Easy Pigeon Airelons

I am new to this side of model flying and enjoying it greatly with limited results.  In my last outing I tried to put the Easy Pigeon  through a hawthorn hedge with no success.  All I succeeded in doing was  breaking the centre section of the wing in half. 

In the process of making a new central section and considering if  fitting ailerons would make it easier to fly.  Would it be worth the effort?

If I was to fit I would use two micro servos in the wing and and would ask what size I should make the ailerons? 

Advert

Well Hamish, I'd waited and waited to see if somebody else wanted to plump for this one but it would seem they are not gonna, so here goes:

Not worth the effort IMO. The Easy Pidgeon is designed as a polyhedral wing so that it responds well to rudder input for it's primary steering control.
An aileron equiped wing would be much more effective with a shallow, straight dhedral or a significant reduction in the tip dihedral on the original Easy Pidgeon wing, both necessitating probably much more work than the benefits would permit.
Best bet is to repair to the original design and mind the hedge in future.

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I had abandoned the aileron proposal as the model is designed for a beginner so why should I tamper with a proven design.

New centre section, the only part damaged, is now virtually complete.  Have to sand down, cover and then fit wing tips, which is all very satisfactory in the broader sphere of modelling.

As far as hedges are concerned they will be no problem in the future.  I was in my LMS looking for some straight 3mm piano wire for my building jig when it was suggested I use a bit of 5mm carbon fibre tube and leave it in.  This has stiffened the wing considerably.  Considering embedding all the broken razor blades in the leading edge so I can just saw through the hedge????