Taking the plunge - FPV

Matt: You might be interested to know that this week we have been able to reduce all of our prices (by de-registering for VAT and by taking advantage of some economies of scale and buying components in much much bigger bulk).

There are some really big savings to be had on our website.  The biggest is 47.5%! 

For example our Advanced Fligth Kit Box was £399, now it is £299.  Perhaps you will be able to afford it sooner than you think!

All the best

Simon

Aw nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will these prices persist for a couple of months or so? I'm waiting for an early retirement payout, but the NHS pension schemes aren't quick to process, won't have the required cash until then...

Yes, for sure, count me in on one, are your other products covered by the same price processing, i.e. cheaper?

I am so looking forward to trying this!

Matt

Oops- just re read your post-you DO!! Excellent news.

Edited By Matt Halton on 26/03/2010 21:38:39

Haven't given this a lot of time today but there is a good reason.
A very VERY nice man gave me a Porsche to play with just for this weekend (I'm beginning to think that in a past life I gave lots to charity or something...) Anyway, as you'll understand my better half an I have been out enjoying ourselves. I have to say it goes like a stabbed rat but sadly it's proved that a) we're too old to be jumping in and out of something so small and low and b) we need something quieter and with more padding. Still, one should never look a gift horse etc etc

Today's progress with the FPV not brilliant I'm afraid.
I swapped out the Schultz (which will be winging it's way back to you asap Clive, thanks), and installed the Corona. (Is it me or do the flashes on the Rx bear absolutely no resemblance to those in the instructions ?)
Anyway, it went in and guess what, the gears in the pan AND tilt servos were stripped in the last crash so here we go again. 
Considering the problems are so small this project is really taking its time, Sorry folks.
Off to order some more servos (do you think half a dozen would work out cheaper?) 

The good news is that Pan/tilt set-up problems aside IT FLIES glitch free!!!
I think the Corona is the way to go then.... 

Tony, ever since I crashed my Seagull decathlon due to servo glitching and subsequently installed a Corona synth'd reciever, I have never had a problem. Now I seldom use anything but the Corona RP8D1 in any model and they are so cheap from GiantCod. I understand that you shouldn't use them at the extreme ends of the 35Mhz frequency spectrum but I use Channel 66 and on a down aerial range check I get 50% greater range than any other reciever that I have. I will say that the aerial wire is extremely fragile but thats the only critisism I have. Hope all goes well for you now.

Edited By Colin Naylar on 27/03/2010 18:13:22

• 2 weeks later...
Took the rig up to the club today in full confidence that the servo glitching / interference problems had been resolved and guess what.... the camera wouldn't work. Well, to be more precise - the Archos DVRecorder made an awful loud 'white noise' kind of racket, The Diversity box seemed to be doing it's normal flashing etc, couldn't get a peep out of the goggles.
Clearly, for those regular readers, you'll know that the camera has been on-board during a number of crashes now so in fairness that could be the problem.
I think I'll pack it up and drop it back to FPV for testing / checking.
Another very disappointing day.

Hi Tony,

I thought we agreed that you'd go back to basics and get each part working reliably first.  This way you prove each element of the project as you go along and you also learn how to use each piece of equipment as you go along.

Rather than simpy connecting the receiver to the goggles you've added the diversity, a second receiver and a second antenna (presumably...otherwise that's probably your problem!) and an Archos recording device.  There's a lot to understand and correctly setup there.

Also, can't this all be tested at home on your farm?  I think you'll make very slow progress if you only do any kind of setting up/ testing in good weather and when you can make the trip to the club.  I'd get it all configured and proven at home and then be ready to go on a good weather day.

Are you anywhere near Esher & District Model Club by any chance?  They recently bought an FPV system for their club and this is the feedback from their first day out with it:

Finally got to fly it last Saturday using the 8dB patch antenna on a full size camera tripod which seemed to give excellent picture quality even when the model was close to side on (although no 2.4GHz transmitters were on that day as the weather was poor) Only interference we got was on turning cross wind which was very short lived and I suspect was due to the transmitter aerial being hidden behind the port motor for a second or two (Twinstar). Other than that our first day was very successful - rather too succcesful - later in the day it got very bumpy and I had to stop because I was starting to get airsick!!!!>>

>>

Thanks for the excellent service,>>

>>

Keith England >>

PRO Esher & District Model Flying Club.

If you are anywhere near them perhaps you could go over and see how it all works.

All the best

Simon Dale
>>

Simon,
Thanks for the message.
In a way the step by step is what I did. I've test flow the plane, got the head-tracker sorted and generally one by one sorted most of the other problems. The camera is a new one. I tried it without the Diversity box  second antenna and DVR but still nothing. I'll pack it up and send it back when I have time. If you could just confirm it's still working please that would be good.
Thanks
Tony 

Hi Tony,

We certainly don't recommend trying to use the head tracker or diversity in your first flights because thats a heck of a lot to get to grips with all at once - please see the manual and safety guidelines on our website.

