Chris Foss Middle Phase build.

Alex Leigh

Fuz mostly finished last night. Decided couldn't bring myself to bend the front in yet. That's a scary prospect that surely is going to end with something cracking!

Anyway, I've amazed myself that everything seems to line up, it's absolutely square, and the formers have gone in perfectly. I've even been making up microbaloons fillets for each former.

Mainly because I don't want to start shaping the l/e of the wing. And once that's done, I need to take a deep breath and cut into the wings for the servos. That's double scary. Quite enjoying it now tho

Need to do some sanding as my gluing was a bit frenetic last night trying to get everything lined up. More tonight I think.

Advert

Right fuz is sheeted mostly. Filleted all my formers with microballoons. Decided not to glass anything after have a test with some stuff Frank gave me. A skill to far I think for this build.

Pull the nose together this morning and that's most of the fuz finished. Waiting on my balsa plane before starting the wings.

Andy Sanding tips for getting good radius curves for the fuz?

Use a good quality paper, and free hand with gentle touch and mk1 eyeball. You could take off the first few cuts with a razor plane, depending how much surplus there is, but I always finish free hand ( EG: not a sanding block ) if its anything other than completely flat surface.
Of course, that perfect symmetrical smooth curve wont last too long anyway

Right general life stuff has got in the way of building. But I've managed a bit more. Fuz is close to being done (prior to sanding). Still have canopy to build.

Bending in the nose took a while to get it right. Think it's on the centre line, close enough anyway. Looks straight. Next time I need to be less prolific with the glue.

Wings are started. Those leading edges took over an hour each but I'm pretty happy with them.

After I've done the trailing edges, then it's time to mount the wing servos. Bought some boxes and just intend to cut them in where the wing section is the widest. Anything I need to know about that?

Hoping to get it ready for the 11th Timbo!

Just joined this forum, so first off hello everyone

Alex, I'm in the same position as you - I've just started a Middle Phase build.  Like you I've not built anything but EPP before, so I've got a bit to learn.  I used to work as a cabinet maker, so the woodwork side should be OK, but doing a good covering job may be more interesting.

Couple of quick questions for you if you don't mind -

Those wing servo boxes in your photo - do they have a box that you glue into the wing to maintain the wing strength.  My local model shop suggested I cut a 50mm hole in the underside of the wing,leaving just the upper surface veneer, then line with thin ply and epoxy, then build a frame to hold servos in place.  Those servo boxes look a lot easier

What are you going to do about joining wings - LMS suggested glass bandage and epoxy to strengthen joint then do a lot of sanding.  On another forum I've seen suggestions to use a couple of 1/16th ply spars set into wings (going about 8" into each wing) instead of the bandage.  The thin bandage in the kit didn't get very good comments.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
Steve

Posted by Alex Leigh on 25/09/2009 10:35:38:
Message received and understood Timbo. I'll just have to set my "out of office reply" for work, friends and family and it'll be fine.

When I get to the covering stage (which I HATE), is there an option to paint it?

I guess you could use lightweight nylon and PolyC - then paint with your choice.

Thanks Timbo. Yet more technologies to confuse me

Hi Steve. Welcome You're in far better shape than with your woodworking skills. So this will be a breeze for you. To try and answer your questions

The wing servo mounts are in the round, I specifically bought them as a) they fit my JR servos and b) round seemed a better shape than square for cutting into the wing. I think I'll probably line the whole with balsa as well though. My plan is to cut from the bottom at the deepest section of the wing core. Quite scary! In terms of the servo leads, I may try and "tunnel" into the foam with a brass rod, cut the end of the servo lead off and pull it through that way. Not sure yet.

The wing bandage is a bit of a brute. I'd not really thought about it. Quite like the idea of spars but since I'm cutting into the foam already, not sure I want to do it again.

How far are you with the build?

Only just started the build for an hour or so last night, so just joined front and rear of sides and glued formers to balsa backing - bit of a way to go yet.  Hopefully get some time this evening if it fits round the usual family stuff.  I'm building it in the shed this time, so I can leave it all lying about and keep sneaking out - so should be quicker than keep clearing up the kitchen table.

For the wing servo wires, I've seen advice about cutting a tunnel with a sharpened tube, or melt it with a thick wire with the last 1/2" heated.  Seems like some people then line the tunnel with thick drinking straws, or brown paper & glue rolled into a straw.

I don't know if all servo connectors are the same, but I know in Hitec servos, the little metal connectors in the black plastic connector block can be taken in & out - that would save cutting / rejoining wires.

I'm itching to get on with it now

Feel the CRASH

Right after a scientific analysis of the best place to cut the wing (that'll be the thickest bit then to accommodate the servo mount), I took a deep breath and made a hole.

Which I have now filled with a servo mount. Servo is a perfect fit, will just cyano it in probably or maybe even servo tape so I can get it out if it fails.

I've looked at the hot wire solution for the cable, and decided to go with a rather cruder cut'n'shut of the veneer. Might work, we'll see.

Posted by Alex Leigh on 26/09/2009 13:56:13:
Feel the CRASH

Right after a scientific analysis of the best place to cut the wing (that'll be the thickest bit then to accommodate the servo mount), I took a deep breath and made a hole.

Which I have now filled with a servo mount. Servo is a perfect fit, will just cyano it in probably or maybe even servo tape so I can get it out if it fails.

I've looked at the hot wire solution for the cable, and decided to go with a rather cruder cut'n'shut of the veneer. Might work, we'll see.

Alex, rather than cut the veneer, cut a hole in the foam from the center with a bit of tube , 10mm copper tube or similar you should have some lying around from your other project , with and then thread the servo wire through.

Hi Alex,

Hows the build going - mines coming along slowly, but nearly at the stage of shaping fuselage.

Have you built your wings totally flat.  Instructions say 1" dihedral uder each wing for "trainer" aileron, or totally flat.  Not sure whether to go totally flat, or half way between the two.

Also, any idea of the amount of nose weight required for correct C of G - just trying to plan ahead and leave a space just behind nose

I built mine flat. They have a very small amount of dihedral. I am only just ahead of you. Too many things to do other than build. Winds are joined but no bandage yet, tips are done, t/e. l/e done, ailerons need shaping to work for a top hinge. Fuz is getting there (see pics). Just tail, rudder, servo mounts, gear installation, covering, etc, etc but I think I can at least see the home straight!

Popped the wings on last night and it was looking ace! Made a few mistakes, nose isn't exactly straight but close enough for me. (you need to click on the pics, as they are not rendered correctly in the vertical plane...)

Still some more to do, but I least I am up to the lamination layer so I can see I'm close. Dents are where I just dropped it!

Edited By Alex Leigh on 01/10/2009 14:49:34

Hi Alex...hope you are still on course for the maiden at the Orme on Sunday 11th then
I have spent week rebuilding my "written off" hawk, which is now even better than better before, and before the 11th I have a Wildthing to do .... an Alula from scratch, and repair the Jart if my mate Steve gets me the fus finished - so we are all gonna be busy

Getting closer. Just finishing the tailplane.  Need to fir servos and start looking at getting all the hinging/horns done. But I'm going to be covering stuff first. Three 2m rolls of profilm coming tomorrow. ORange/Violet/White. Chosen by my kids. I've no idea what it's going to look like.

I have learned SO MUCH doing this. I want to do another one when it's finished. Phase 6 for Xmas?