New plane for 3D flying?

Alan

Advert

Hello Allan.
            you cant go far wrong with the weston cougar, they can be flown very slow, and on high rates very bonkers, in the right hands. or there is the seagull harrier which is also a great plane. these are my personal choice.. But there is lots to choose from out there,

Regards  weasel.........

Get a 30e size electric model. Will run on the common 2200-2500 size lipos, are very lightweight and are just about big enough and not too large. When flying at high alpha, the reliability of an electric motor will give you the peace of mind you need to focus on your flying. The Sebart and Precision aerobatics 30e size models are among the best, but my Hyperion Edge 540 is very nice as are some of the fliton models. The cheaper offerings might be worth looking at if you're on a budget, but i've heard several horror stories about their build quality

Basically, look round the various sites, alshobbies, robotbirds, smc, brc etc and find something that appeals to you. I'd recommend any of the hyperion 25e size, the PA katana MD, extra 260 and addiction and the sebart katana30 and sukhoi30

Alan Bossanova is a good model it has a longer moment from the main wing to the tail than the twist so it prop hangs better. In wind with airbrakes/flaps it will even go backwards.
Bad points the body has a weak point where the main wings bolt on at the leading edge and will break on very hard landings best to beef it up when building.
set up with Irvine 53 great mover {OS if your rich} don't forget high power servos for the control surfaces as they are barn doors in high "G" manouvers.

Hi
Had a look at the tango and it seems very good but i am flying a WOT4 at the minute and am very happy with it.
So i thought the next stage in the learning was to go for a low/mid wing plane. Thanks  Ralph on the good and bad points of the Bossanova.

What is the difference between mid wing and low wing when doing 3D flying.

Alan

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 29/12/2009 09:52:51:
bossanova might be a good chice, but the fuselage side area is minimal and as its ripmax it'll probably be overpriced and not good quality. If you do get one, i'd advise you to convert it to electric.

Hi Jonathan had a look at your plane "Hyperion Edge 540" what is the build quality like on it and would it be a good mid wing starter plane.

A limbo dancer might be a good choice also. But if you have a WOT 4 you can practice a lot of manoeuvres with that. With your skill level the choice of 3D model probable wont make that much difference. Just pick on and go for it you will learn a lot from it and the experience will help you decide on future model types you prefer

Posted by Alan on 29/12/2009 10:00:56:
Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 29/12/2009 09:52:51:
bossanova might be a good chice, but the fuselage side area is minimal and as its ripmax it'll probably be overpriced and not good quality. If you do get one, i'd advise you to convert it to electric.

Hi Jonathan had a look at your plane "Hyperion Edge 540" what is the build quality like on it and would it be a good mid wing starter plane.

The quality is really good, nice wood selection, well applied covering. It has a massive carbon tube for the wings so seems really strong. I'd say it compares favourably with the sebarts. infact, my dad has the YT Zlin 25e that is supposed to be built in the same factory as the sebarts. The kit layout of the hyperion edge and yt zlin are very similar so i'd say that the hyperion models are probably built in the same place too.

I can't comment on flight performance, because i haven't flown it yet, but i'd say it would make a good intro to 3D flying as long as you're a decent flyer. A guy in our club actually learnt to fly on something similar with hugely reduced rates so i'd say its well within your capabilites. What have you actually flown before? If you're coming straight off a trainer then maybe an interim non 3D model would be best. If you have more experience of different types of plane then go for the 30e size. I wouldn't go for any of the fun flys as i think they're a bit old school and there's a lot better looking and flying stuff nowadays. The H9 tango in particular is extraordinarily ugly