Phoenix Models for Tip stalls.....

Delta Whiskey

I very nearly lost my Extra 300s last week on final approach when it tip stalled about 30 - 40 ft up, I put on full power and it pulled out. I was practicing my landings and on that day with ZERO wind I was coming in fast, and each attempt I was trying to lower the landing speed. I managed to get it down once, reaching the end of the strip very quickly and having to yank the rudder full over for it to turn quickly.......never have this problem normally as there is always some breeze to land agaisnt !

I was told that I need to fly it in, I normally come in all the way at about 25 - 35 degree angle with little or no power, so the glide keeps the stall speed up, but I wanted to practice this so called 'fly it in' on phoenix, yet all the models I have tried so far, you can WALK them in again with little or no power on the final glide, not really simulating what I wanted to learn........any ideas?

Advert

DW,

If you have not done so already, take something like the Extra and use the EDIT edit facility on a copy to alter the plane gradually worse and worse. I have four differing setups for the Ultimate, for example, making it far worse than my "Panic".

It is not important to "make it like yours", you actually need to gradually set it up more and more extreme until you can fly a dog passably well, then you will find that your own plane is SO easy.

• 3 weeks later...