RCM&E articles

Many thanks to those of you who took the trouble to answer my "cry for help" !!
I have now tried to contact slec at their website but they are in the process of upgrading their website and have requested our forbearance.
Balsamart were much more helpful and I have now ordered a stripper (no, not that kind you fool) from them. Does anyone know where I can get an SLEC buiulding jig from (as featured page 104 April issue of RCM&E) Thanks John Cook

Many thanks to all of you for helping me find a balsa stripper.I have found one. One small problem: the stripper costs 11 pounds -the freight to get it here (New Zealand) costs 52 pounds- as quoted by Balsamart/Blackburn Models. At that price it would be cheaper to come and get it myself. Anyone know of a more reasonable freight service? When you live upside down on the planet you expect to pay a little more but this much???I have freighted many purchases from the UK (clothing shoes model aircraft bits bits for my boat and the like) but never before has the freight cost been so disproportionate to the value of the goods in the shipmentAnyone got any bright ideas? Thanks again for the support from you all. John Cook

John, have you considered making a balsa stripper yourself? Essentially it is only a straight edge with a sharp blade clamped to a block. It would be quite easy to make an excellent one with parts from a Meccano set for example that would outlast the SLEC one.
There are aso probably carpenters tools, gauges etc. in a local shop or a catalogue that could be easily adapted with simple tools. Also is it cheaper to buy modelling items and tools from the USA where prices are normally 50-60% of those in the U.K.? (Not forgetting Import Duty).

John

I made myself a balsa stripper, or rather mini saw bench, from a dremel, a 5 inch length of drainpipe, a £5 diamond cutting wheel (for the dremel) and offcuts of 1/2" ply/pine strips.

The dremel is held down, on its side, by the length of drainpipe, which is screwed to the sawbench base with two woodscrews (countersunk). A slit in the pipe (which is approx 2 1/2" diameter) allows you to prise it open and slide in the dremel easily, while holding the dremel firmly once released.

Add two oblongs of ply either side of the cutting wheel (spaced to clear it), such that the bottom of the cutting wheel will be below the bottom edge of any balsa you're cutting (while allowing enough of a gap between the cutting wheel shaft and the two ply oblongs to cut up to 1/4" sheet easily). You'll then need a couple of fences behind the cutting wheel, but in front of the dremel, with a gap cut to clear the dremel chuck.

A bit like the one halfway down this page;

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138935829/20

(sorry, it's a different forum).

AlistairT

Hi John,
The probable cause of the high shipping cost is likely to be the length of aluminium angle used to run the stripper along. Ask the stockist to sell you one without the angle strip and they can bung the rest in a small box. I assume you have DIY stores down there/upside down?, buy a length of aluminium angle. It has to be a lot less expensive than shipping costs. Whilst you are in the DIY store have a hunt around and I am sure you could make your own for even less money. If you need help with the design I could email a simple design.
Regards
Sandy Wood

Hi John, A thought has just made itself known in what passes as my brain. I could put my SLEC stripper Minus the channel and get it weighed at my local post office, once we know how much it costs I could get one for you and send it on to you in up-side down land. If this appeals to you let me now via. e-mail. I can also measure the channel for you.Regards Allan J...TTFN