CAP 232

Advert

The wind was pretty difficult this morning.So bad that a Fun Fly competition was cancelled.So with few people at the field my instructor was able to give the 232 its maiden flight.The C of G appeared to be not far off,and pre flight checks were soon carried out  satisfactorily  and its take off was OK.Although I had already turned the rates down,the model had a  fairly viciuos tip stall when the elevator was used.It was high enough to get out of trouble,and after a few manouvres landed ok.My instructor feels it needs another 100 grams in the nose and reduce the ailerons and elevator to 50%.hopefully another flight tuesday.

The changes have made all the difference.The extra weight was the main thing.We reduced the rates and set both elevator ans aileron on duel rates 70% an 50% on both.The model flew well on both.the reduction in prop size made all the difference with the engine also..It was very much touch and  go as the wind was very strong and in the worst direction possible so my test pilot  was not happy about flying unless I exonerated him from all responsibility if the model was damaged.It took off perfectly and he immediately said it was dramatically improved.After the test flight the landing was to say the least interesting with the wind trying to drift the model into the trees it came in sideways with lots of ruddert to make a perfect landing.I didnt feel confident enough to take the contr0ls yet but the model is now ready for me when Im ready for it

• 1 month later...
At last Ive flown the Cap 232 myself.I didnt take off or land yet.It flew very well very responsive but there is a problem.On compltion of a turn sometimes it would drop a wing so Im going to add another 50g to the front and reduce the ailerons and elevator a bit more,see how that goes.The Thunder Tiger 46 Pro seems powerfull enough.

I did think that Bruce,my expert set the speed and as it was my first flight I didnt touch it.I wasnt flying that slowly though.Im going to re check the recommended control throw measurements erom the instructions.It certainly rolls much faster than anything else Ive flown

• 2 months later...
After the sad  demise of my Cap 232  Ive spent time looking at it and as its only had 2 flights I have to try to repair it.It is in mint condition apart from the front end missing and Ive got nothing to lose in having a go.It looks to me as if the weight added to the front actually caused a lot more damage.there was a lot of weight added  to the front and I think that is where it all went wrong Now with the c of g guage ill be able to set the cofg up as per speck and try to learn to fly it accordingly.Of course I am  running before I can walk here after a couple of evenings well see where ive got myself

Before its first flight

And after my first proper flight with it

sorry to hear about that Stephen as you are aware these aircraft are very unforgiving and if you lean on the elevator too much they will snap on you, it always amazes me when people recommend these type of aircraft to people still learning not everyone is a ace pilot at the age of 3

go for a re-build mate you have nothing to loose

I totally agree with you Lee and after the successful repair of the Texan its spurred me on to have a go.I took it out of the shed last night whist waiting for some epoxy to dry,put the parts on the table and started to work out in my head the direction to go in.It doesnt need to be pretty becaise the square front end is only there to hold the engine in the right place and is all covered up by the cowl.Its making sure its good and straight is the main thing

Just finished my evenings efforts and have rebuilt thefront end.Fair few parts missing so have had to ad lib a bit.Put a few strengthening braces in .ive some parts missing in the fuselage that Ill make and fit ,before making the initial join of the 2 halves tomorrow.I need to set the fuselage nice and straight to offer  the front part up to itso Il need to clear the decks and use a couple of large wall tiles I use for cutting and soldering on.when I say large there really big and flat

Not a good start to the day,Slipped and fell over in the bath,my worst leg bending underneath me ,1 it really really hurt, and 2 didnt know it would bend that far,slightly sprained my ankle and done something very painfull to my side.Finished up back in bed,wrote a very long PM that promptly disappeared,,wrote a long post on this thread and had inadvertantly switched the wireless switch off so lost that.After resting for an hour managed to get downstairs,but as I have to hold things to walk around that hurt my side.Still sat myself at the workbench and continued the repair.Had a ;ot of problems getting the 2 halves lined upand after several attempts managed to figure out how to get the first join to stay lined up long enough for the epoxy to dry.Left that one with the clips still in place to line and join the second.Left them for an hour to make sure they were good snd secure then the next to were a doddle.Ive now added extra joiners to make sure .Ive just resheeted the top and repaired the sheeting damaged at the sides.Im resting again at the moment and taken more pain killers.Once they start working i can return to the work bench and do some filling..I found a very small repait[r on the wing by the dowel that was easy, and Ive tried the wing fitment and its perfect.Im really pleased with the way this repair has gone ,I was convinced it was a gonner.Flanker has a lot to be thanked for he has inspired a lot of us to have a go where before we wouldnt.The statues are coming along well also.Ive ordered a new cowl.The only worry I have is where on earth the thrust line will be and how the model will react on take off,time will tell.From the way the wing fitted so perfectly the fuselage has gone back together very straight.the only worry I have is the wengine mount had been badly torn out ans a lot was missing from one side.It doesnt look to bad though.

Ive struggled down stairs promplty crash tested the Cap,wnet to put it on my lap to do the filling,it slipped out of my hand rolled across the table and fell on the floor the other side and it passed totally unscathed thank goodness.Ive completed the filling,Id left my filler knife out on the patio,tried to get 2 pairs of shoes on gave up and used a scrap piece of ply.Im leaving the filler to dry over night may get up during the night and  rub it down if I wake up.Give me something to do

Problem is David with my current injuries I arrived back from the field very tired came to bed to rest my knees and side started to watch motoGP fell asleep,just woke up  just now and havent had dinner yet.So I may go and work on the Cap shortly having been spurred on by the success of the Texan.Thats exactly what happened last night also

Hiya,

My elsdest son has this CAP on electric.

It needed lots of lead up front to make it behave itself - and the elevators turned down.

Now its a great flyer has a 42/50 motor with a 14x8 prop and a 4s 5000 Lipo.

They can be a nightmare if you dont keep them moving though - good luck with the rebuild.

Chris

Hi Chris,When you do the C of G is the model very nose heavy.Im flying mine with a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro and added a total of 350 grams to the nose,but to get the C of G right ti start with I added 200 grams.Opinion has it that I d gone to nose heavy what do you think.Im doing all this work wondering if Ill be able to fly it comfortably I gave it a good coat of filler before leaving for work and when I returned home rubbed it down and covered it.Im pleased with the result.The camers was upstairs and it was to painfull to get it so maybe tomoorow .Can start putting the engine,servos U/C etc back on soon.Waiting for thhe cowl to arrive

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 16/08/2010 21:58:45