Hangar9 FS One

James40

I have a sneaking feeling Father Christmas is bringing me FS One this year, is anyone else using this sim ?

My reason for choosing FS One over the Pheonix that just about every single thread on here seems to be about  is the Hangar9 Mustang PTS thats sat in my workshop.
I'm new to the hobby and loved the fact that the Mustang PTS is supposed to be a first and second model so possibly saving me money, plus it comes with a Spektrum DX6 so quite well spec'd.

Reading the FS One spec, it comes with the PTS Mustang so should hopefully be a great training aid for the miserable winter weather and have me ready (with an instructor) for flying when the weather improves.

How accurate are these sims to the real deal, especially when it's all Hangar9 kit, you'd think it would be quite an accurate representation of the Mustangs flying caracteristics ?

Anyone else learnt to fly using this method ?

Advert

I think FS One is the same as FMS (please  someone correct me if I am wrong) which is down loadable from the Internet. I started using this when I was under instruction. It does help but I found it quite different from the real thing.

James you are planning to fly with instruction (preferably using the buddy system)? I not I would strongly recommend it otherwise you will find yourself crashing pretty quickly (usually about 5 seconds after take of). I think the best way is to joun a club which is willing to offer you training. It can be frustrating waiting for someone  fly with you but it is worth it.

Good luck and sorry if you have heard all this before.

FS One is hangar 9's sim and a lot more advanced than FMS (or you would hope so, FS one costing more than £100!)

i fly phoenix and it is remarkably similar to the real deal although i can't comment for FS One. I should imagine it is very good like most horizon products. If you don't get FS one this christmas, buy phoenix instead because its cheaper, has the online multiplayer, its british, there are loads of free, regular updates, new models and fields and there's plenty of different models to choose from.

I've also heard that FS one needs quite a bit of computing power so i hope your pc is up to the task. phoenix runs very smoothly on my bog standard pc and laptop so can't fault it there either.

FS one is not the same as FMS. FMS is a free downlad FS one is much more advanced with many usefull features.

I have FS one and also the mustang PTS.

Although usefull if you have never touched a RC model the sim it is not the same. The sim is easier to control than the real thing and can give you a false sence of security.

Dont try to fly the PTS without an instructor or it will end in tears. My instructor has advised me to ditch the three bladed prop and replace it with two blades to get more power out. Altough I have not tried it yet it seems good advice.

It is more tricky to fly than a standard trainer but this means you need to learn faster to master it

Thanks for that Phil.

I have had a dabble with RC planes many years ago and am involved with flying as a job so I have the basics (obviously real planes and RC models are two different beasts) so I will hopefully get into the swing of things quickly ?

I thought the idea behind the 3 blade prop was to keep it slow for initial training then as you progress you remove the training aids such as the slat extensions and the flaps, it would then probably be ready for a better prop ?

I think the sim will be great for getting to grips with the basics again,  but it will never recreate real enviromental conditions you'd get at the field.

I'm joing the local club, it's only a small club but it has some well seasoned flyers so I'm sure i'll be under good instruction.

Yes the 3 bladed prop is to keep it slow for training. however it tends to have the effect of you need full throttle just to keep it the air. You can get more power from the engine giving you a little more control.

>>

But you are right the PTS system is very flexible and you can set the model up in many different ways to suit your skill level.

>>

If it does have a weakness though is it is not very good in the glide. So those dead stick landings a  lot more difficult than with a conventional type trainer.  It tends to fall fast with no power

Good, I need all the war bird training I can get and controlling height with the throttle sounds just like a war bird should handle.

I've got the Hangar9 P-51 Blue Nose on a very slow build in the workshop, I feel it will be in there quite some time before I'm anywhere near ready to fly it, it  looks pretty though

Do you get many dead sticks with the PTS or are they self induced ?

Thanks for all the advice Phil.

Got the FS One installed today, it's very nice although like you say it seems a little sympathetic to a novice (it must be, I did a few circuits and landed the 150 P-51 Stang)
Does the Mustang PTS really bounce that much if you don't absolutely grease her onto the runway ? It seems a little excessive !

No its not very bouncy. It tends to land like a brick if you are not careful.

Use the wind setting on the sim. the air is never sill when you fly for real. Use it to take off into wind and prctice up and down wind legs and cross wind legs in your circuit.

All the experianced people will tell you its more of an advanced trainer. over christmas I got myself a basic trainer (seagull boomerang) to take my A test. but I have read forums about people who have used it as their only trainer