Heli sim

Tim Yates

Advert

I fly both on mode 2.  There are strong similarities (as well as big differences!) between helis and planes, and for me it makes sense to fly both on the same mode. Nearly everybody I fly with flys mode 2.

Having said that I did know someone a few years ago who flew the two on different modes - though why he did it I can't imagine!  I think he flew planes on mode 1 and helis on mode 2.  

• 4 months later...
I learned to fly Aeroplanes on Mode 2 and switched to Mode 1 for easier Aerobatic manouvres in competition. I taught learners in both Modes 1 & 2 except when readying for competitions.
I started Helicopters this last year and after having been bugged to get one having used the Reflex XTR Sim. I found that Mode 2 was the logical set up for Helicopters in that it allowed my left hand to fully control the Throttle & Rudder and my right hand side to side and forwards and backwards.

• 2 weeks later...
I fly Mode 2 for both, as I like to keep it like the real thing, and am very used to flight sims on computers and full-size gliding. I can see why Mode 1 would be logical for aerobatic manouvers though. Sticking with both the same mode means you can use one Tx for both helis and planes.

I would go with Mode 2 for helis for sure. The right stick then controls all cyclic inputs and the left controls throttle/collective and rudder. This happens to be like the cyclic stick on a full-size heli, with the throttle/collective on the left. Of course yaw is on pedals in the real thing.