Elektro Trainer S

David Ashby - Moderator

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

David, How many flights have you made with this model (be honest!)?
It never ceases to amaze me when folk say 'Oh I've had hundreds of hours on the 'Acme 40' or whatever.
As someone used to logging fullsize flying hours, it takes quite some calendar time to amass as many flights (and flying time) as some would have us believe.
I imagine in your privilaged editors position you would wish to test/review a new model a week (if not more) thinks ... oh must allow for the un co-operative British weather and the day-to-day 'Domestic tasks to-be-done'  Mmmm it doesn't leave much time to amass many flights does it(?)
To anyone...Next time you're up at the flying field with fellow modellers take note of how many flights are actually achieved by someone in a session then ask that flier how long they think they've been flying.
Back to the point ... The Graupner Elektro Trainer if built as per instructions with cooling holes, will (eventually) suffer nose fatigue/failure due to the torque of the motor. This is exacerbated, as your review eludes to, especially when using 3S Li-Po.

I log all my flights Kremen (I know it's sad!) and I've flown the pant off this one - 31 flights logged so far since beginning of July and not a single issue with any form of nose weakness. Prior to the review being published and having read comments about the 'weak nose' I made sure I flew it a whole lot more just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. If a problem had surfaced then I would have said so in my review but I'm not in the business of reporting what isn't there even if others have done so and for obvious reasons. 

I agree people often assume a model has flow more than it has and it's only when you start to actually record flight that you can be surprised how little airtime a model has.

Like you David, I log all my flights, but I do it in order to monitor the battery cycles and record each flight time by model and the mAh taken on recharge every time each of them is charged.  The data is useful for monitoring the number of cycles achieved and any deterioration in performance over time.  Batteries are serious business (and cost) in electric flight!

I was attarcted to the Elektro-Trainer as soon as I saw it, but my main issue with it is the price.  In Europe it seems to come with the servos fitted as well as the motor and ESC for about the same price.  I know prices have gone up but £130 for a foamie even including motor and ESC is OTT, and I feel maybe the price is inflated to cover the extras (FlyCam holder, floats etc) which I don't want!

The price, together with the rumours about its weak nose and failing motor mounting have knocked it off my wish-list.   There is much better value to be had out there.

Hi
I am a complete beginner and with the help of John at the NLMFC flew the Electro  S today 5/10/09 on her maiden flight. It was brilliant watching John do a few loops low passes etc to give it a test. All members present were impressed by the model. I read the user reviews on this site which did not give the model a good write up re the weaking of the engine mount. I give it a bit of thought and decided to vent from the underside and out thro the canopy. I also used the 2s battery as recommend in the review in the special issue there was ample power. We flew for 20 minutes plus overall in 2 flights and no problem with the esc .I did check the price against a Multiplex Mentor + esc motor and the Electro was the lowest price flight ready. Early days but I am happy to have the Electro S as my trainer. Nice to read you have had no problem with engine mount after 30+ flights.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 20/10/2009 07:46:12

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Romeo Whisky on 05/10/2009 19:26:50:
Like you David, I log all my flights, but I do it in order to monitor the battery cycles and record each flight time by model and the mAh taken on recharge every time each of them is charged.  The data is useful for monitoring the number of cycles achieved and any deterioration in performance over time.  Batteries are serious business (and cost) in electric flight!

I was attarcted to the Elektro-Trainer as soon as I saw it, but my main issue with it is the price.  In Europe it seems to come with the servos fitted as well as the motor and ESC for about the same price.  I know prices have gone up but £130 for a foamie even including motor and ESC is OTT, and I feel maybe the price is inflated to cover the extras (FlyCam holder, floats etc) which I don't want!

The price, together with the rumours about its weak nose and failing motor mounting have knocked it off my wish-list.   There is much better value to be had out there.

If you think the E-Trainer S is heavy on the wallet, check out the Mpx Acromaster! Did'nt stop me from getting one though - just had to see what all the foam bashing was about