Building the Nijhuis Lancaster

Hi there i have just bought the 17 feet wing span kit and am taking it back to the states with me. I hope to do a building thread from start to finish with all photos of the build and any problem and thoughts i might have. I also will be asking for your help and ideas. I will also post links to videos of the build and flying.

If this is of any interest to people i will keep doing it.

Hope the weather inproves for you guys.

Gary sunny florida

Hi Gary,

Good luck with the build... Which did you buy, the SLEC Ltd or the Falcon Aviation version?... Ashame you're not around for Cosford this weekend as three of the 17" (1xSLEC and 2xFalcon) will be flying. All three pilots say the model is a real joy to fly...so hold that though, it may help you through the build!!

Tony Nijhuis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
hy there  i am trying to build the avro lancaster which was in the january and february 2007 Rcme i would appreciate some help on the positioning of the main wings and tail.    Have built the fuss but am reluctent to build the wings until i have some hard dimensions. Please would some kind builder please help .Thanks for all help recieved 

Hi Gerry,

I have completed the lanc and to accurately mark the areas to be removed for the wing joiner tube and tail 'holes' I cut out the centre wing rib (from the plan) and placed it over the fus using the sheeting join as a datum for height and incedence and the former at the back of the cockpit for forward / aft positioning and similar for the tail (same datum etc).

Mat. 

I suggest you offer the cut out paper plan w1 rib to the fus as I posted previously.

I then made a box for each inner side with some scrap 2mm liteply and stringers that I sanded to the fus profile to re-enforce the areas where the outer tube is glued in the fus.

Dont worry if the holes for the wing joiner tube in the fus skin are a few mm out of line, just open each one up a little untill the centre tube sits square. 

With the fus sat at 90deg to the building board dry fit the wing tube. Measure under each tip of the alloy inner tube to check it's level, then measure from the tip of the tail on the fus to the outer tip of the inner wing tube. If it's all true the measurements should be the same.When you glue the centre section of phenolic tube in place, glue the re-enforcement boxes at the same time, Use 30min epoxy so you have time to adjust as nesseccary. When dry just add some lightweight filler and job done.

I can't think of another way.

Go on... Take the plunge!!

Matt 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Help required please. Im building the 72inch Lancaster (Tony Nijhuis)but certain how the wing tubes are supposed to be installed. Am I right to assume that the phonelic tubes are glued into each wing and cut flush, and then another seperate piece of phonelic tube glued into the fusalage and the alluminium inner tube is then just used to connect the whole assembley together, and then fixed with screws in each wing panel? Any help (pictures if possible) would be appreciated Cheers Roger

• 6 months later...

Hello Tony and the rest of you!

I have tried to get in touch with Tony for a while. I have got a fiew (5!) hacker C-50XL-12 and 90A esc left over from a work for the swedish filmindustry. I am intressted in building the 17" Lancaster BUT I need to build it to the 25kg TOW limit. I have LiPos for all the engines. I am currently installing two of the engines in the K&W Vickers Vimy 4,2 m span. It is ready for test flight next week. The power from two of these Hackers is SCARY! Do you think any of the two kits kan help me with the parts I need or do I have to scratch build to get the wheight down enough?

Best regards

Tomas Leijon, UAV pilot for work and RC modeler for 39 years, mostly flying Turbo Prop and jet.

Thomas,

Google pretty well finds my name and email too so If you need to email me give it a try..It sounds like the weight limit will be a problem for the Lanc howerver I test flew my prototype uncovered at 19kg. By the time I completed the covering and detail the model etc....it tipped the scales at 30kg so to lose 5kg and get it to 25kg is asking alot , even when converting to Lipo. The SLEC UK lanc would be the lighter as this has built up wings.

Tony  

• 2 months later...

The motors and LiPos are tested in this model right now!

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32657/Vimy_small1.JPG

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32657/Vimy_small2.JPG

Tina at SLEC has shipped the big 17' to me today. I will make a very serius attempt to get it under 25kg with the electrics I have told you about. I am testing some of the motors etc in my Vimy right now. It is flown at airshows around the contry (in a big truck!) As you know I will need VERY light wheels and I am prepared if nessesary to make my own but if there are any realy light on the market it is worth considering.

Regards

Tomas

Hello guys

I got the kit today, that's a complete lumberyard in those boxes! That was 28kg of balsa and LitePly! Lots of it goes away of course but the loads and quality of balsa was VERY impressive. The parts looked excelent and the fit seems very good to. I will start building the Lanc as soon as I have moved into my new Hobbyshop in about a month.

The fins are solid on the plans. I plan to have a built up structure there so I guess that will take some good weight away from the tail.

The plan says that the tires should be 210mm diameter so I guess that the Sullivans are to small. Homemade that means.

Regards

Tomas Leijon