Building the Little Toot

Bob,

Apologies to Bert for a little off topic subject,check out Garygraham66 on Utube and click on All,Flying Eros and crashing,
This is my Eros that I gave to Gary and he electrified it and we flew it a couple of nights ago,I'm on the sticks for the trimming out and the I passed the tranny to one whom shall remane nameless ( Ben Hall ) and this was the result.

it will fly again,

Jim 

Advert

Hi Guys,

As the instigator of this blog, I am coming in here, although work on my Toot is somewhat in abeyance.

My own plan is the original Dennis Tapfield plan that I bought when the design was published in 1974 in the Radio Modeller magazine. My Toot was always to be the Hawk Pshaw version as I had /have an article about the full size version that was published in the American modeller ten years earlier with a plan for a control line version.

The pointed spats seem to be the only difference apart from the colour scheme which is, of course, based on the U.S. Army's Curtis Hawk P6e of the thirties finished in the snow owl scheme. Probably the most distinctive military  scheme ever. Being a craft teacher I moulded my own spats in GRP back then in the mid seventies.On deciding a year or so ago that the Toot was going to be on my 'to build' list, I looked for a cowl moulding and found one (and spats)  in myTraplet catalogue. (Am I now persona non grata ?). At the time I was so gratified that D.T's plan was listed. I do not know about any Toot 'kits'. Mine is scratch built.

For the benefit of newcomers to the blog, I returned to modelling three years ago. A poor time weather wise. Isn't it still ? I have made better progress this year but not getting in the flying practice I need. I have a fleet of seven planes, of which I am still learning on the first and another two have been test flown but not by me. And I have these two scale models on the stocks. In fact both are well on, but I am not motivated to work night and day on them.

However, the Puss Moth is in part ready for covering and I have my Solartex ready. I think it should be ready for it's maiden about the end of August.Then on with the Toot which, I think will take me another couple of months.

Oh, my passion is because I designed a semi scale Hawk for free flight back in the mid sixties which was published as a plan in Aeromodeller.

Cheers. Alan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Chaps,

Toot update, I've just removed ASP 90fs and fitted a Super Tigre 90 2s,what a difference,
The 4s was marginal,ok if you want to TOOTLE about ( pardon the pun),
90 2s gives it a new dimension its brill.

If 4s power is used a 120 will be in order to make it perform, the only problem now is making a silencer to fit inside the cowl.

JIm

Hi Jim
The cowl I have purchasesd from my hobbys is most masive not expecting any problems.

I have got a choice of engines,o/s 120 surpass,saito 125 GK,o/s 120 surpass pumped and a satio 130 twin, to many to choce from, lucky old me.

My mates toot origioanly had the engine (a 1983 o/s fs 90 fs)  fitted inverted but was later change to horizontal because the engine occasionalty backfired.

I was quite supprised at performance verry good but He did say that more power would be way to go,

I will be going to fitt a fourstroke more for the loverly sound they make rather than performance,

How have you got yours set up. inverted or horizontal
Bert

Bert,

its got to be a 120 if you want performance,the problem I have is if I fitted a 120 now I would have to buy another cowl because the 120 is longer and the cowl is now cut to fit the shorter engine.

Totally agree with you regarding the sound,
My engine is inverted with a remote glow connector.

Jim

Hi Jim /All

I see you have changed engines, i was going to fit my S/T 75 or 90  2st in my toot ,but fitted Laser 90 4/st instead.
Do you know final weight of your toot ,mine came out at 10lb 6oz with Laser 90.& ally spinner.
Have still not had chance to fly mine yet,have been to busy & when i had free day it was either blower hard or pouring hard, one of the probs living on the coast,Hopefully it will be next week. 

Cheers  Barry.

• 2 months later...
Hi All

Sorry for delay in further info on Lil toot as been pre occupied on other things eg 1/3 scale druine turbulent.

Toot took to the air today mon 1st nov quite an un eventful 1st flight just a couple of  clicks of right trim, take off a bit slugish,longish wet grass + spats + tight engine running rich.

I did manage a 4 point vertical roll on available power should improve when run in  Lasers 
reckon app 3hrs running to loosen up,had app 50 mins so far ,so still running it rich.
Lovely slow 3 point landings quite surprised as it weighs 10 1/2 lb,well pleased so far.

Cheers  Barry

Hi Jim

I would fit my S/T 90 in mine but its just been fitted in my Turby.
Wife keeps asking what i want for xmas,i surpose i could ask her for a Laser 120 or 150
as they have same size crankcases & should fit straight in,[ I should be so lucky],might be worth a try though.

Cheers barry

Barry,

I have ST90 in mine at present and its a great improvement on the ASP90 fs,only problem is it wont start when the Toot is right way up,I have to turn the plane upside down to start it ---- it fires up first time when its sitting upright,a good friend of mine   ( Steve Hargreves )diagnosed the problem first time ,Oil is draining down into the plug and putting the fire out,

Never had any probs starting my 120 inverted in my Tigermoth so it will be going in the Toot.

Stay cool

PS  I hope Alan is OK./

Jim

Hi Guys,

Thanks Jim, yes, I'm OK. Barry's Toot looks magnificent, pleased to hear it flew well.

Actually, like Barry I have been preoccupied with my other model, the Puss Moth and it is approaching  completion and looking like an aeroplane. At the risk of being too divertery  !!! the wings and tail feathers are finished and look fairly splendid in their silver Solartex, which I enjoyed using.

