V tail set-up on DX7

TonyS

I'm trying to set up a Vtai plane on my DX7 and got a problem.....

Setting up for a V-tail is easy - just follow the instructions. The only problem is that this puts the rudder on the left (throttle) stick and elevator on the right.
When I don't have ailerons, just elevator and rudder control, i prefer everything on the right stick. 
I've swapped the servo plugs around on the Rx and I've tried other configurations such as delta but still struggling. 
Anyone had the same issue and more to the point, has anyone found a fix....? 

Advert

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the reply. Problem is there is no rudder on a V-Tail. Each side effectively has an aileron servo and both act together as an elevator and as ailerons to control the 'rudder' function. There's no u/c so steering isn't a problem - it's a hand-launch and belly land model. 

V tail configuration.

Proper configuration will give …for right rudder the left surface of the V-Tail goes up and the right surface down.
With a 'v' tail model, looking from the back, up elevator should make both halves of the 'v' move in and up, and "down stick" gives out and down. For left rudder, the left half goes out and down, and the right half goes in and up. Vice versa for right, of course.

PS:
I take it you have correctly set the Tx software to V tail mix?
What mode are you flying Tony?

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 01/10/2009 17:18:46

Actually, I think now after reading your post again, I see the issue .
You want to put the rudder on the right hand stick where you ( mode 2? ) would normally have aileron?
How about seting up a free mix ( on mix 5 or 6 to keep trims active ) with aileron as master, and rudder as slave 100% +/-
Surely this would then allow the right stick L/R gimbal ( normally aileron ) to "mix move" what would normally be the left hand L/R gimbal (rudder? )
Of course, rudder on the left ( as normal ) would also still be rudder.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 01/10/2009 17:28:10

I use Futaba and had a similar issue on a Flying Wings V-trainer which I solved by using Elevon mixing not V-tail, but Spektrum use different words.  What you want to do is not choose V-tail mixing but Delta mixing.  This puts up/down and left-/right on the single right (mode 2) stick - see P. 44 of the manual.  Then use the aileron and elevator Rx sockets for your 2 servos.  See p. 46 of the manual.

Thanks chaps -
Timbo, you've lost me I'm afraid with free-mix (I'll look up that one).
John,
I've set it up as you suggested and now I've nearly got there but have the rudder function on the elevator stick (right) and  the elevator function on the aileron  stick (right)...
Aaaaargh 

GOT IT!!
Set for Delta, Reverse the aileron, Elevator and Rudder channels then plug the right v-tail servo into the aileron socket on the Rx and the left into the elevator socket.
Cripes that was sending me dizzy!!
Thanks to all for the help.