Plane not "square"

Russ1974

Now that my plane is all built and ready to fly, something I won't be doing until the model has been checked over by somebody at the local club, I've been doing lots of checks and rechecks myself and have realised that the tail section (mainly the horizontal part, but very slightly also the rudder) are not perfectly square.  I noticed whilst building that the fusealage naturally appeared a little twisted and I compensated as much as I felt I could, but obviously it wasn't enough.

In all, looking from the front of the plane, the right hand side is a good 1/2" higher than the left, and the rudder is probably about 3 or 4 degrees off vertical.  The wings are perfectly level and everything else is fine.

Clearly the plane would not fly straight like this - I am hoping that that it can be compensated for by a little extra trim in the right direction?  Or is my pride and joy for the bin / start again?  The tail section is welded on with 30-minute epoxy and I see no way I could get this off and refit.

Edited By Russ1974 on 23/09/2009 15:37:07

Advert

You sound like you are talking about your first plane, could I assume that it's a trainer of some sort ??.

I wouldn't worry too much. I help a lot of people with their first models, and some of them have twists and faults in them which you would be hard pushed to build in on purpose !!.

The majoriy always fly well, maybe need a bit more trimming depending on throttle settings etc, but I really don't think you will have a problem. Hard to be exact without seeing it, but a mis alignment like that wouldn't ground a trainer style plane in my opinion.

As long as it has been built well, correct glues etc and is structurally sound, it should be fine. Building from plans or ARTF's is a learning experience, you are best making mistakes on the planes that are built to learn on which have much more user friendly flying habits than your first scale job !!.

I hope the test flight goes well.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Russ,
for a good aerobatic model, the building must be accurate. If it's not, there will always be a wee bit of trim needed, depending on speed, wind, etc.
I try to set up a new model by measuring all the critical dimensions with a steel wire
(it wont stretch)
For a trainer, its not so critical, and usually a few clicks of trim will sort things out, but remember that once the trim is ok,  adjust the clevises so that you can get the trims back to neutral
Best of all get some help
ernie