I'm very happy to take a look at the stuff and confirm if it is working or not but can't you do this on your kitchen table and save yourself the postage?  I think you tested it for a period of time indoors once before and confirmed it was all working fine (I guess you've crashed a couple of times since then though).

Our returns address is different to our usual address.  Please see the contact us section of our website.

All the best

Simon

Edited By Simon Dale - Firstpersonview.co.uk on 12/04/2010 12:28:47

• 1 month later...
Hi Tony,
Sadly not.
I spent a lot of time trying to hook it all together, even investing in the Diversity box and additional receiver and patch antenna but sadly it never seemed to work properly. By a process of elimination I think I've managed to discover that the second Rx is faulty - every time I plug this into the Diversity box it goes berserk and I lose the  video signal altogether.
Have to say it's been lying in a corner but I'm getting much more enjoyment out of the Gloster G40 build so when I do have the time I spend it on that instead. Shame really. It's probably down to my limited knowledge of electronics. I get easily frustrated. If it had been a model build problem I'd have enjoyed the process of working out what was wrong and fixing it - with electronics, as I can't see the problem and even if I can, I know i can't fix it, what's the point in looking.
If I wasn't so busy with work I'd probably trudge on.
Maybe you should give it a shot - I gathered from earlier posts that you have the right incentive...game counts, I think...? 

Yes, you've got a good memory, I was worried about my 65 year old eyes being able to see the image in the goggles, since even with 3.5 diopter I have difficulty focussing closer than 35cm. Even at the new price of 299 it's still a lot of money in our currency if it's just going to lie in a drawer. I did PM Simon but it seems he doesn't read them. I'm going to be in the UK, mid July to mid August so I'm hoping to have a squint through some and make a decision. I really think you should persevere, I've enjoyed reading about your trials and tribulations. Somehow you don't really learn anything when you get it right first time.

Hi Tony,
Have no fear. I never give up but I do have to prioritise sometimes.
Simon isn't a regular to this site so that may be why he's not responded. His email is [email protected] if this helps!
On the basis of not learning anything from getting it right first time I should be a genius but maybe it doesn't work that way.... 
Hope you have a good trip back here in Blighty.

Hi Tony,
Inspired by your posting I attempted to get the whole thing working again.
Firstly I tried the whole thing head-tracker, Diversity etc etc.
Battery in the supply to the goggles was flat! Charged that as far as poss given failing light and limited time.
Picked up the Archos recorder and decided that was a waste of time - it really is pants so I thought I'd save myself the pain.
The diversity box bleeps continously, flashes all its lights and no video so I binned that and simply attached the goggles to the video Rx.
The hot glue connecting the camera to the pan mount broke away so I ditched the head tracker.
Right, simple set-up. No head-tracker, no Diversity, no video recorder.
Test - not bad on the whole.
Up to the field, Checked the range - seemed OK. Launched and crashed - no damage. Lost all contact with the plane.
Took it apart and found that the Corona Rx had been damaged in an earlier crash and only worked if you squeezed it between your fingers.
Rigged up a solution in the field, launched and the plane did an immediate right turn, no control and.....crashed.
Not my favourite RC experience.
Back home to order a new Rx, and to fully charge the battery to the camera, the battery for the Rx the battery for the plane, the battery for the goggles oh and while I'm at it, I'll charge the Archos DV recorder and my Tx. You never know i may be inspired to try again when the new Rx arrives!!!

I like the Corona stuff, never had a problem on 35meg, always rock solid. I'm in the process of modifying one of my JR txs' to Corona 2.4gig, I'm going to put the mod process on the Web site. Please keep us posted, I know there's more out there that are interested but don't say much.

Hi Tony,

It sounds like you're still having RC related, rather than FPV related, issues (and I'd still recommend getting your Easystar flying really reliably for a good few flights before putting your FPV gear anywhere near it - cheaper that way!) but I wonder if you can get up to see us in Yorkshire at some point soon and we'll get your FPVing once and for all!?

I forget exactly where you are in the world but the other alternative perhaps is Kent Flight School who now have about 4 FPV aircraft and I'm sure would be happy to cast an eye over your stuff for you if you went along there.

All the best

Simon

Hi Simon,
Yorkshire!!!? I thought you were on the south coast. My childhood intro to RC planes was finishing and flying a pal's Ben Buckle on Ilkley Moor (bar t'at of course).
I think, given the investment so far I may take you up on that.
I'll get the new Corona Rx and try a few flights with the Easy first. If that goes to plan but I still have no luck with it I'll give you a call.
Thanks for the response.

• 2 months later...
Hi Tony, How have you got on? ?I thought you might be interested in two recent forum threads both about our Advanced Flight Kit. ?One is on the UK FPV Association's website (FPVUK.org) and one is on RCGROUPS.com. ?In both threads there are at least 4 people who have that box and I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out if you need it, as am I. http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/index.php/topic,833.0.html http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294416 The offer is still there to meet up if you'd like, or you may find that one of the guys on those threads is closer to you and willing to meet up of course. All the best Simon