• 2 months later...
Advert

Well finally got around to casting some lead slugs for this sucker

Here are some inch long moulds I cut from a 12" length, I CAed these onto a piece of shiny cardboard.

Then I melted up some lead and poured it into the moulds, pretty nasty stuff molten lead gives off poisonous fumes and obviously is burning hot. Take all necessary precautions children, eyewear, mask, gloves etc

These 5 slugs dropped out pretty easily the others had to be cut out as they were stuck solid. Its important to get the lead really hot and have plenty of it otherwise it cools too fast and you get inclusions in the casting (it falls to bits in other words) ask me how I know It shrinks as well while it cools, leaving a hole in the middle, don't bother topping it up afterwards like I did as it doesn't stick together after its been poured and solidified.

After fettling the slugs with a file (don't inhale the lead dust) I had to make up some spacers out of a bit of carbon tube I had lying around (not shown), this is so that you can vary the ammount of lead you put in the wing and keep it evenly balanced, wouldn't want to have it sliding around inside the wing. In the photo you can see how it is loaded into the wing.

Flew it today in light winds 10 -15 mph and without the lead, it was pretty skittish and all over the place. With 2 slugs inside, (approx. 2 oz) it was nice and stable and flew much faster, it took longer to gain height but was generally nicer to fly. If it hadn't been so cold I would have tried 4 oz Looking forward to some windier weather when I can load up the full 12 oz!

Tom

Just though I would add that this glider has become my favourite work horse, it will fly in nothing to gales and is very tough, its been landed out of sight twice, hit rocks and generally been abused, but still looks like new (well apart from some small scuffs) very tough! Always the first glider to be flown to check the conditions and the landing site!

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I can see Ingleborough from my office window where I work in nearby High Bentham, Paul actually lives so close to Ingleborough he can see it from his living room window, great for checking if its covered in clag (which it usually is). My ambition is to fly all three peaks, Ingleborough, Whernside and Penyghent all in one day, but will need some excellent flying weather to accomplish this

Tom

The roads must be a lot longer in your neck of the woods

Penrith gives you access to the West Lakes, you could go to Keswick and fly Catbells or Latrigg. Both good sites and easier to access than Ingleborough, you can even DS off Catbells.

But to answer your question it is a big walk, so unless you're super fit you're limited to a couple of lightweight 60" models or one big 3M mouldie, landing area is small but you get big wind up there. The last part of the climb up there is up a shear face up rocky steps, think Lord of the Rings, steps to Mordor - I kid you not. But if its not covered in clag (which happens a lot) its a fantastic day out, but if the conditions are light be prepared for Paragliders, there are more of them than us Slopesoarers in the North West

Next time your up give us a shout if you want to meet up to do some flying, we normally use different sites for different wind directions.

Tom

Sounds like fun , I am in mid wales 50mins is a milk trip lol, I will let you know when we are next coming up as I have been several times but only got a little sloping done .

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
Ventured South to the Peak District yesterday and met some great guys who taught me how to DS, its a lot easier when there is someone there to teach you, enjoy

• 1 year later...

iT IS POSSIBLE TO SEND A MAIL TO RICH OR TALK WITH A CHAT

nOW THE MODEL IS NOT DISPONIBLE.

I don't have anithink for build a plane on my house ...so what I need (all...glue servo paint etc...etc...) for build that model?

You can give me a list and for particular objects (like particular glue) whee I can buy? (link please).

thx