Day 2 Llandudno PSSA meet

Fly_Boy_Rez

Well it looks like the weather gods are benevolant after all. We've actually had a good a proper PSS meet today with a great turnout again. We've had three and four Hawks in the air including Matt Jones' black Hawk with it's scale wing. Flew lovely! My A380 had a couple of successful sorties with engine pods and then we moved on to a splendid set of cold war era jets and bombers including Simon Cocker's B-52, Nigel Moule's Victor, Phil Cooke and Nigel's T-33s and another maiden flight, Matt Jones' superb Vulcan. As I write Simon has just launched his Victor bomber as well! More to follow...

Ah Rez beat me to it this time...he must have posted this from on site via a blackberry, or gooseberry or summat
Well I dont know where to start about today - simply the BEST days session I have had in many years - truly.
Highlights for me were...
1) Simon Cocker handing me the box for around 30 minutes of flying his magnificent 12 ' span, 12lb AUW B-52 bomber - wow she flies really well, and set up beautifully with proportional flaps on the throttle stick - truly awesome sight ..... much video was taken, so keep watching this space for the links.
Meantime here's a static shot of a very chuffed me and the beast.

2) Matt finally got to throw his superb scratchbuilt Vulcan off the big rock, and after adding some noseweight she handled just fine ...surprisingly fast and great presence and sit in the air.

3) That man Cocker did it again with NASA's experimental AD1 or whatever it is called, rotating wing contraption -as  ingeniuos as it was weird.
Video clip of the wing action will be posted later.

4) Matt again with the gorgeous Tristar airliner.

5) Great sorties by myself with the re-built hawk ( which flew absolutely great ) in formation with 3 other Hawks piloted by...Matt , Rez, and Phil.

6) Back on the sticks of the B52 for some nice formation flying with Matt and his Vulcan.

More pictures and loads of video to follow, but in summary... WOW loved every minute.
Im off for a hot bath and catch you all later

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 27/09/2009 17:34:36

Oh yes...one of a few highlights of my modelling days for sure
Few more pics, and a bit of B52 action.
PS Click the image to remove the squashed look
Andy Conway - own design scatch built Boulton Paul.

The F18 Hornet and a hawk on a sortie
Man of the match - A deserved trophy winner...Mr Matt Jones is presented with "The Ron Collins Memorial Cup"  from Phil Cooke -  for his wonderful Vulcan bomber, here today on its maiden launch over the irish sea.

The man himself again with his equally lovely F18 Hornet - looked fantastic in flight.

And here is Phil doing a nice low pass over the face of the hill with his shooting star
- DUCK

Heres just a short clip of Simon launching the B52 - unedited, but worth a look nonetheless. I am expecting some good quality edited video in the near future, thanks to Des, and also I believe Rez has some in the can - watch this space for more
Enjoy..... the majesty of it

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 27/09/2009 19:29:52

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 28/09/2009 22:38:13

Good write up Tim . I'm finally back, the car's unloaded and I'm exhausted after a full day's flying, I ran out mt Tx battery and had to recharge slopeside! It was definitely 'maiden' day for me. The Hawk flew beautifully from the off. The Hornet was OK in the end after breaking the nose in an unexpected arrival early on, a quick tidy up and it'l be good to go and the Vulcan, even despite two poor landings exceeded my expectations so I can add 3 more proven flyers to the Tristar which had it's first flight with the engines on. Getting the cup, kindly donated by Ron Collin's son, was the icing on the cake of a great day. I can't wait to see some pictures

Not sure what the music is David...just some generic thing "supplied" by U Tube as they are clamping down hard these dyas on us using commercial tunes.
I am afraid I would need not only a new car, and a larger garage, but possibly a new wife also if I dared to do it...but then again
Every right to feel euphoric Matt...it looked superb.

Hi all,
I was really glad we were blessed with sufficient lift on the Sunday following a general PSS grounding on the Saturday due to the light lift!  In the end the Sunday turned out to be a winner, not only good lift on a good slope but also a good attendance with 30+ models and I'm sure there cant be many (if any) that weren't flown at some point during the Sunday!

And not only a lot of flying, but a lot of flying with new or very rare models too, so plenty to write about!!!!

Rez and I have hundreds of photos and well over 2 hours of video to trawl through and edit, it wont take us too long, but we can't upload immediately so please bare with us and keep posted here for more from the weekend!!  I will have a report written for the PSSA website in the near future also.

Congrats again Matt on a successful day, I cant remember anyone ever doing 4 maiden flights with 4 new models in 1 day before, and your Vulcan really did steal the show as we knew it would as soon as you proved it in the air!!  She looked magnificent - I have a number of photos here where you would be hard pushed to tell it from the real thing!!!!  A deserved winner of the new Ron Collins Memorial Cup - well done!

Phil

Edited By Phil Cooke on 28/09/2009 21:30:31

Edited By Phil Cooke on 28/09/2009 21:30:48

Edited By Phil Cooke on 28/09/2009 21:33:06

Edited By Phil Cooke on 28/09/2009 21:33:29

Edited By Phil Cooke on 28/09/2009 21:43:13

ok Matt, you asked for it - here it is!

A few shots to start with - more on their way to you on email, but these are well worth sharing!! congrats again on a fantastic PSS model!
Martin Middleton pushes the Vulcan over the edge for the first time!

She handles wonderfully, and Matt shows her lines off for the camera!

Circuits are tested and she shows no vices! Looking good!

The Vulcan formates on its US counterpart - the B-52 - Great flying here from PSSA members Matt Jones and Simon Cocker - well done lads!!

A great maiden voyage Matt - I look forward to seeing the model flying again!

Phil

I am just uploading some video now - the missus took some on our little stills camera of me flying the B52 trying to get in formation with Matt andVulcan.
Give us a half hour or so, it will be raw and completely un-edited but should keep you going until we get the proper videos in
I had a mate come up on the day with a good quality video machine, and he has loads of footage and will, I am sure, do a nice production job...watch this space.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 28/09/2009 23:03:16

Heres a couple more short and simple vids - Myself, Matt, and Phil Cooke flying the Hawks, and then a short piece about the quirky EPP Eagle - I have ordered one of these- just couldnt resist.
Should cause a bit of a stir amongst the many real birds that often accompany us up the big rock!
First up is the BAe Hawks...
The EPP Eagle will be tomorrow now, as Vimeo is so  s.....l.....o.....w