Phase 3 Squall

Andy Pickford

I Got some money for my birthday so i decided to buy something with it instead of going shopping in Asda (other supermarkets are available)
So i went for the phase 3 squall. Ive seen all the vids on youtube and read reviews and thought that looks fun. Ive ordered the T V set just for added adrenalin (the brown type!!!)
Does anyone on here have 1 not seen anything on here about it.

Andy

I have the HP version with the VT unit........great fun!
To make it a bit different I airbrushed it with thinned Humbrol matt enamels.

However, there is an issue with the impellor letting go after several flights so mine is grounded until Ripmax distribute re-designed replacement items.  Heard it will prorbably be a couple more weeks yet.

Edited By Dizz on 18/09/2009 00:50:40

Just remember where the RAF came from Andy   FAA been flying from ships for 100 years now.
Anyway, am currently using Tornado 2500 25C 4S batteries but next month I'm getting 2 X 2600 35C 4S packs.  I think weight might become an issue for VT stuff with your 3000 battteries...........but there is only one way to find out!
Ripmax have now issued tech notice re the duff impellor manufacture:

http://www.ripmax.com/Squall_Tech_Notice.asp

Mine going in the post tomorrow.  Also means that my second Squall should be distributed to my LHS soon.  This one will be just for speed and will get a wemotec mini fan, ARC 28-47-1 motor and a 100 Amp ESC, should get close to 1kW and hoping for 135mph S&L.
Regards
Pete

Hi All
        Myself and friend have just got the 3 cell version.  I have found you need 20/20 vision for this one.  We have been flying amoungst other things the phase 3 phantom, which can be flown at a good distance out, but this one.  Let me put it this way, it eats up the sky so quick, and the roll rate on the high movements is just a blur, so in the blink of an eye it is a speck.  Maybe it's just my age or maybe I should have gone to specksavers.       Ours are not fitted with the VT yet.  We have them, but thought it might be a good idea to try it without first.  Which seems to have been the right decision in my case anyway.   For anyone thinking of getting this kit. 
1) it's very quick to build
2) just stick the tail pipe on with tape, get used to it, and then cut the fus rear and fit VT
3) Phase 3 have got this one rught,  IT HAS A RUDDER
4) Do Keep the nose high on landings.  There looks to be a week spot, where the             air intake is situated.
5) It's not for begginers or the faint hearted
6) Now when can I get out again?

Bob S (G0PMI)

An update on the impellor saga:

Getting the nut off was easy with a 9mm socket and long extensions, but the impellor was a tight fit on the adaptor and wouldn't push off.  What I did in the end was lock the impellor with a length of balsa stick up the intake and rotated the out-runner housing anti-clockwise with another length of balsa up the exhaust.  Took about 7 full rotations to unscrew the impellor.  Best thing is no need to cut a hatch or hack the model around to get at the fan.  Thought I would check with my LHS (Totem Hobbies in Plymouth) before posting and I'm glad I did.  He has a batch of new impellors due in with the next delivery from Ripmax either today or tomorrow (to cover all the HP kits sold/in stock) and will exchange mine in the shop, so I dont need to send mine back.  For others out there intending to change to the modified impellor it is worth checking back with your shop to see if they are doing the same - saves a few days waiting for the post .
Regards
Pete

Dizz,

I like the Navy Scheme. Nice original idea. My Fantom is painted in the current Russian blue grey camouflage as used on the Flankers.

However I must correct you regarding the Navy flying from ships. I far as I'm aware they scrapped the last decent Naval plane ie the Sea Harrier a while ago, so the RAF are now having to do it for you!

Edited By Paul Atherley on 21/09/2009 17:53:25

Edited By Paul Atherley on 21/09/2009 17:54:10

Cheers Paul, based on a picture of a DH127 in one of my secret project books.
I painted my Fantom in similar fashion:
However you are not quite right about the Crabs flying from ships (ie wrong)  the jets might all be GR9s now, but it is a Joint Force Harrier with ~50% RN manning - and don't forget all the 100% RN Lynx, Merlin and Sea King helicopters
Regards
Pete

Edited By Dizz on 21/09/2009 22:54:01

Cant beat a bit of RAF / Fish head banter!!! (no disrespect meant by the Fish head term!!) The forces need to stick together cos before long we will only have 1 boat with 1 plane and 1 tank on it the way things are going!!!

