Building the Nijhuis Lancaster

Hi Walts!

I don't make any promises regarding a build thread but we will se what happens. I am used to take loads of documentary pics in my work so that will be done anyway.

The plan is to have the Lanc ready for the show season of 2010. For this (2008) season i was going to use a multi engine flying boat but for work reasons that one got delayed so when the Vimy came up I grabbed it so I had something new for the 2008 show season anyway. The flying boat will be next years show piece instead. I have got all the parts cut out for me from the CNC machine shop a fiew weeks ago.

If you are intrested in seeing my Vimy in the air you can search for "crispinsweden" on youtube. Hans Crispin is a friend of mine and a god photographer. He got the second Vimy test flight brodcasted on national TV here in Sweden. On his Youtube arcive you can find the first and second flight of the Vimy. If you have look, please tell us what you think.

If you read some swedish(!) you can find an article about my Wimy in the next issue of "Allt om Hobby" # 6in the shops 5th september. That includes pictures from the shop in the Philipines when they built my model.

I am packing the Vimy in the rental truck right now. I have two exebition flights to make at a modelshow in Karlskoga this weekend. Lovely model airfield  with nice hangars, a big bar and AC!

Best regards

Tomas Leijon

Hi Tomas,

Unfortunately I can't read Swedish, but I did get to see the two videos.....................very very nice! flies so gracefully and lands beautifully slow. Large models obviously don't phase you! I look forward to seeing the 17' Lancaster when it's built  After the Tony. Nijhuis 72" Lanc & the GAD 62" Lanc I now have an Aerotech 102" lanc to build............and I thought this was fairly big

I have taken the liberty of posting a link to your second test flight of the Vimy so that others may enjoy it, hope you don't mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2GQjRAcky0

Walts.

Hi walts

No I don't mind at all. I have today started a account on Youtube so I have put in a copy from the flight at the Barkarby meeting as well. You can find it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58OIwtXH9U

It's taken with a regular kamera, not a video so the quality is not so high. The sound is much better than on the testflight if you can hear it through the high wind!

best regards

Tomas Leijon

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends

I just have to show you some images of the BIG Lancaster kit.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32657/Rootrib_0.JPG

It is not a very big foot but a very big wing rib. The cord is about 800mm (31")

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32657/Former_0.JPG

The formers are so big that a normal scandinavian cat can walk through them! The engine is a normal Ross 60 for sice.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32657/Woods_0.JPG

One of the three boxes is FULL of wood! The whole forest by the way!

I also have a image where I have my head in the canopy moulding but I look so ....... that I ceep that one for my self!

NIce hu?

Best regards

Tomas Leijon

Sweden

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi again Walts!

The answer is yes and no! The building area in my shop is ocupied by my Dornier DO-X. I have to finnish that one first as that is the planned model for this seasons exebition flights. Last years model was the Vimy and before that a 1/3 scale J3P Cub with a Moki radial and before that a Turbo Raven with a turboprop etc.

The Dornier is coming together as planned but that means thar the area is not cleared for the Lancaster until may. Anyhow, I have started to redraw some of the parts and build some formers. I made the rear fuselage formers of a build up balsa structure instead of the single piece light ply as the kit was supplied. I got the formers down from 62 grams each to just under 29! That does not sound a lot but wen you consider that the arm of moment to the CG is 2 meters and that the nose is 1m in front of the CG you understand that I save a total of 90 grams (about 3 Oz) for each former and there is a lot of formers back there!

Allso the fins are solid (!) as drawn on Tonys plans. I have redrawn them as a built up structure and the weight is now about half of wath it was supposed to be.! I have also included scale hinging, it did not ad any weight but it looks very nice.

We will also make moulds of the turrets, canopies etc in the rear fuselage and make them from a thinner/lighter material. Regarding the tires, we cant find any light enoght so we will make our own.

How is your own projects progressing?

Regards
Tomas Leijon

• 6 years later...