumpton (remember the Club refreshment tent old pals?) and West Malling. I can thoroughly recommend the Cosford LMA show for those who can reach us here in the Midlands - superb flying, excellent venue, the museum and excellent weather!!!Was considering W and W - glad I didn't go now...

TTFN

only trouble is david the long range weather forecast for cosford looks awful and i certainly won't be making the 400mile round trip even though i'm booked to fly. if the forecast does'nt change drastically before then i'll stay at home and get soaked here instead
nasa

We have been blessed in recent years and I have everything crossed for this year, especially as we are spending the first two nights of our fortnight's caravan holiday at the show. Shame if you can't fly Steve - keep those fingers crossed.....

i'll make a decision on thursday next as to whether its a goer or not. we stopped going for our annual trip to sunny cornwall 3 years ago after we had 3 years of complete washouts every year so if i can avoid sh**y weather i will at all costs.
i would have the mrs and kids in tow so it ain't much fun for them either
nasa

Or the O2 dome thingy??? (Was the millenium dome, remember that?). Plenty of room for Prop Hanging and Harrier landings etc. Thats what most of the show stuff seems to be about now) Not sure what you could do with the Jet engines unless someone came back with the actual Harrier (remember that even?)or Dave Wilshere brought along his vectoring jet? But hey ho, the weather will be fine come the middle of July and onwards, I have it in the diary that that is the beggining of my real flying year, when I can go to the patch two or three evenings a week and just relax, chatting and flying. Summer dreams eh?