When i get mine im thinking about painting mine in the F16 aggressor colours not sure if i should do the blue / grey scheme from Vegas or the black and grey scheme from Alaska

Andy

Today I made the trek to my LMS for a second time, "Squall! HP" impeller in hand, hoping to obtain a replacement in line with Ripmax's published recall policy:  Ripmax Squall Tech Notice which says that replacement impellers will be distributed to model shops

How disappointing to be told by the shop that Ripmax has apparently changed their mind and is not distributing replacement impellers to shops, but instead expecting customers to post the faulty part back to Ripmax HQ for replacement.  What a shame that Ripmax couldn't be bothered to update their website with this info and that they hadn't told the shops this, who were still telling customers on Monday to come back Tues (I was one such customer).

Ripmax - it's bad enough to have a faulty product issue, we know it happens and understand, but at least deal with it professionally, make it easy for customers to obtain replacements and comply with the procedure you publish on your website.  Don't chop and change at a whim.  I'm now out for the cost of two trips to my LMS, plus the time involved and I still don't have a replacement impeller so I can't put the plane together.  Now you seem to want me to write you a little letter and bear the cost of posting a part back to you.

Really disappointing from the UK's biggest model products distributor.  

Edited By peevie on 24/09/2009 17:42:15

Edited By peevie on 24/09/2009 17:42:49

Me too!!
My LHS has been given 3 different stories regarding dispatch and delivery forecasts.  Called in on the way home this afternoon because I was in Plymouth and now appears that the impellors haven't even been sent out yet, but he (proprietor) was still under the impression that he would be getting replacement items to match all the HP kits he has sold.
After a month waiting since the problem was identified am getting rather frustrated with £120+ of Squall collecting dust not being able to fly.  Even worse as this weekend looking like another cracker.

Come on Ripmax, get it sorted! 

Pete

Posted by David Ashby - RCME moderator on 22/09/2009 13:45:04:
Just added to the review section if one of you good chaps would like to leave a review...

Would love to David, but have been unable to get any flying in with it as my Squall is grounded awaiting a new impellor from Ripmax to replace the unfit item supplied with all HP versions of the kit.

Pete

Dizz 
What flight time do you get out of the 2500 packs? I was hoping to get the Loong max lipos from giant cod but they dont do 2500's!!

I just fot my Squall today from the shop the fan isnt in it waiting on the new fan coming in from Ripmax!!!!!! Should be here by the 8th Oct. It will give me plenty of time to do a decent paint job on it.

(Probably going to d oa very quick build blog!! It will go something like glued the wings and fin on fitted servos done!!!!)

Edited By Andy Pickford on 25/09/2009 17:35:15

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Andy Pickford on 25/09/2009 17:31:47:
Dizz 
What flight time do you get out of the 2500 packs? I was hoping to get the Loong max lipos from giant cod but they dont do 2500's!!

I just fot my Squall today from the shop the fan isnt in it waiting on the new fan coming in from Ripmax!!!!!! Should be here by the 8th Oct. It will give me plenty of time to do a decent paint job on it.

(Probably going to d oa very quick build blog!! It will go something like glued the wings and fin on fitted servos done!!!!)

Edited By Andy Pickford on 25/09/2009 17:35:15s then away

Well have you got it/built it yet?    We want pictures too!

I got the new impeller 2 weeks ago but have been away for a while. Got it in the air again over the weekend and am begining to get to grips with the VT/3D element now.  Not as much thrust or speed with the replacement impeller which has taken the edge off performance, barely greater than 1 T:W now but still hand launches fine.  Have managed several successful Doppler runs and it seems to do a fairly consistent 86 mph air speed S&L.  It does glide very well and am finding that I have to chop the power early to get it down on the strip.  Landing on that big intake not an issue so far, am trying to flare enough so the nozzle touches ffirst.  Am measuring how much I have to out back in the 2500mAh 4S packs each time and adjusting flight timesd accordingly.  Currently the timer is set at 5:00 minutes which takes out about 75% capacity, but that is with lots of  WoT so I expect I'll easily get 6 minute flights once the twisty-turny-tumbling novelty has worn off.

Pete

Edited By Dizz on 13/10/2009 00:28:55

My replacement Squall! impeller arrived from Ripmax today.  Has taken more than a week but since the posties are playing up I'm sure that's no fault of Ripmax.  Shame I've had this kit for so long without touching it.  The enthusiasm's gone really

I rushed out and bought one the day it hit the shops and it's been sat in its box since then.  Now I hear the replacement impellers have much less performance than the originals I'm sorry I waited.  I should have just built the thing with a HET 6904 fan in.