Raptor 90 with OS max-91SH

Mark Wright

Hi there all 
I have a problem with the engine in my new raptor 90.

i get the heli yesterday i was told it was run only 2 times so still needs running in the problem is i cant get the ting started and its driving me MAD

Details
add the fuel and turn on the heli and TX

when i try to kick it over to draw in some fuel to the engine it just will not turn or does but under extreme pressure.
So i removed the glow plug and tried again and it spines up no problem but on replacing the glow plug i have the same problem?

so i removed the glow plug again and tipped the heli forward to clear the combustion chamber but no fuel come out on tipping it forward. So i put it all back together but still no luck

im now not to sure now to move  with this i know i cant just keep trying to start it.

thank you all for any help you can give 

Mark

Advert

Posted by Eric Bray on 14/09/2009 11:42:56:
It might seem a silly question, but your query is rather vague on the technicalities, S0 - are you connecting a 1.5 volt battery to the glow-plug, and is the glow-plug glowing?
Are you using methanol fuel, petrol or diesel?
If the engine will not turn, there is liquid fuel in the cylinder, and the result is a hydraulic lock. If you have forced it to turn over, you have probably damaged the engine.
What are you using to spin the engine over?

Thanks for your comment OK

The glow I connected to a 1.5 volt battery and the plug is glowing it is a number 8

I am using 10% Model tec fuel

The engine will turn but is very difficult to turn on removing the plug it turns over freely

To start I am using a standard starter   

I'm guessing your starter is just no up to the job. You need something with a bit of grunt to turn over a 90 due to the complression. Your average starter will no do the job. Something like a Sullivan Dynatron would do the job (that's what I ended up with afte numerous burnt out starters, are ruined geared starters).

As a work around, you could back the glow plug out a couple of turns to help get it turning over, then nip it up once it's running. I had to do this a few years back with motor which was very difficult to turn over when running in. I wouldn't do this in the long term, but it might just get the thing to fire.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Mark

I agree with Simon's comments above.  You will need a high torque starter for that beast..  If it still dosn't start after loosenining the plug I would slide/take the carb off  and return the mixture screw to its factory settings as in the engine manual. If you haven't got one with the heli you should be able to get a copy online.  As it is second hand it could have had the settings played with.

If you do not fancy doing that you could always take the fuel line off at the carb end. -attach a length of fuel tubing to the carb.  Set the throttle to about 1/8 open and blow down the the tubing and adjust the the mixture screw till you get a tiny hiss through the carb.  This should act as a good starting point for the mixture setting.

then give it a whirl - hopefully it should start

goodluck

Al

Take the plug out, clamp the fuel line, and turn it over on the starter, this will clear excess fuel out, keep your face clear as you do this, or put a cloth over the head. Put the plug back in lightly once you made sure it works ok, leaving the fuel line clamped try turning it over again, if you can't then as mentioned above the starter is not up to the job !

I have a ripmax power panel and a standard starter used for my fixed wings and my raptor 50, when fully charged, it can handle the raptor 50 compression just about!

I have a 70amp leisure battery, and sometimes use this connect directly to the starter which gives it a bit more omph, but really I should get a more powerful starter! Let us know how you get on !

Hi Mark.....all the above is good advise.....it just sounds as though your starter isn't spinning the motor fast enough....certainly a 90 will take some turning over...especially when it's new & tight....I would try loosening the plug initially & when the motor starts remove the glow clip & tighten the plug back up again....OS are great engines so it should run fine.....

If you have an experienced bod on hand that can be a great help too....