Retract options

Nick Rigg

Hi all - I have a 6EX 2.4ghz and have recently bought a E-Flite Sea Fury. The manual states if you have a computer radio (I do) then you can use two channels for the retract function that will allow better tuning of the servo end points. I have looked in the manual and the only option seems to use Channel 5 with a reversible Y harnass. I've played around with the Mix options using Channel 5 as Master and Channel 6 as slave but it doesn't seem to work.
Any ideas - maybe it's just not possible with this radio

Advert

Well then to have them retract at different speeds or times you really neeed one in each channel- one in geqar, and one in aux. gear as master mixed with aux as slave, and then adjust the offset in the mixing or servo speed if the TX hads the facility.
Sorry cant state how exactly this is done on fuby stuff - I am JR or Spekky

Thanks Tim. I'm not that bothered about the speed, I just want to have both channels (5 and 6) operate the servos to the same extent i.e. full movement. When I use the mix, I can only get the channel 6 servo to move a maximum of about 50% of the other one which is what you'd expect if say you were mixing a bit of rudder with ailerons.
Thanks for your input anyway

I had that radio and the same problem as you. Then brought a futaba 10cap as an upgrade and it worked fine with mixing. What I think the problem is that, the 6 EX has limited mixing and will not allow full mixings to be used(the 50% movement) Your problem is the radio. So I went with the weels going up at the same time as then you can do it with no problems.  I had no problems either with the end points being on one channel. 

Hope this has helped Nick

Edited By Thomas Barwick on 15/10/2009 16:37:46

Yes Tim I do see what you mean but I think I need something like 100 degrees of travel to actuate the gear fully. And the mixed channel (6) just doesn't have enough - about 60 degrees even with max EPA. I'll have another look at it based on your suggestion but I fear I'll still be going down to the LHS come Saturday....

Hi Nick,

I too have a Sea Fury with the supplied retracts and, like Timbo, I'm a Spekky man so cannot help you specifically with the Futaba setup, unfortunately. Someone on here will know.

I'm using a couple of the cheap generic 9g blue servos for the retracts and they only need about 45deg total movement to lock the retracts both up and down. The over lock system works very well once the throws are set up. Don't fix anything down until you've had a really good play with them!

There are two frustrations I have found with the retract system. Firstly, the legs are pretty flimsy and anything other than a greaser of a landing on a billiard table tends to bend them to the point where they stall when closing, so I seem to have to play about before every flight 

Secondly, the servo tape mounting system, even with a layer of epoxy pre-smeared on the foam to secure it properly, eventually results in the servo twisting as it operates and introducing lost motion in the sequence. It might be worth putting a 1/64th ply box in the housing just to beef it up. The problem for me now is that it will be a pain to remove the undertray to put it all right. 

Many will say that it's easier to dispense with them and just hand launch. I might end up doing that but, heck, it was supplied with them so I wanted to use them!

I would add that, given the effort the poor little servos have to go through each time, I'm seriously impressed how well they have stood up to the punishment. I'd have expected them to strip their gears by now but they're still hanging in there!

Pete