Lysander F7 error?

I'm just getting around to attaching the 4.5mm stringers to the main frame of my Lysander and I've found that former F7 is about 8mm too short.  I'm working from the plan, not with the CNC set, so I don't know if this affects those who've bought the set.

Anyway, I've copied F7 off the plan and then stretched it heightwise by 10.5% to make it the right height (width is okay) so I can cut a new one.

Did you make yours from plan, or did you have the CNC set?

On the plan, I'm convinced the F7 they've drawn is a true elevation of the former (as if it were vertical) which hasn't allowed for the extra height required because of the slope.

Before I realised what the error was, I was filing away at the bottoms of the notches in F8 so that the stringers could drop fully into F7 without me having to bend them down.  If you didn't push the stringers fully in, you're going to have to infill between them before you start covering, to give a smooth end to the covered section, and a smooth seating for the canopy.

Hi Tony, thanks for the great design.  I've just about finished the fuse, and it's one of the easiest plan-builds I've done so far.

Anyway, about F7:  If I draw a line across the bottom of it on the plan, and then measure top to bottom, I get just short of 76mm; if I then go to the fuselage side elevation on the other sheet, and measure the top-to-bottom slope height of F7 in position, I get 82mm.  So, it still seems to me that F7 is 6mm too short, and this is exactly how it was in my build  before I realised where the problem was ... the top stringer already sitting in its notches in F8, 9, and 10 flew over the top of F7 without touching it when F7 was sitting properly on the two side stringers #7, at the correct slope.

Comparing F7 with F8 is not valid because F8 (according to my measurment off the fuselage side elevation) should be about 4mm shorter in elevation than F7 because of the slope of the top stringer.  That's discounting the fact that F7 should also be taller and wider overall because the stringers are notched full-depth into it instead of by only 2mm or so.  So, if F7 matches the top part of F8, then it's too short.

Alan,

the 82mm is a bit misleading as F7 dosen't extend past stringer 7....I think F7 may be a couple of mm short because I have measured 77mm from top of stringer 1 to the centre tangent of stringer 7 at the rake back angle.....the bottom line is F7 should be about 79mm (top to bottom edge) to fit  perfectly

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 03/11/2009 13:13:31:
Alan,

the 82mm is a bit misleading as F7 dosen't extend past stringer 7....I think F7 may be a couple of mm short because I have measured 77mm from top of stringer 1 to the centre tangent of stringer 7 at the rake back angle.....the bottom line is F7 should be about 79mm (top to bottom edge) to fit  perfectly

OK, I was measuring on the front face of F7, so my 82mm results in the back edge of F7 extending down beyond stringer 7 a bit.  Checking my plan again, this is exactly what is shown on the side elevation -- the front face of F7 extends 4mm below the centreline of stringer 7 (i.e. 1 or 2mm beyond the bottom edge of stringer 7), and the back face about 6mm.  Contradicting that, I see that the size of the notch for stringer 7 in F7 is 4.5mm, which prevents the bottom of F7 dropping below the bottom of stringer 7 which, I think, is why I my replacement F7, made to my 82mm measurement, was too tall.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, so thanks for responding in such detail.