Kyosho Spitfire 50

Craig Spence

Hi all I will shortly be getting a Kyosho Spitfire 50.

Its my first scale plane and theres a few things im unfamiler with.

I would like to put a Saito 62 in it although its only rated for a 56 four stroke, ive seen the same model with a 70 four stroke in it with no problems. Would this be OK?.

Do I need to buy high torque servos?.

Will I need a slim high torque servo for the retracts and a slim one for the flaps?.

What about slim aileron servo's?, can you get high torque ones for the wing?.

Also is anyone familiar with programeing the Spectrum DX6i for flaps and retracts?, so when you pull the flap switch the flaps come down and when you pull the gear switch the retracts work. Ive read the manual and its not specific enough, I have activated the retracts on mix two but this is not what I want as the gear switch is for this function and plus its easer to flip this switch.

The flaps when activated also move the elevator.

Any help much appreciated, cheers all.

Advert

Hi Craig

I'm sure the 62 would be fine there. 

Standard servos also will be fine - it's not as if you'll be stretching them as you would with a 3D model. Slim? Just fit standard servos - it's so easy to overspec models these days. I've used std servos in my hangar 9 Spit these last 2 years (a bigger model) and they've been fine.

I'm not familiar with the DX6 but I would have thought you'll need a 7-channel unless you y-lead the ailerons?

Don't link the flaps to elevator until you've flown the model and know how it'll react to the flaps. 

Hi David,

thanks for the help again, well im glad to hear that standards are fine, its a little less of a dent in the wallet lol!.
The 62 Saito is cheaper than the 56 as well so bonus there as well lol!.

I will be useing a y-lead like I do in most of my planes, is this ok as I know some people prefere to use two different RX ports.

The flaps on this plane are split flaps and only go down and the problem Im haveing is that I dont want the flaps linked to the elevator, I just want the flaps to operate by themselves but the elevator always goes with the flaps for some reason. Are they supposed to be set like this, I have no idea lol!.

Any Specki users out there.

Cheers David, once again much appreciated advice.

• 1 year later...
Hi All, From Wills

I,ve recently purchased a kyosho spitfire 50, and reading some of your forums I can see there will be some adjustments and parts of the model to keep my eye on! E.G, The firewall and fusalage! and u/c!

My concern is the cowl, it seems to be a little bigger in size than the actual model, if I were to add screws to fit either side of cowl I will possibly end up with a cowl like a figure 8, rather than a nice fit 0, shape I hope you see what I mean?

Im also considering using 3001 futaba servos I have them in my tiger trainer! Are these considered to be standard servos?  And Im thinking of purchasing a 4 stroke FS54S Tiger engine, which is light in weight. And should fit inside cowl without any cutting. And a three blade 11x6 prop! Any ideas or advice can anyone help?

Craig,

It's just as well you'll be y-leading the ailerons as the Dx6i uses the flap channel to allow dual aileron servos. In the Setup list, go to Wingtailmix and Dualaileron should be inhibited.

Firstly, David is right in suggesting you don't link the flaps and elevator until you know the effect the application of flap will have. In some models it creates a nose-down attitude, in others nose-up. Others with this model may know what this Spit tends to do in that respect. Some fliers prefer to ignore the trim change and use the elevator stick to compensate, others program in a small amount of elevator to provide the appropriate compensation when the flaps are activated..

To make sure there is no interaction, in the Adjust list, go to Flaps and make sure Elevator is set to 0 for both Normal and Land. I assume you already have some travel programmed in on flaps for 'Land', otherwise your flaps would not be moving.

I'm not sure why you've used mix 2 for the retracts. If, in mix 2, you scroll down to 'SW' bottom left, you may find that it is set to 'Gear'. Either change it to another switch or just inhibit mix 2.  I'd go to the Adjust list and set mix 2 to inhibit - this should stop it!

I'll let you absorb that - come back if  I'm way off track or you have further information.

Pete