Plan for a stuka?

Glenno

Im looking to for a plan of a stuka that will take my zenoha 26.
All i can find is a Ziroli plan of 101".
I could resize a plan but that would cost more money/time, and i could not use any extras from that plan,cowl ect.
Anybody out there how who can help or sugest anything.
thanx,Glenn

Advert

I am building John Carpenters 80" Stuka (build blog on the forum here).  I had a similar issue to you, with Zirollis excellent plan working out too expensive (most people seem to put 50/62cc engines in those).

Johns Stuka is the D1 variant, which has some advantages and disadvantages compared to the B modelled by Zirolli.  The plans were published in RCM&E and are available to buy online.  John seems to have designed it underpowered compared with "modern" trends (or modern planes are overpowered, delete as appropriate!).

These are the only plans I can think of, but there are kits by a company called Royal, or YT international have 2 ARTF models in similar scale.

Hi Chaps,
Sorry can't help with the Stuka plans but can't help but ask about the under/overpowered comments. Surely with most modern TX's you can simply limit the top end on the throttle to get a scale effect. A larger engine adds marginal cost, good front-end ballast, and having a bigger motor/engine always gives you the option to play.. 

I am going well beyond my knowledge here, but this is my theory- feel free to contradict!!

Scale flying.......no, because you can just throttle back and hold the power in reserve should you need it.  If anything you get better scale sound effects from a big engine working gently than a harder working small engine.  Just realised that is pretty much exactly what Tont S said!

The main reason I think is simply due to cost.  Whilst we all moan about how much RC gear costs now, it was much more expensive in the past, so the saving a smaller engine gave was significant.  People used to have a couple of models and 1 receiver.  I know modest pilots with a dozen or more different models and a full set of radio gear in each.

David kindly sent me the original build article accompanying the plan, and the 80" model is designed for "60-90" size, and whithout ever describing the actual engine that goes in, John says it trundles round in a scale fashion at 1/2-3/4 throttle.  I am sticking a 1.20 4 stroke in mine, but I am also building mine heavy with all the toys I wanted to include.

Hi Andy,thanx for the info. Ive looked for the John Carpenter plan on the web but cant find it.
I too wanted the "B" type. did you convert the plan?
read your build- lots of good info about the plan.
would my zenoha(magneto type) be to big/heavy and its got a side mounted carb.
Would it stick out to much?
What total weight do you expect?
Did you consider useing Belair to cut out your balsa?

I decided a plan conversion was beyond my abilities at this point- this is my first plan build!  So I have gone with the D.  Johns plans would sell much better if they were labelled correctly!!  This is the one

The reasons for thinking about the B were:

1) The chin position would hide the engine better.
2) The plane was being phased out as a dive bomber by the time the Ds were appearing.

No idea about the engine- I've no idea how big they are.  Mine will have an inverted 1.20 Saito so if you look at the pictures you can maybe try judge from that.  The fuselage is in the garage drying atm, but if you remind me I will measure the space inside the engine compartment.

Total weight- don't know.  I am just building it.  I have added about 500g worth of extras though, what with the siren and everything.  Time will tell if this is as foolish as John C seems to think it is! 

As to getting Belair to do the cutting,  never considered it.  I believe it is expensive, and there seemed something satisfyingly masochistic about cutting out the parts by hand.  Actually it was pretty easy- well the balsa pieces were.  Anything in ply was a pig until I carried the lot into work and used their scroll saw!

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to apologise in advance in case I am wrong, but many of the plans sent around in TFF format are copies of designers plans where neither the designer nor the commisioning publisher make any income. 

Most designers love seeing their plns being built- John Carpenter is a wealth of hints and tips on my build; but it is fair that the people producing these plans get a fair return.  Simply put if they don't people will either stop drawing plans, or magazines/companies will stop commisioning them.

As I said initially, Terence's plan might be copyright free, but if you like it and choose to use it buy the original.

• 2 weeks later...
The plans I have are CAD drawn by someone named Steve Bage who I have nwever heard of nor know how to contact, there is no copyright message whatsoever on the plans which are PDF now I come to look at them.
Although I could probably find plans of anything going if I look hard enough I prefer the contact with the copyright owner, I have made a lot of friends this way as most designers like to chat about the various ideas for adapting their designs to other scales or construction methods.
I have collected most of the more unusual designs by Mike Smart of late and love his design for Raven 3, Poltergeist and his excellent 126'' span Reiher V2, they are all lined up ready for building over the next couple of years as I hope to have a 15 foot by 7 foot workshop in the garage  and the spare bedroom in the house...lucky lickle me!...

regards,      Terry