Red Zephyr

Advert

In the words of Sebastian Vettel " thats what Im talking about"!!.Fantastic day The Radio Queen flies superbly,the Red Zephyr modded Rudder control has done the job and its a real treat to fly,and the Flair Cub finished the day perfectly.Really akward wind but hey it would have all been to easy""

The Red Zephyr continues to impress with some excellant flights today but the Radio Queen has been playing up and dumped itself in some very long stuff with no damage.The guy I bought it from used it for aeriel photography so fitted a very expensive servo on the rudder.I kept finding the pull pull loose,thought Id cured it but lost rudder one way compared to the other.It had a couple of spins which I recovered from and brought the speed back to land.As I turned tyo land it just went into a spin I couldnt recover it from.Sure enough the pull pull was very slack.When arrived home I readjusted it but as soon as I worked it it came slack again.The servo is in a compartment at the rear Opened it up and there was the servo flopping about its mount had come unstuck

• 2 weeks later...
The Red Zephyr certainly is a transformed model since modifying the rudder and doesnt seem to mind a but of wind.After a couple of flights I flew the Radio Queenand it was all over the place,first there was rudder then not,very unstable under throttle a lot better without.A collegue took the controller from me but seemed to be in a worse pickle than me but we managed to gently coax back into wind and land.The obvious problem seen first was the horizontal stabiliser had a dreadfull warp we I took out easily with the heat gun,but Im also suspicious of the very expensive rudder servo that appears when throttle applied to be hesitant and vague,and cant make its mind uyp so Im going to examine that further.

I I chose to change the rudder servo last night and had two totally relaxing and enjoyable flights with the Radio Queen.The 2 jobs have transformed this model into a really pleasurable floaty quiet relaxing model to fly.It was a bit cross windy today but that didnt seem to trouble the Radio Queen

With the Radio Queen Ive quickly learnt that you have to have it on tickover way out to land it.Yesterday it was a bit of a side wind and it looked good coming in at an angle,and being 3 chennel its the only one I can bring in like that.It looked a little short because I have to use all the strip to slow it down and at the final few feet it gained a foot of height which brought it on to the strip and straightend up at the last second to land gently and perfectly to a cheer from the lads.

Nice one Stephen, I have been flying a venerable quite old Super Scorpion on a MDS 38 and a10 by 6 prop. An exellent flier indeed.On its ellipticle wings it has 2, S.M.A.E. transfers. So I am assuming it was built by some one who knew what he was doing, hence the exellent flight mode. As you say, it takes off and lands with minimal inputs from the pilot. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
Flew the Radio Queen yesterday,Since replacing the rudder servo,and using a hot gun to straighten a warp in the horizontal stabiliser,it now takes off,flies and lands perfectly a real pleasure to fly equal now to the Red Zephyr.If I could figure out why the engine stops every single flight it would be perfect.Im going to sheck the tappet adjustment as weve adjusted it so many times but it just has a mind of its own,its an SC52 4 stroke,starts very well has loads of power,I tried a new plug yesterday although the old one was fine.

Hi Stephen, great models. I also like the vintage style models although I tend to build them from plans, but then I probably have a lot more free time.
I have an SC 52 four stroke and had similar problems with it. Thebproblem was with the low speed needle which was loose and kept adjusting itself, hence the stopping. Apparently this was a known problem due to a poor thread form on the needle. My solution was to use PTFE tape, plumbers use it on pipe threads, on the needle to assist the thread and the problem has now gone. The engine now runs fine at low throttle.
Good luck on finding the solution, and even more good luck on getting the weather to fly them!
Cheers, John.

Nice thread Stephen. I also spent some time flying my Super Scorpion when the weather was good. Bought s/hand, a bit tatty, about 20 year old, but what a flier!.
Every time I took off, it created a lot of interest from fellow club members. A38 MDS up front, the shape of that wing in the air was outstanding. Pity the weather has changed. Its back to the yank and bank flying now. LoL. cheers

• 2 weeks later...