Multiplex servos

Bladerunner

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On my visit to Wings and Wheels (North Weald)on Sat last, I bought what I thought were bargain micro servos but when I got home and looked at them properly I saw that they have 5 wires instead of the normal (to me) 3 wires doh! Could you advise me if they are convertible.

Also posted on New Thread: Servo's.

Never heard of 5 wire servos since the days of reeds! I recently bought some mini digis on ebay which are available in a range of sizes and around 2Kg/cm, 16oz weight Ihave installed 2 in a 52" Spit but not flown them yet. They are called "Turborix", metal geared and upon internal inspection look to be of very high quality. Not bad for £9 each plus the usual silly postage. MM.

• 3 months later...

I have a problem too for which I would appreciate some advice.

I was recommended to fit JR 579 servos to my new YT Adrenaline which I have done. However these boys shift up to 8.3 kg / cm and I've got 6 of them on the plane.

I wondered about the power supply and had 3 questions for which I will be grateful for some experienced answers please.

a) will 4.8v 2400 mah rx battery be sufficient

b) should there be a separate servo battery

c) should I be using 6v battery and if so can JR servos take 6v?

Does anyone have any experience with the JR Multibox as a means of adding a separate battery?

Many thanks

Peter

Should not be a problem from my experience but presume the battery is AA NiMh from the capacity stated. NiCads would be able to supply a higher current possibly but are probably not necessary. Try deliberately stalling acouple of the servos to check that everything is still OK (not from a fully charged pack though). If you are concerned then a separate Rx pack of much lower capacity is always a good idea. You do not need a Multibox if you are capable of disconnecting the red wires from the servo plugs and commoning them together via a separate switch to the servo battery, otherwise stick with the commercial item. I currently run 4 digis/ 2retracts on a couple of models from 2000NiMh cells but realise that the number of flights is limited somewhat. I would not try 6V because your Rx may not like it.

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your advice.

When you isolate the servo supply (I've done it in the past when providing a seperate supply for a gear servo) for a number of servos how do you maintain the signal and return feeds as individual elements?

I have a mix of advice on 6v where others have suggested that it is the servos which dont like 6v. Have you had bad experience with rx on 6v? - I'm using the JR 77s synthesised SPCM receiver.

Thanks for your help

Peter

Do it just the same as for a retract servo, but this time there will be more than one involved. Have not tried this yet but you would need to use some ingenuity in order to common the red wires and still be able to unplug your servos. A lot of large models use a bespoke wiring harness to achieve this. As long as the brown /black and orange/white are commoned thoughout the system it will work, with the Rx pack only drawing a small current to power it. I have considered 6V for a large model I have nearly finished but looking at other reports I may stick with 4.8 or maybe 8.4 regulated to 5V using much heavier duty wiring than normal.

Thanks for the idea. I was also wondering about wiring 2 batteries in parallel  via the heavy duty charger switch socket with a Y lead but that would just give a greater capacity overall.

I could really do with something I plug the servos into as a block whose power supply comes from its own battery and which has individual leads to go to the receiver without the +ve power lead in each so that I retain control to each servo.

Mmmm?

Thanks for your help

• 4 months later...

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. As you say I posted a while ago. The solution I have gone for sop far is to install a 4100 sub C RX pack. I have added on on board glow with a dedicated sub C cell too. I'm hoping to get it flown for the first time at Easter - if the weather lets up!

Thanks for the response and help