RX crystal interchangeablility

Bob Moore

I recently bought a pair of ch 70 single conversion RX and TX crystals for 35 mhz.  I use Hitec gear.  The rx worked, the tx didn't with either of my two hitec transmitters.  When I told my very well respected supplier said he'd given me Futaba crystals.  He says there will be no problem with the rx crystals, which appear to be true, (though I haven't done a range check,) but the tx crystals are not interchangeable between Futaba and Hitec.

I've searched the forum and Googled the subject and there seems to be some conflict of ideas?

My main problem is I can't recall which of my three models I put the new RX crystal in?

What is popular opinion please re compatibility with RX crystals between Futaba and Hitec?

thanks guys (and gals)

Advert

Thanks Phil, I had seen definite info about incomaptibility with TX crystals, and had seen the capacitance stuff mentioned too with respect to rx.  Stan Yeo is my supplier and he says there will be no probs with the rx crystal.  I guess I'll have to make sure I do some good range checks.

cheers.

Bob

Hi,
I've recently fallen foul of this problem in that I use Hitec gear in the main (tx and rx's) but have in the past also used GWS rx's with my hitec tx.  I have always used hitec dual c rx xtals and these have worked fine in both makes of rx. 

However, I bought 4 Futaba dual xtals (price was too good to miss) and tried to use them in hitec rx's and they simply won't work.  I for one didn't realise they would be manufacturer specific.  Does anyone know if Futaba xtals will work in GWS rx's ( I don't have any anymore) because if they do I've not wasted my money.

Cheers

I have a Sanwa RD6000 Super Tx with a Sanwa Ch82 Xtal - I put a Sanwa Ch82 Rx Xtal into my HiTec FM HFS-06MT Single conversion/long range Rx, and it seems to work OK, with good range.

And before you call me a cheapskate, Jim Carss, I bought a Futaba FF7 2.4 last year!

And while on the subject, since a spare Futaba 2.4 Rx for this is so expensive - is there an alternative, cheaper, Rx to suit - anybody know?

Heaton,
I was in your neck of the woods 2yrs ago,we stayed just outside of Kyrenia for a couple of nights,very dramatic scenery on the North side.

We have been going to Cyprus for 24yrs and always stay in Paphos,bit expensive now with the £ / €    situation.

back on topic,my best pal Barry is tighter than two coats of paint and will not spend his cash,he even gets me to send him small squares of profilm by post to save the cost of a new roll,he lives near Preston and i'm up in Newcastle upon tyne.

Cheapskate !!!!! I can only afford the 6EX 2.4 set and as you say the price of receivers is a problem,cheapest I have seen  £63-99 from Inwoods.

Sherrifeh

JIm

Putting the cat amongst the pidgeons here.....

I'd heard about incompatibilty with dual conversion crystals, but my man Stan Yeo, Phoenix MP says on his web site (where he quotes some of his published and un published magazine articles...)

Another misapprehension a lot of modellers are under is that different brands of PPM Rxs will not work with other brands of Tx. In fact there are a number of receivers on the market that do not have accompanying transmitters Webra and Jeti are two that come to mind. Likewise all the leading brands of servos will work with all the leading brands of R/C equipment providing they have the appropriate leads. I personally use a JR388 transmitter with mainly Hitec airborne equipment. With some single conversion Rxs there is even some compatibility with different makes of crystals i.e. Futaba Hitec and JR. If mixing and matching I would strongly advise a full range / compatibility check before flying. Range checks should be carried out in a controlled manner i.e. a comparison made between a receiver known to be operating as expected and the new one.  (My italics)

I realise he is talking 35 mhz here and not 2.4 Ghz.

This is contrary to Phil's comment that

Every piece of equipment should have the manufacturers own Xtal

I guess I will have to suck it and see?

Thanks for all the responses guys.  (More confused than ever) Bob

Jim Carss:

Hi, Jim - I've lived in Cyprus, North & South, for about 27 years now.  I used to live in a village outside Paphos - Nikoklia; if you've ever been up to Troodos, you'll have gone through it.  Quite right - with the £ on par with Euro, holidaying in the South, and with the prevailing 'rip off the Brits' mentality, is definitely a 'No-no'!  You could try 'Ship Inn' in the Turkish North - very reasonable tariff - try Googling it.  Howevver, there are still no direct flights, due to the ridiculous embargo that the EU still insists on maintaining.  The flights cost to the North (Ercan Airport) are very expensive and take much longer than if flying to Paphos or Larnaca, and they all stop in Turkey - then on to Ercan.  I live just a coupla hundred metres from the Ship - really need a flying cobber - also I play guitar, mainly rhythm - is that a lead guitar you're sporting in your avatar?

Sorry to have wandered off tune/thread, guys - must be my Kiwi Xtal!

Posted by Bob Moore on 24/11/2009 16:55:31
This is contrary to Phil's comment that

Every piece of equipment should have the manufacturers own Xtal

I guess I will have to suck it and see?

That principle still stands as a general rule.  Yes, there are exceptions, but unless you're certain and have double-checked it's safest to stick to using a xtal with the name that matches the thing you're putting it in.  For instance, some "minor-name" rxs won't supply their own xtals, but will state that Futaba (or whatever) xtals must be used

It's me again guys.

Seems some guys on here are trying their best to drag this thread over to holidays in Cypress and where to buy cheap 2.4 gear (though I'm not surprised by the latter cos my mate Jim Carrs is so tight he can peel an orange in his pocket!!!)

Back to the original thread though....

I only use dual conversion rx's and these are Hitec or GWS.  The Futaba dual conv. xtals simply don't seem to work in my Hitec rx's.  Is this to be expected is my real question and I'm sort of getting mixed views.  Anyone got a definitive answer?

If not I reckon I'm gonna have to stick 'em all back on that well known auction site for the Futaba guys to grab.

Edited By Barry Taylor on 28/11/2009 11:14:56

My understanding is that dual conversion crystals are  not interchangeable between makes.  (Although SOME single conversion are!)  This is only from what I've found researching. there are it appears, differing opinions re single conversion.  (Again from what I've read?)

Edited By Bob Moore on 28/11/2009 11:54:46

Dear Barry,

As you know my time is well taken up with household decorating a the moment and I cant keep up with all the threads,35meg in fast becoming a thing of the past and you of all people should be looking to the future and investing in 2.4 and then this topic of fiddling around to get xtals to work would not exist.

Send me the Futaba 65 xtals and i'll send you some fancy Spektrum digi servos from my 2.4 collection in return.

PS  along with Ken Anderson you appear to difficulty with spelling my surname correctly so get some practise in my boy and do try to keep up.

The phantom orange peeler.