Dead plane due to radio problems?

Craig Spence

Hi all,

Ive just said goodbye to my Kyosho Edge 540 on Saturday. It was flying fine all day and I did a loop and pushed up the throttle, than I had no response on the plane, nothing, not even throttle, my plane landed in a forrest at full throttle and was sawdust when I got there.

I am obviously gutted about the plane but very relieved indeed that it did not hit anyone.

After I burned the plane and dug out my engine I got a few members from the club to help me identify what the problem was, or at least identify what happened.

After range checking a bunch of servos with different batteries (ie voltage mah etc.) we had no response from the reciever with the power down or even normal power at distance. The servos only responded at a very close distance of say 10 to 15ft.

I am sending my transmitter and receiver to horrizon hobbys tomorrow to get them to check it out, replace, repair refund me a plane lol!, whatever they will do. I just hope I get my tranni back working well with a bit of clarity of what happened.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Radio is the spectrum dx6i with the receiver that comes with cant remember of the top of my head.

Maybe tell members at your local club of this issue who also use the same set because this really could have killed someone.

Many thanks all.

Advert

Craig sorry to hear of your loss, hope you get to the bottom of it.

As regards the throttle going to full, on the DX6i the throttle failsafe is set when you bind the Rx to the Tx, so if you had to reverse the throttle when setting up the plane, you should have then rebound it so the Rx learnt where low throttle is. Then on loss of signal the Rx will send the throttle to it's failsafe position, all other channels are just held in the last good position.

Just for you info I had a similar loss of a plane (but on 35 mhz) and on investigation it looked like the Rx battery had come disconnected in flight, in my case when doing a roll.  

Hi Craig
It would be interesting to know how long you have had the radio. Sorry about the loss mate but most people who crash point staight to the radio, when most times it is something else. The lack of range could be the effect of the crash not the reason.
I have had over 300 flights with the same set up and no damage or glitches and would not fly with any other setup
Hope you solve it
Garry

I  remember that some dx6i radios had a problem and were recalled..
there is a test on you tube xplaining how to test it.
The receiver that it comes with is a AR6200 full range .pay to check that its not a parkfly one . Parkfly still have great range  but should never be used for a full range aircraft.
Are you sure thats theres no way the receiver battery hadnt come loose and disconnected... absolutely no control  would suggest that could be the case.
Out of range planes very often end in erratic flight.
Cheers kiwi G

Hi Frank,

thanks for the support, I know about binding to set the throttle at idle and I reguarly check this at the field that is why im really puzzled?.
As for the battery I never really considered it could have come loose but I very much doubt this was the problem as I built a battery bay to accomodate such forces, basically the battery is covered from comeing loose by ply on the top and sides then velcro.
However im starting to consider this could be part of the problem, however again though the signal between plane and transmitter was lost relatively close and when checked on the ground after the crash with different batteries etc.. the servos would not respond at range hence the reason I think something more sinister is going on lol!, I thinks its carma ha!.

Cheers Frank.

Ha Garry,

Its definatley something sinister with the transmitter, I lost controll with the plane at quite a close distance, the thing thats really puzzeling me as I said before is how the throttle setting never returned to neutral.
Range tests after on full and low power were not providing results.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention to everyone, about a month before I put my prangster in a dive and I couldent pull up or down for that matter, but because it was a prangster I never put much of an investigation into it and I thought that the speed the plane was travelling the standard servo could not pull because of the pressure on the wing, I think I was mistaken and if that was the case then im gonna give myself a swift kick up the arse lol.

Cheers Gary any thoughts.

Hi Kiwi,

yeah I remember the service announcement, I followed the checks and checked the date code as well, all was good with the tests, I really am puzzeled.
I dont think it was the battery but it could be part of it, I built a purpose built battery bay for the forces of the plane and only a hard knock landing could loosen the link, this didnt happen prior to crash flight lol!.

The reason its not range checking could be flight damage to the receiver but im convinced its the transmitter, espessialy because of a incident about a month earlyer, see above.

To me and my old instructor its all pointing towards my tx and its a real shame cos i love it and despite whats happened even if it gets fixed or replaced its knocked my confidence with spectrum especially because of thier service announcement, worst case senario someone could have died, there were two old girls walking bye seconds after it went down, totally oblivious.

I think when I get some dosh in the future ill upgrade any recommendations?.

Cheers Kiwi.

Ah Craig
The Prangster wasnt mentioned before, and this opens quite a can of worms.
I think now you have to let them check out the TX and go by what they say. After all they are the experts.
However dont bin the DX6i as at our club there are an awful lot of people flying with this set up without any probs at all, myself included.
I feel that you have had a bad knock and some bad luck, and when this happens "Get back on the bike ASAP"
Keep us informed of the outcome
Garry

Hi Gary,

yeah I totally forgot about it and thats what convinced the other members at my club as well, Ill be ringing Horrizon tomorrow, I do think ill keep the tx as it is brilliant in my opinion but as you say it's a bit of bad luck, I really loved that plane though lol!.

I will be getting a new plane soon hopefully but Ill have to wait for my tx now lol!, im thinking Weston Hype Or mini Hype 3D, ive got a few issues with this as well though, its in all things flying if your interested.

Many thanks Garry, much appreciated.

Craig Ive just remembered something important about the dx6i.
Are you using a wired transmitter battery pack or loose rechargable cells.
Mine has rechargable cell and the battery retainer on the back of the set comes unclipped a bit. then the batteries drop a fraction and hey no response ..
I luckily discovered this on the flight sim one night.
It may pay you to check.
No battery ,no transmitter.
Up grade= DX7 theyre good...
Check the clip it may be worth it...

Another thing.... it isnt the Rx that was in the crashed prangster is it ?
If so, then the Rx should have been sent for checking before use again - good practice after any hard crash.
I secure the battery compartment cover on the wife's DX6i with a strip of diamond tape as they are a poor fit as kiwi G says.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 24/08/2009 10:19:58

Hello Kiwi,

Im useing rechargeable loose cells, they have always seemed a very good fit though, the voltage on the tx didnt drop on the day though or turn off.
Thanks for telling me though, I do remember someone at the club memntioning this and my old instructor checked it out.

I think in time I will get the DX7, but I still love the feel of the DX6i the DX7 has not got the same feel to it lol!.

Wheres that clip at mate.

Cheers Kiwi.

Hi Timbo,

No its a different one in the Prangster which is how ive come to the conclusion its the tx (no damage to the radio gear was taken on that flight and there is no possiblity of the battery comeing loose) , ill bear the diamond tape in mind when I get my one returned lol!.

Cheers Timbo.

Hi everyone,

I sent my TX and RX off to Horrizon Hobbys yesterday evening and phoned today at 15.00hrs. They said that there was no problem they could actually find?, I explained that I could not get any movement on a range check and they still said it was fine?.

However they have replaced the board that is connected with sending signals for range, repaired the receiver and done some other work all for free. All in a day and they havent charged me for it which is even better.

I am still very concerned of what happened as it was not a battery issue, I suppose ill never know lol!.

Oh well back to the drawing board, cheers for everyones time, also any feed back on this would be great.

Cheers.

Hi Timbo,

yes its very frustrating lol, HH have done a fantastic job as well however I will be doing rigourous range checks at the field before taking a new plane up lol!.

I am a bit suspisous however as to why they have replaced the g board if it wasent broken for free?, me and a club instructor have a theory that they do not want to recall another batch of DX6i's or maybee im too paranoid lol!.

That aside I am very impressed at thier service I just wish it was there before my shiny first wood plane hit the deck lol!.

Cheers Timbo.