I started the fuselage some two years ago, but have hade to do a lot of thinking and fiddling and hacking about. Some because it will be leccy powered but much because I was working from a plan without any form of instructions. And it occured to me that although I was an old time aeromodeller, I had never built a "proper" scale model since those KK jobbies when I was still a teenager. I had thought of the Moth as being a sort of tarted up high wing trainer, but to give it the minimum of scale credibility requires a lot of additional thought and labour.

Frankly, I seriously believe the Toot will be much easier to finish off. We will see. When I have finished the Moth and am back on the Toot I will post a couple of pics.

Now you guys are worrying me with your talk of 90's and 120's. One reason for my building the Toot is that I have this rather lovely Webra Blackhead 61, which has been lovingly restored and is the capacity of motor for which the model was designed. When I get around to flying it, I do not expect I will be attempting more than basic  aerobatics.

As for flying, these latter months have been poor for me. I have had thirteen flights since my return from Corfu last May. Bill, my instructor, bless ihis soul, has about six 'disciples'. We get to the field on a suitable day and one by one we go through the paces. Because it may be several days or longer since the last fliight, he likes to take off and check the ship is okay, then I get about ten minutes stick time before he takes over to land. Then I (and the the others) prepare my model for a second flight. But, by the time Bill has had a turn with all of us, fair do's, time has run out and it is pack up and head for home  !!

Well.  I've been flogging the Simulator (Phoenix) and am now doing touch and goes, not always successfully, and some crude loops and rolls. I feel I have overcome a plateau of learning and now find it virtually second nature to make the correct 'corrections'.. I don't know if I shall be able to fly again this side of next Spring. I have realised that even if I was already a capable flyer, it is something I will never be able to do alone. I shall, because of my legs, always require someone to assist me, even if they know nothing of model flying. However, Corfu beckons and I shall decide by Christmas if I will have another week there to refine my skills.

Cheers for now. Alan.

Alan,
Good to hear from you,

This model as you say was designed for a 60,DT used Merco 61 and in their day were not very powerful,I used to have the twin plug version in one of my models.
I think your 60 wil fly the model but if you pardon the pun you will just be Tootling around,from the experienced gained with mine it really needs more power than a 60.
I have Super Tigre 90 two stroke fitted at present and its spot on but as you have probably read it will not start inverted so Os120 fs is going in as soon as I have time,never had any problems starting a 4st inverted.

I'll keep you and Barry informed
stay cool

JIm

Hi Jim/ All

I have brazed up a rectangular brass silencer for my S/T 90 in my turbulant,it runs a treat on a 16x6 masterprop.but will have to try in inverted before flying.have just purchased some glow plugs from model technics,they advertise them as especially for 4 & 2 stroke engine when fitted inverted [.model technics super cat 4stroke glow plugs with supercatalyitic coil for 0-30% nitro.have not had chance to tryone yet.The laser 90 is inverted in toot & runs like a swiss watch,flat out or on tickover on standard plug supplied with engine.My S/T 75 in my 65" gangster will do inverted circuits all day long without missing a beat,probably down to choice of plug.

Cheers  Barry

Hi Jim/ All

I have brazed up a rectangular brass silencer for my S/T 90 in my turbulant,it runs a treat on a 16x6 masterprop.but will have to try in inverted before flying.have just purchased some glow plugs from model technics,they advertise them as especially for 4 & 2 stroke engine when fitted inverted [.model technics super cat 4stroke glow plugs with supercatalyitic coil for 0-30% nitro.have not had chance to tryone yet.The laser 90 is inverted in toot & runs like a swiss watch,flat out or on tickover on standard plug supplied with engine.My S/T 75 in my 65" gangster will do inverted circuits all day long without missing a beat,probably down to choice of plug.

Cheers  Barry

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All

I was searching the internet a few days ago & came across following
www.magazineexchange.co.uk they actually have copies of March 1975 Radio Modeller
with the Lil toot plan & write up,mine came this morning Sat 27 th price 99pence +postage
They seem to do virtually all mod mags. hope this is of some interest for budding builders.
I gave my early rm mage away several years ago including theabove,thing i will hang on to my mags in future.

Barry

• 6 months later...
Hi all

Toot has now had 17 flights, laser loosened up now & performs quite well,fantastic smooth machine to fly,will fly the length of our air strip in a cross wind without having to touch the sticks .Jim you where right about the S/T 90 not starting inverted,i spent 1/2 hr with my turbulent trying to start it inverted ,it started once after a load of messing about,so have now fitted my OS 91 surpass,i am half way through a 70" Zlin Akrobat at the moment
will be fitting a Laser 100 so should go well,will post some pics,
How are the other toots coming along?

Cheers Barry.

Hi to all
Well after cutting some of the parts out I got side tracked with other projects.

It has been that long since I started I was asked the other day how far I had got with the build of toots

I since have been offered a secondhand one at a very reasonable price

So I will be collecting her shortly and have got a Laser 120 to fit into her
Bert

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bert

You wont be disappointed with Toot,a joy to fly,Laser 120 sounds about right,my 90
is still a bit tight but improving with every flight,i might swop it over for my Laser 100
& put the Laser 90 in the Zlin Akrobat when ready.
Keep us informed how it goes,

Cheers

Barry