RM276 Chipmunk

Bob Webster

Advert

Having connected up the vacuum cleaner, I didn't notice any dust at all!
Going to be a delay on the wing now - I've run out of 1/4" sheet balsa.
Oh dear, I'll have to visit a model shop - what a hardship.
Well it is really, there hasn't been a full blown aeromodelling model shop in this area for several years now.
Serves us right for all the mail order bargains we picked up, especially when the net appeared.
Not to worry, I can start on the ailerons and flaps.
The rib spacing of about 2" on this wing means that I'll have to buy some low profile servos. Standard servos would be just too tight.
Hitec HS77's look to favourite for this job - 4.4kg at 4.8V.
Bob

Ground to a halt just now.
Starting to look at the flaps and ailerons.
Cutting out was easy but getting the angle on to the leading edges is not going to be so easy.
Thinking cap is being strained here - been thinking about it since Sunday!
More thinking and some action this evening.
Bob

Evening action involved secretarial work for Buchan Aeromodellers.
But today. . . .
One flap built - not the easiest jobs I have ever done. I don't like the idea of just 2 hinges on the flaps - I think the flaps at nearly half a metre long are far too long for 2 hinges. I am thinking about balsa pods below the wing and flaps for Robart hinge points.
Coffee now and cap strips after coffee.
Cheers
Bob

Ah well that's 2 pieces of hangar rash onto this model already.
Chipped the trailing edg of the wing - going to be a nasty fill job.
Dropped the 12" sanding block onto the flap - needless to say it landed corner first and so filler will be needed.
I love modelling, it's so relaxing!
Not to worry, one flap complete except for hinge blocks and it looks as though it might even line up with the wing.
Bob

Hanger rash.    If the balsa is just crushed the oldest trick in the book might work better than filler.   Just a drip of water right in the dent will usually expand the wood back overnight.  Might need doing a couple of times.

The TE was an easy reapair - a balsa sliver sanded and cyanoed into place. The dent is into soft balsa and didn't come up with water. Now filled, ready for the next bit of damage.
Nearly happened this afternoon when a piece of 6g piano wire tried to insert itself into the wing. Replaced into proper place for now!
Flaps completed along with hinge blocks and Robart hinge points. Lined up quite well. A little fettling will be needed to get the slot exactly right.
Not looking forward to the ailerons - might give them a miss for just now and build the tailplane.
Bob

Started tailplane today. I had already decided that I would not try to build it the way shown on the plan. Just as well. The tail ribs are drawn at sixes and sevens, TE not even the size written on the plan. How you can shape ribs in situ from straight pieces of balsa, I do not know.
I am using the central core method with half ribs sanded to shape with a 1/8" false leading edge. This will allow one side to be sheeted and then the othe side can be built into place and there will be a firm surface for sanding the other halves of the ribs. I can then fit a 1/4" leading edge and sand that to shape.
Core cut and marked out with TE, false LE and ribs fitted. Ribs sanded to shape and ready for hinge blocks and sheeting hopefully tomorrow.
Bob

First side of tailplane sheeted and pinned to the building board. I cut out the elevator halves while leaving the tailplane to dry. No size given for the LE of the elevators and so this is something else to work out. a bit of care will be needed here to allow for the shroud formed by the TE of the sheeting. Cut out the elevator ends to laminate these.
Dog-sitting this evening so no more building today.
Bob

Before sheeting the first side of the tailplane I copied the ribs to reduce the amount of sanding needed. It did make life very easy when building the frame of the second side onto the core. Second side was also easier to sheet since I was able to use clamps and masking tape and so there are only 2 pinholes. Once it has set I'll be able to work out a size for the elevator LE's.
Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It seems MyHobbyStores supply the cowl & canopy for £16.45 under the number SETRM276.

Note what I mentioned earlier - a clubmate built one and said there were some errors on plan- I cannot remember now but it might have been the two wing panels differed, so check before you start!

Jim

Yes toot still flying okay had app 35 flights now ,no probs,i aquired an old toot of bert baker i fitted my spare s/t 75 flew about same as my laser 90 powered one,sadly it came to grief on its 6th flight,traced prob to loose crystal holder on my field force six tx.

Have just finished a zlin 50 akrobat fitted my laser 100 just waiting to test fly when weather & time allow,as i am converting my garage for building as i am running out of space rapidly since i retired 3 yrs ago &can,t stop building.

Barry.