Servo quality

Paul  Course

Advert

Hi Paul,

A lot of the 9g servos are made by the same factory with different badges stuck on.  We have bought about 20 different "budget" types from China and the UK to test before deciding upon which to use and of the ~20 there were 3 different types!  They range from about £2.00 to £4.00 depending upon who you buy them from.

For planes (smaller foamies) I go with the cheaper <£4 types but for heli's I spend a little more and ensure they have metal gears rather than plastic because my heli's cost more to replace!! 

We have sold ~ 300 servos since our launch in March and know of only 2 failures which isn't bad (apart from one of them being on the HTWO-O tested by RCM&E!!!).

Cheers

Bryce.

Thanks Bryce i tend to use them for heli's, i bought a set of 4 hextronic a while ago for a short foray into foamies, three of them packed in within a short time of being used, one moved in sequence with the stick on the bench twice then wouldn't move another did the same after installing in the model and the other managed two flights. so i don't trust these. As you suggest I try to use metal gear ones but as i fly and build for pleasure not competition would like to find a reliable durable one that is faily cheap, after all when i crash i tend to replace them
Regards Paul

Hi jonathan looked at these went to get some from local model shop, the owner said not got any in stock and can't get any suggested futaba or fusion stating that they were essentially the same but with different badges oh and he didn't have any in stock but he could sell me a set of turnigy for £19 (don't think he wants the buisness)

regards Paul

Paul,

We vary ours (depending upon availability) between DYS and Towerpro as they have been the most reliable for us BUT you can buy the exact same servos under many different manufactures/suppliers label on them at varying costs.  The competition is so great that we only sell them as part of our electric packs and at shows because we could come up with a price one day and the next day someone else will have them cheaper! 

Cheers,

Bryce.

Try servoshop. The most competitive pricing for 55s i've found. Good internet ordering system and quick service too.

I've bought towerpro and DYS in the past. i'd buy towerpro again as they're cheap and reliable (if a little noisy) although i wouldn't buy the 9g SG90 as i've heard bad things about it (noisy, unreliable). bought 3 DYS 5 grams from giant cod which jammed at the extremes of travel, sounded different so i could get someone else to operate the tx and recognise which servo was which by the appalling meshing of the gears. I found them totally innapproapriate for any airborne application where failure in flight would have definitely resulted in a crash. i'd never buy from giantcod or buy DYS again as those srvos were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

Why wouldn't you buy from Giantcod because of that Jonathan?  They have not control over the odd couple of dodgy parts that they get from another supplier (dys in this case).

I've used Giantcod a lot and they have always been superb, good service, quick delivery and quick to get in contact if you need to ask a question.   

I bought a VW golf which caught fire while I was driving me, didn't stop me buying another VW or using the same petrol station for fuel (was a fuel leak that was suspected of causing the fire).

Why I wouldn't buy from giantcod again:
-The only product i've bought from them was complete rubbish
-Everything else on their website looks of the same quality; i don't want to waste my minimal financial resources again
-I have been hugely impressed by brands such as flightpower (lipos), futaba, spektrum, jeti and hitec (radio) which are now increasingly available at lower prices
-And maybe least importantly; they have a silly name!
-oh, and if they're going to sell me rubbish i'd rather support someone else's business rather than their's, even if it means spending a few pennies more.

Edited By Jonathan Lewzey on 27/08/2009 12:06:01

from my extensive experience with GC, you are the loser Jonathon.  Why condemn a concientious supplier on a public forum because of one item?

Please feel free to continue throwing your money at the big brands (often branded items from the 'cheap' manufacturers), but try to raise realistic objections if you want to rubbish a reputable UK supplier.

No connection with GC, just a happy customer who's had nothing but excellent service from Rob Carpenter. 

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 27/08/2009 12:17:53

Well of course everyone is entitled to their opinion - and its a free market after all.
Please dont continue this conversation here as its getting off topic  - we do have a dedicated section for discussing the good and bad amongst the retailers. TY

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 27/08/2009 13:47:50

• 1 month later...
Hi Paul,
 My Century GL450SE came with Towerpro servos all round, and although "fairly" reliable, will strip the small gear at the first sniff of a crash and in fact, most of the nylon geared sevos i tried did the same, so i reckon the Hi tech HS56 HB servos would be a better bet, although much more expensive than 55's, these have carbonite gears which "will" survive a crash (i speak from experience ) and they are fast and reliable with good centering and i use them for  the cyclics on my GL . 
A crash with these servos will bend the linkages rather than strip a gear (much less hassle to change a linkage than change a servo or remove it for repair).

Regards Vic.

Edited By Vic. P. on 28/09/2009 22:07:40