Spitfires every where

Lee Morgan

Any one else noticed how many d agostino spit's are turning up for sale every where.
My question is this. I have been tought how to build from alot of reading and advice from seasoned flyer's (old far%s) sorry grandad lol. How many of these people have codged these planes together with no experience other than the nice book you get. I am sorry to say I have only built a few planes in my life and I am sure a few should have been consigned to the bin if it were not for my grandfarther pointing out the errors on the plans. Even the plans are wrong some times. If a builder knows no different and just build's what he thinks it should be like, then surely these are going to ruin an already fragile hobby.

Hey maybe I am wrong It is known for me to be wrong sometimes

Whats your thoughts on this?

Best Regards

Lee

Advert

I agree with you Lee.
The Spitfire is an aircraft almost impossible to model it is like the old steam trains or the(old) mini cooper, you can 1/4 scale ,1/2 scale but what about the sound?? no other aircraft of it's day sounds like the Spitfire.
Last year I saw for the first time Three Spitfires flying together at an Air display,it was almost a spiritual experience.
You can almost see the Spitfires Locked in combat with the 109's and 110's while the Hurricanes hammer the He111's and Do17's.
The Spitfire is now part of our Nations history,a Nation that is being torn apart by the nanny state and the PC B*ll*£ks.
A test??? bring back the 70's "Life on Mars"
Brill.

• 1 month later...

poor child....70s music indeed

'spose its like anything really, some will be dogs, and some will be fine, of course, if intending to buy one of these overpriced spitty kits, the same old adage that your grandad also probably quoted still runs true today " Buyer beware".

I have never actually seen one in the flesh yet, but a couple of club mates reckon they have, and apparently they were not half bad at all. 

Timbo,

I've flown a Club mates d agostino Spitfire, it flies OK, very docile, not very Spit like at all, but the guy who built it is a very long standing builder of models from kits so maybe that's why it flew ok, sorry to say that it does not look very scale either, I have a Kyosho Spitfire which flies so much nicer.

Many Spits are very "stand off scale" or even "stand a very long way off scale"

However this often results in much easier to fly plane, whereas a true scale warbird of almost any model is usually a lot more of a handful. I have a Sportsman Aviation ( jamara ) Spit @64" span, and sure the taiplane in particular is way off scale size, and most "purists" would scoff at the other bits too...but I dont care. It is instantly recocnizable as a Spitfire, it looks fine in the air, especally once the wheels go up, and sounds nice too.

Easy to fly, a bit fast on landing ( overweight like the pilot ) no flaps but generally a lot of pleasure.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/636/flyby041106wa5.jpg

I  agree non-scale warbirds do fly better and I am not a purist by any means but considering the investment of time to collect the mag (pieces) and the cost it should look a little better but it's very chubby and just sort of not like a Spit. My Kyosho Spit is also viceless and considering the cost (only £114 with retracts fitted) the best value warbird I've had in a long time, I also have their ME109 and they look the part in the air which is from my point of view is where it matters especially with the sound of a four-stroke up front.

• 2 months later...

I live in spain where if you get lucky you can fly only 300 days out of the year, and my norwegian friend Raymond and I both bought the D'Agostini spitfire and both flew this last summer.  My flew into the next field as somehow we lost control and it dived in.  It has now been repaired and should fly in the next two weeks. Rayamond flew his once only and said never again, felt it was too dangerous.  Mind you it serves him right for finishing it in fluorescent pink and green. To some up at 6 euros per week for 56 weeks it was B expensive, and compared to Mich Reeves looks mediocre.

Am at the moment waiting arrival of pogo stick and triple threat kits which have been doubled up by Leon at Belaire from Chris Reid's plans in RCME should be interesting

• 1 month later...
I think most of you are missing the point here with the De Agostini spitfire,I am an experienced builder having built all if my planes over the last 30 years from scratch, and using plans, none of these artf's. The point of the de-ag spit is you dont have a plan, only instructions to follow.Also all the parts are pre cut so building this plane is much more like doing a wooden jigsaw than building a model plane,it was designed like that to enable builders with no experience to end up with a half decent model