Painting resin

Tony Read 2

I've been painting a couple of those excellent resin pilots from Pete but run into trouble with some paint.

The first one I cleaned with washing detergent and sprayed with an automotive acrylic primer. I then set about using a mixture of acrylics and enamels. The acrylic was ok but the Humbrol gloss enamel would not stick and eventually ran off like water, two days later it was still tacky. I tried covering over with acrylic but got 'bleed through' problems so bad I ended up throwing it away.

The second one I cleaned and then primed with Tamiya acrylic matt white from the jar. I used mainly acrylics but still needed to use a bit of gloss enamel as it was the right colour. Bearing in mind what had happened before I sealed it with a couple of coats of PollyC over a base coat of acrylic. Aaagh! Reaction problems again but this time non-drying of the paint rather than running straight off. A couple of days later it is nearly dry enough to touch.

Why does enamel act this way?

Advert

The brief answer , I suppose is that all common paints are composed of chemicals which are to a greater or lesser extent agressive in their nature. Many modellers have come unstuck trying to mix coats of cellulose over enamel and vice versa.

The easiest way to paint these pilots, if they are protected by a canopy or not on an I.C model, is to get a cheap set of artists acrylic paints in tubes (about £2) and mix your own colours.

Tony
I too have had slow drying probs with Humbrol . Last thing I painted with it onto a gloss surface was a Flair " Albert". It was tacky for so long that I washed it all off and used 'er indoors's water paints !  After that (& you can get lots of colours by the way by blending) I gave him a few quick blasts of would you believe Tescos cheapo hair spray.Dries almost instantly -no time for reaction !  Then I used two part fuel proofer .No probs
Hope this helps   Myron
I think there's a picture on my forum photos . I'll check when I've sent this .Can't flit around digital stuff like most of you & have just returned from hospital with an even smaller tongue !suffering from anaesthetic lag ) so the brain cell is working in low gear